back to article Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank becomes TV reality

It's taken almost 20 years, but Alan Partridge fans may finally get to see what is considered one of the great unmade TV series: Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank. A 1997 episode of I'm Alan Partridge saw the eponymous hero pitch an increasingly bizarre list of programme ideas to a BBC executive, as he suffered a nervous …

1. aidanstevens
    Thumb Up

Yes!

Jurassic Park!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

Re: Yes!

I'm still waiting for the local burger van to comply with my request for a 'spinal chord in a bap'.

I've always liked Chris's attitude to life, and Partridge is a legend. The trailer made me laugh out loud, so it certainly has lots of promise!

The only character that Partridge played that I could never really get on with was Steve Coogan - he seemed so dull in comparison.

1. Ben Bonsall

Not the Probe!

2. Vinyl-Junkie
        Facepalm

I think you may find that the van has, in fact, complied with your request, they just haven't told you....

2. DrBobK

I always thought Chris Eubank should be the new James Bond. This is a good second best.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 007

That lisp would make the 7 sound a bit comical though.

3. Killing Time

Chris Eubank

Due to his fighting style you are unlikely to see a tougher boxer than Chris Eubank and that punishment seems to have helped shape a truly unique character clearly not afraid to send himself up and have a little fun.

It's difficult to see how a younger audience without direct knowledge of Chris' past would get the joke and therefore how much mileage they get out of this premise remains to be seen....

1. wolfetone Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Chris Eubank

I think it's working on the point that you have an overly posh chap going around trying out hostels that have an image of being run down and dingy. They could have had any posh person on there doing the same as Eubank, it's just it's a bit funnier that the link had already been made by Partridge.

I bet in the Hostelworld offices it was truly an "A-HA" moment.

And, for the record, Steve Collins was a tougher boxer than Eubank.

1. Killing Time

Yeah, but if you don't know the background you see a buffoon and Chris Eubank is anything but.

And, for the record, as Eubank is and always was a counter puncher he only stepped up when he was taking punishment and getting hurt. You are entitled to your opinion but Benn V Eubank 1 and sadly Eubank v Watson, enough said...

1. wolfetone Silver badge

And you're entitled to your opinion.

And while we're putting things on the record, what isn't that well known about Eubank vs Watson is that Boxing in the UK was on a knife edge of being banned because of the injuries sustained by Watson. If you watch the video back, he was completely out of it in the last round. People today bemoan referee's who step in to stop a boxer who starts to wobble a little bit, but they forget about Watson and how the referee allowed the fight to carry on far longer than should have been allowed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>>> Due to his fighting style you are unlikely to see a tougher boxer than Chris Eubank and that punishment seems to have helped shape a truly unique character clearly not afraid to send himself up and have a little fun.

Agreed, great man. And an absolutely fantastic boxer.

4. Jim 59

Back of the net.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

But... will they let him park his Truck

outside the hostel?

Wonderful stuff. I'm sure the YHA could do with a bit of Championing.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Monkey Tennis"

WHEN???

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Smell my cheese"

Remember, Partridge had a dark side too.

8. Doogie Howser MD

Location, location, location

Here's hoping they send him to hostels in Essex and Sussex.

With that lisp it'll be comedy gold.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Monkey Tennis or as its sometimes called women's football

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That would be the women's football team that do better than the shower we've had for the last 60 years in the mens game? Actually goes for most sports these days we do these days.

1. TheProf

" the shower we've had for the last 60 years in the mens game?"

No wonder they're rubbish if they've had the same team for the past 60 years.

Actually 60 years would be from 1955 to now. I'm assuming England when you say 'the shower'; they won the world cup in 1966.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Lost all faith

Your juxtaposition of "women's football" and "shower" distracted me for a moment there. (Really got to get myself a girlfriend...!)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't be long before a SJW would suggest that Monkey Tennis could be used to refer to certain black tennis players and therefore is an oppressive idea.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The quality of football in the Women's World cup was VERY poor (I'd put it little above decent junior league standard). The BBC bullsh1ted it an gave it plenty of airtime but that doesn't distract from the point that it was a shocking standard. And it doesn't matter how well our team did that doesn't come in to the argument. Even in the game that Germany won 10:0 the German Goalie (meant to be about the best woman's goalie) was terrible she didn't have many saves to make but nearly let in at least 2 total howlers

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Chuck a few billion quid at any sport and see the quality improve. When they have to go back to working 5 days a week, it's hardly surprising is it?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

there's actually plenty of money in the women's game in several countries and its pro, standard is still poor

1. hplasm
            Meh

Well-

there's actually plenty shittonnes of money in the men's game in several countries and its pro, standard is still poor.

There you go

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Well-

but sill MILES higher standard than the women's game

10. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Coat

Throwing shit against a wall ...

...with Chris Eubank ?

1. i steal your leccy
      Thumb Up

Re: Throwing shit against a wall ...

Like the concept but it needs a safer pair of hands....i'm thinking, Davina McCall.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC troll re: monkey football

What personal inadequacy are you trying to compensate for? Did the other boys always make you play in goal?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if your American readers understand whats going on here?

As Al Murray put it: "Britain and the USA, divided by a common language and a huge ocean....thank f**k".

1. Irony Deficient

Re: I wonder if your American readers understand what’s going on here?

Anonymous Coward, no, we haven’t a clue why you’re dropping apostrophes.

13. russell 6

He was a great boxer no doubt but an ego the size of a planet. Years ago I was at a Gabrielle concert at Rony Scotts jazz club. After the show finished he placed himself at the door asking people if they wanted autographs. As I remember, most people just walked past him, The night was not about him but he wanted to make it so.

It was a good concert by the way, small and intimate and my friends and I had the table directly in front of the stage. After the show Gabrielle came off the stage and gave me a kiss, god knows why, but it was a good evening.

14. emmanuel goldstein

i once saw chris eubank buy a litre of Evian at a garage, pour a bit onto his hands to clean them after filling his car, then chuck the almost full bottle in the bin. it was a bizarre moment I will never, ever forget and I've been a fan ever since.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And to think, you got a kiss and to most people she's Out of Reach

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inner City Sumo

I'm thinking, a clips based programme using footage gleaned from the CCTV cameras in pub carparks, with Harry Hill or the bloke who does the voiceover for 'Come dine with me'?

1. hplasm
      Coat

Re: Inner City Sumo

Inner City Sumo - A CCTV camera outside Greggs.

16. i steal your leccy

"FAT TONGUE"

A programme where Celebrities attempt to 'Out-Lisp' each other in order to win £1000 for a charity of their choice.

(A bit bare-bones at the moment so any fills would be appreciated)

17. John Styles

More ideas

"The great British beat-off" - The biscuit game reinvented for the 2010s TV generation

"Pro celebrity ring-the-bell-and-run-away" - like Around with Alliss but with 'ring the bell and run away'

1. JimmyPage Silver badge

Re: More ideas

Celebrity Beekeeping ?

Feltch with [Vanessa] Feltz ?

2. emmanuel goldstein

Re: More ideas

"now Mona, Mona. Did your husband Alf shit himself, or shoot himself?"

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. RIP.

18. TimNevins
    Thumb Up

Monkey Tennis

This has already been implemented albeit in a computer game.

See 'Super Monkey Ball' mini-games. One does indeed has monkeys playing tennis.

19. Graphsboy

A better programme from Pete and Dud

Celebrity Blow Your Tits Off

20. i steal your leccy

"Thumbs Up"

Where celebrities give a 'thumbs up' to the camera, every time they see something they want in an ARGOS catalog.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Sausage and Beans in a Cup"

F**king funny that:)

22. Chris G

Political Suicide

A show where politicians are given the choice of telling the truth or killing themselves ( They get to choose the method)

I think it would clear the benches a bit and get reasonable viewing figures!

23. g00se

Jackanackanory!

24. Planty Bronze badge

Tony Hayers will be spinning in his grave

Still waiting however for Chas and Dave arm wrestling.

25. TheProf
    Devil

Celebrity tandem parachuting

The idea is quite simple, as indeed are the celebrities.

Celebrities are trained how to parachute. At the end of the hilarious week a pair of celebrities are strapped back-to-back, each being told that the celebrity on their back is their 'Celebrity Parachute.'

Then they get chucked out of an aircraft.

(Quite right: too much use of the word celebrity.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Celebrity tandem parachuting

I don't use the 'C' word any more - it's PITMs - "People In The Media". The 'C' word is derived from the verb celebrate and I sure as hell don't celebrate the existence of all the wannabes. They are simply noise from social media. Therefore, you idea flies.....

1. TheProf
        Devil

Re: Celebrity tandem parachuting

As long as the idea flies and not the defenestrated celebrities.

I've come to dislike the C word too but I think calling them 'people' is just a step too far.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon