back to article Using complicated electrical devices to curry favour with brats – the new black?

With thousands of GCSE pupils eagerly awaiting their results, UK electrical retailer Currys has, strangely, revealed the length to which parents are willing to go (essentially handing over lots of money) to equip children "with the technology they need for further study". The company said that nine out of ten parents …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Teiwaz
      Go

To True...

I was not rewarded for the grades on their own, but for achieving the entry requirements and getting accepted to my next course after GCSE, in this case 4 C's for an IT BTEC*.

I don't know what an 'F' stands for in these days. I doubt in my parents time things would have been quite so 'sensitive', and I'm sure to them, an 'F' grade most certainly meant FAIL.

*The reward was a significant amount to help me get my first 'pc' to help continue my studies (a couple of years earlier I really badgered them, wanting a BBC/acorn, it was the pinnacle of IT to me then, how little I knew (didn't get it, of course).

1. Dr. G. Freeman

Yep, was "bribed" with tech to get good passes at Standard Grades (Scottish GCSE's) back in the old days (1997)

was promised a Casio CA53 calculator watch for 5 or more passes* (got 8)

So it's not a new phenomenon.

*surprisingly, one of them had to be maths, to get a calculator.

2. Jim 59

Re: To True...

The reward was a significant amount to help me get my first 'pc' to help continue my studies (a couple of years earlier I really badgered them, wanting a BBC/acorn, it was the pinnacle of IT to me then, how little I knew (didn't get it, of course).

It was the pinnacle of expenditure too. If you are talking about 1984 or thereabouts, a BBC B was £1200 in today's money, more than the parents in the article are offering. And that's without the essential monitor and keyboard.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Ughh

Looking at that picture a gym membership seems a more appropriate reward. Costs about the same too.

This is even if we take into account that the group was selected specifically for the photoshoot so the "gently rolling" "easier to jump over than go around" individuals were not admitted to it in the first place. Even in this case they ended up with a group where nearly everyone has an inch or so of "puppy fat" and a belly overhanging over the jeans belt.

Disclaimer - I am probably spoiled by having two kids which become restless if they have done less than one hour and a half of physical exercise a day. No subcutaneous (aka puppy) fat at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ughh@ Volands right hand

Come to San Antonio. These kids look positively anorexic by comparison. Puppy Fat? More like fireplug around here.

I noticed the down votes which is too bad. Fat is not healthy and these kids are well on their way but the puppy rolls look like alcohol induced fat.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ughh@ Volands right hand

Fat is not healthy

It's pretty much vital though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ughh

There's also the problem of the freakishly long arms.

Did they photoshop the wrong bits?

3. Dave559 Silver badge

Re: Ughh

Was the original article photo perhaps replaced with a different one post-publication? I have to say that absolutely none of the "pupils" in the photo that I see (a group on a cobbled path, most of whom are wearing brightly-coloured t-shirts and blue jeans) are in any way what I would describe as fat, not even a little on the cuddly side. Just as importantly, none of them appear to be unhealthily skinny, either.

Human beings come in all shapes and sizes, and (within healthy limits at either end) that's part of what we love about each other. The general principle of Rule 34 shows that a range of diversity is not a bad thing.

Many people, perhaps especially teenagers, can be under far too much media pressure to try to conform to certain narrowly-defined types of body appearance, sometimes leading to serious problems such as anorexia, bulimia, depression and self-harm, and so I'm somewhat concerned by the comments here, as they seem to be symptomatic of exactly that sort of inappropriate media pressure.

If any of the pupils in the photo were actually substantially overweight (and therefore perhaps needing to give better attention to their diet and level of exercise – and perhaps also in need of counselling in case they may have any other underlying problems), I could understand such comments (although unless somebody is considerably overweight, it's still impolite to comment about somebody who you don't actually know), but these people all seem to be perfectly healthy shapes and sizes (they are selected models for a staged photo, after all!), and so I do find these comments really rather disturbing. They really aren't fat in any way at all! (And, if you are a Reg-reader of that age, and look similar to those in the photo, and may be concerned from what you read here (or may hear or see from other media or from pathetic bullies) that you might be "fat", really, you have nothing to worry about size-wise at all.)

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

What's wrong with that image?

Why is there no gravity? Are they actually inside a spun-down O'Neill cylinder? Has the first phase Operation British begun? Inquiring minds etc.

1. Teiwaz
      Thumb Up

Re: What's wrong with that image?

Ha' an upvote.

Seriously the most 'zen' post I've read in a while, complete with link to the over-complicated plot to a Giant-Mecha Anime, which, after reading (twice) still left me without* even after eventually finding the 'british' ref.

* 'knocking without the door' shakespeare parody from 'Wyrd Sisters, which references zen. I always feel obligated to include the 'without' if I can when referencing zen.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

You weren't aware of the antigravitational properties of freshly awarded diplomas on young ladies? The effect has been documented in the UK press since about five years ago IIRC.

1. spiny norman

This is really odd. While I've definitely noticed policemen getting younger, if that picture is to be believed, GCSE students are getting a lot older.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's all those free radicals released from prison!

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

For starters: Black and Asian are missing. It will be quite interesting to see where did they managed to find such an example of Arian racial purity in the UK to take the pic.

I would have suspected the usual (taken in Eastern Europe with cheap actors), if it was not for the layers of puppy fat on the subjects and the hideous striped pink-green notebook cover which I have seen only in one specific UK supermarket.

4. Chris G

Positive negativity

I'm a firm believer in reinforcing positivity with negatives. You won't get a clip round thr ear if you pass, you won't lose your toys and you won't get grounded.

In addition it's good that the kids should know; if they don't get qualifications to make them employable they should remember they won't be living at home for free forever.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Positive negativity

I really hope that you are joking and are being flippant in your post, but I fear not.

The world is unfortunately a harsh place, but the last place that children should be receiving unwarranted harshness from is from their (supposedly loving) parents, if you genuinely want them to be able to achieve all that they can in life.

Yes, children need encouragement (and support) to study to the best of their abilities (or to find out what vocational talents they have which can be nurtured, if they are not so academically-minded, something often neglected, particularly in the UK (I don't know where in the world you are)), but they also need rewards, even if only token ones or just a show of emotional positivity, when they do achieve well or when they are showing signs of growing up as the good and well-rounded people that you hopefully want them to be.

Yes, children also need to be disciplined and taught correct behaviour (in appropriate ways), and I'm not saying that child-rearing is easy, but unfortunately it sounds from your post that you have a terribly authoritarian style of parenting, which will, I fear, if it has not already, kill your children's love for yourself, crush their self--esteem, and then make it even harder for them to be able to achieve their full potential in an atmosphere of harshness and negativity.

If "not getting a clip round the ear" is the sole emotional or other "reward" that you will be gifting your children for their exam results, you are causing unspeakable damage to your children (and their future hopes of stable jobs and relationships) and will be missing out on so so much of what family relationships are supposed to be about.

If I have misinterpreted your post, I very sincerely apologise, but if not, please ask friends, family, your doctor, etc for additional parenting advice if you (and your partner) feel that you are having more difficulties than you expect in bringing up your children. It is not easy and it is not something that we already know intrinsically ourselves, and risk getting it wrong (our own parents may not have always been the best examples). There is a saying "it takes a village to raise a child" for good reason. I wish you and your family well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Positive negativity

Rewarding children for good marks can do more harm than good, especially if the reward is large.

We all have limits to our abilities, so rewards should be given if the child made a good effort, regardless of the outcome.

In some respects I'm more inclined to agree with the no 'clip round the ear' point of view in that working hard at school should be normal behavior not something we need to beg our kids to do.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

FTFY

Psychologist Emma Kenny recommended: "Do not study psychology. You'll be reduced to eating out of bins and selling soundbites to anyone to make it through the next month. Forget the fucking iPad, if how I'm professionally prostituting myself in this press release doesn't make you want to study, nothing will."

1. Kubla Cant

Re: FTFY

Do not study psychology. You'll be reduced to eating out of bins

I suspect you don't really know anything about psychology. As taught at a good university, it's probably equal to any of the other life sciences in terms of numeracy and intellectual rigour.

My degree was 50% psychology and 50% philosophy (another subject not generally regarded as a meal ticket). I don't want to appear boastful, but I've had no cause to complain during the ensuing 45 years.

The trick is not to make the mistake of thinking that the things you learn up to the age of 20 need determine your future. In a few vocational subjects, they do, but most of the stuff studied up to first degree level, in science subjects as well as arts, qualifies you for nothing.

6. Jim 59

Paying your children to pass exams is chav parenting. Better would be to spend time with the child, helping them child with maths (or whatever), or if you can't, spending the money on a tutor.

Sorry about the chav thing.

7. mhoulden
    Childcatcher

Taking someone to Currys because of their exam results sounds more like a threat than a treat. "Screw up your A levels and you'll end up working here."

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

Hannah and her sweets have probably put paid to that

I WILL SAY. The person who formulated this as if he/she were hailing from the low-power bulb end of the Gaussian would have been sent for a ten-year stint of hard labor to Australia in more enlightened times!

Hannah has 6 orange sweets and some yellow sweets.

Overall, she has n sweets.

The probability of her taking 2 orange sweets is 1/3.

Prove that: n^2-n-90=0

NO BUT JUST NO. UNDERSPECIFIED; MISTAKES "CONCLUDING" FOR "PROVING"...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can catch more flies with a drop of honey than with a barrel of vinegar.

You have to wonder either who was surveyed or whether there may be some "veracity differentials" in the stated facts of the survey, as rewards of several hundreds of pounds for exam results seem quite incredibly generous, not to mention probably out of reach for many families, putting unfair burdens of expectation on less well-off parents. It seems a particularly cynical and manipulative way for the retailer to try to drum up some business.

That's not to say that demonstrably showing happiness and appreciation at the achievements of one's children is a bad thing, far from it indeed.

I would have been absolutely overjoyed to have been given even just £10 (bearing in mind the relative value at that time), or a small gift, or to have been taken out for a meal, for my exam results (as happened to most of my school friends), but all I got from my parents for my O-Grades was the tiniest "well done" from my mother, and barely any acknowledgement from my father. I didn't even get that for any of my later school exams, despite still working damn hard to achieve my best and to try to please them. Maybe it was their own dour Scottish upbringing (sadly, some of the stereotypes of our country can be only too true), maybe (as I only now realise could be a possibility) they had their own problems or fraught upbringings, maybe it was just the all-encompassing cold war and economic gloom of the 1980s (and the prolonged teachers' strike also crushing any positivity or enthusiasm at school), maybe Philip Larkin was more right than he knew (you know the quote), but every child needs appreciation for their achievements in some way and to receive encouragement and boosts to their self-esteem.

If you're reading this, and have achieved good or excellent exam results, well done! I genuinely hope that you can go on to achieve all that you can.

If your parents don't at least tell you how proud they are, or if they are in any ways abusive or constantly negative to you, please, call ChildLine for advice. Maybe your problems may only be minor, but the reassurance will be invaluable nevertheless. Even the smallest damage in your upbringing can grow and can have serious long-term effects (I sadly didn't feel able to seek help, because we were "a nice middle class family", and only "other" people have problems, and of course I must be worthless, because my parents always treat me as such (inadvertently or otherwise)). With help, hopefully you and your parents can receive the support that you both might need so that they can learn how to parent better and repair the damage, and if unfortunately there are far more serious issues of neglect or abuse, you can receive the help and support that you need to protect you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon