back to article Microsoft turns on Windows 10 file backup to Azure

Microsoft has flicked the switch on its Azure Backup service for Windows 10 clients. Azure Backup is Microsoft's cloud backup service and is positioned as an alternative to tape, rather than a rapid recovery tool. Application data is the service's main target, if only because Azure Site Recovery already handles the chore of …

1. P. Lee

the chance to store data for 99 years.

and that chance is... zero?

Seriously, go back 99 years and see how many tech companies from then are still going now.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: the chance to store data for 99 years.

"Seriously, go back 99 years and see how many tech companies from then are still going now."

The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company - founded June 16, 1911. They later changed their name to the International Business Company, IE: IBM

Bell Telephone Company, a common law joint stock company, was organized in Boston, Massachusetts on July 9, 1877

New York and Mississippi Valley Printing Telegraph Company merged with New York & Western Union Telegraph Company in 1856 to become Western Union

Edison General Electric Company which was incorporated in New York on April 24, 1889, later shortened the name to General Electric

It's amazing how long some companies have been around, gobbling up the competition.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Japanese: 任天堂株式会社 Hepburn: Nintendō Kabushiki gaisha?) is a Japanese multinational consumer electronics company headquartered in Kyoto, Japan. Nintendo is the world's largest video game company by revenue.[8] Founded on September 23, 1889,[2] by Fusajiro Yamauchi, it originally produced handmade hanafuda playing cards.[9] By 1963, the company had tried several small niche businesses, such as cab services and love hotels.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Teiwaz
            Coffee/keyboard

Re: One night @ Nintendo love hotel

"I remain curious as to what a Nintendo love hotel might be like if it existed today. The thought of arriving there in a taxi driven by somebody dressed as Mario, and finding Princess Toadstall waiting for me in my room is somewhat distressing."

Princess Peach, Rosalina or Pauline would be OK (not that Love Hotels ever 'officially' provided companions for your stay), it's Catherine 'Birdo' that would really scare me. Unless you count be directed to a dank basement where [insert any nintendo character] waited in a fully functional dungeon....

2. TonyJ

Wouldn't she be in another hotel anyway?

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge
              Joke

Princess Toadstool? Hotel?

She won't take up mushroom.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

That in itself in not in dispute. I think the point that is being made is "Where is my backup?" If you were to go to IBM and ask this question, they may well direct you to The Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company.

Real-world example. One of my former clients had a Freeserve website to which he no longer knows how to access. The problem is that Google is still indexing the content and in doing so is advertising prices current in the last century. The current owners of the Freeserve space seem unable to assist in nuking it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's see...

... Backup 1,000 GB across a 100kB/s uplink so that all the World and their dogs can see your data (except yourself when the ISP link goes down).

No Thanks. I'm sticking with Tape Backup using NTBackup on Windows XP.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let's see...

If you had bothered to read the article or have a look at the service you would see that data is encrypted before it leaves your machine and you keep the encryption details locally. So no, your data is not there for the world + dog to see.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC - Re: Let's see...

So please explain us how Microsoft is encrypting data without seeing the local key ?

2. Felonmarmer

Re: Let's see...

If this is a backup, then you have to assume that when you want to use it, your local data (including you private key) must have been lost. So how could it be restored unless Microsoft had a copy of your private key or could generate it in some way?

3. adnim

That's two backups per machine

The known data one places on Azure and the unknown data Microsoft takes from the device

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's two backups per machine

Hmm. Azure backup could sure hide even higher data-sucking (sorry, 'telemetry for your own good') than they currently do.

4. Chika
    Facepalm

Cabbage

Oh well. That's an additional reason not to "upgrade" then.

Another potential lock-in to Microsoft's eco-system, another possible security/privacy breach waiting to happen, another attempt by Microsoft to push its "Windows as a Disservice" values on its users.

I said this back when we were in the throes of Windows 8 mania - Microsoft just aren't listening. As a result, they are pissing away what little trust they had from its users.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Cabbage

You know it's an option right? Nobody will force you to sign up to this.

Unless you have some weird compulsion to sign up for every possible offer that comes your way of course.

1. Chika

Fair enough, yes. It's an option. I just hope it stays that way. (Please note that the word "potential" was used to describe this. Er... you do know what that means, don't you?)

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Damn best not use Linux either as that Ubuntu I've heard so much about "locks" you into it's Ubunutu One Account, no honest you HAVE to use it, just like this!

1. Chika

I've been using various Linuxen over the years and have yet to hear that one. Mind you, since I tend not to subscribe (sic) to the idea that Linux == Ubuntu, I'm pretty much safe there.

OK guys, you got me! Like I said though, I hope this option doesn't become compulsory. (You know, "potential").

At least I got a few downvotes from this! :b

5. Gis Bun

Well, at least Azure backup is better than the hodge podge of backup software used previously. In versions going back to Windows XP and probably before, they deem to change the backup software with every new version of Windows. Quite annoying if you had to restore some data in Win7 with data backed up in Win Vista.

6. Hans 1
    Coffee/keyboard

> promises of 99.9 per cent uptime

Azure has not yet reached that uptime, since it goes TITSUP every year for a couple of days when the certificates expire. Then you factor in their update cockups ... as reported here ...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Don't worry Windows 10 users...

Microsoft has already 'backed up' every byte of data you've generated on multiple Microsoft servers by way of its user experience enhancing telemetry uploads. And to ensure full multi-site backup redundancy, they've sold all your data to multiple 'carefully vetted partners'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like