back to article We're saving tax payers' money on Oracle licensing, honest, says Gov.uk

The Cabinet office has signed a 'memorandum of understanding' with Oracle in a desperate bid to ease the financial burden of its eye-wateringly expensive contracts with the database titan. The body reckons it will "deliver additional savings" for the taxpayer over the next three years. But when asked by The Register exactly …

1. x 7

So what are the actual issues they have with Oracle?

1. SolidSquid

They're annoyed that Oracle put the full amount on official documents rather than charging it as part of a support contract or something else which would be easier to "lose" in the bureaucracy of government. Means they have to deal with the embarrassing situation of either people knowing they agreed to pay it or having to put forward actual practical policy, which is a lot of work they can't be having with

1. asdf

what squid said

Yeah please don't burden them with having to justify why they are spending other people's money. Then again Oracle knows how to squeeze blood out of a stone so they are hardly some paragon.

2. chris 17 Silver badge

need an office of government licensing that all gov departments get their licensing from, that'll shave a few 10's of millions of annual procurement costs.

1. asdf

haha good one. Would be more polite though to use a joke icon or the troll one.

3. nematoad
    Unhappy

Inquiry needed?

“We found ourselves in a situation where there wasn’t really anywhere else to go.” Kit Malthouse quote.

Ah, the monopolists' wet dream.

Could the Competition and Markets Authority not take a look?

If, as seems to be the case, Oracle really does have the government and other customers over a barrel and is abusing that position then surely a case can be made for an investigation into their behaviour.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Inquiry needed?

Face it - when you have a large amount of data stored in, and application built upon, whatever which is not plain ASCII files, you're going to depend on whatever manages those data, and moving away may be so expensive, and take so much time - with all the implied risks, it could be cheaper to stay with the current system even if still crazily expensive.

It would have happened with any other system - even open source ones - which doesn't mean "free" ones if you have to rely on truly professional paid support.

Moreover, offering features or solutions nobody else matches yet isn't illegal. Do you believe there are people who use Oracle despite its crazy prices just because of the name or because they get bribed? When it gets to very large, complex databases the available options unluckily becomes very few, because most of the efforts are directed to cover the medium sized databases (and the small ones), where it is easier to make money with a relatively moderate effort thanks to the larger user base - while many of the very large databases proprietary solutions implemented by some very large companies (Google, Facebook, etc.) may be very vertical, or never made available for general use, or both.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oooh... ooh ... i can play this buzz word bingo game

"Procurement"..... "Procurement"..... "Procurement"..... "Procurement"..... "Procurement".....

do i win?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Home Office

The Home Office spends over £200m a year on Oracle software - little value is provided for that money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Home Office

Unsubstantiated, anonymous statements are rarely facts, and this is a great example.

6. P.B. Lecavalier
    WTF?

Oracle database? I heard postgreSQL is pretty capable, and it has a good price too. Not big enough for your needs? I heard good things about Hadoop, and that too got a good price.

Corporate support for these? Hire someone, some firm or consultant specialized in this. They develop a solution for you, for whatever is not available. They charge too much after a few years? Hire someone else, but have in the contract the clause that you own (or better, redistribute) whatever software the first guy developed, and also have the necessary staff to evaluate their ongoing work to make sure the code under the hood is not crap that mysteriously works and is utterly unmaintainable, let alone human-understandable.

How hard is that?? Very hard when you have a standard MBA "I don't know computers" CIO twerp.

7. MBryar

Promises about the value of this deal to UK taxpayers are meaningless without disclosure of the MOU. So, Oracle, let's see it.

8. whiz

Before jumping out of the known pain, there should be a TRANSPARENT analysis.

Being desperate to get off the Oracle boat may land them in hot water.

The smart thing would be to move to the cloud, private or Public. I think there is a way in which you can move to the private cloud hosted in your own datacenter but pay only for Application subscription. (Saving on hardware and license)

9. John Bobbit

£350m a year when I was at the Home Office two years ago.

Stick THAT on the side of a big red bus..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like