back to article Been sleeping well lately? No nightmares? Here's a lumbering Google bigfoot bot

Boston Dynamics, the Google-owned mobile robot developer, has posted a new demonstration of its Atlas robot walking around the forest. In the video, Boston Dynamics founder Marc Raibert shows how the Atlas anthropomorphic robot is being developed to maneuver itself over more difficult outdoor terrain. The video demonstrates …

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Pint

It walks just like me after 15 pints. Have they tried testing it sober?

1. Mark 85

I'm hoping it was sober... if it's not, things are going to probably get scary.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

If Futurama has taught me anything, it's that depriving robots of alcohol makes them 'drunk', and giving them alcohol makes them 'sober'.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Kill switch?

Where is the kill switch?

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Kill switch?

Where is the kill switch?

On the battery pack carried by the pathetic meat bag human engineer trailing along behind.

3. Deltics
    Pint

Go home robot...

... you're drunk.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The robot shown in the video has an attached cord running into a human-carried power unit"

So the time has officially come... robots are enslaving humans!

1. Yesnomaybe

Re: "The robot shown in the video has an attached cord running into a human-carried power unit"

That's the first thing I was thinking: "Jeez, they are giving them a REASON to enslave us!!!"

But then again, perhaps being a meat-sack-mule for a robot overlord is better than being terminated...

I am assuming those are going to be the only two options.

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

It walks like Bez from the Happy Mondays

The first few seconds of this vid give the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43eMCobo15c

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Boston Dynamics

Hmm, where have I heard a name like that before.

Oh, right, got it.

So, Boston Dynamics is the beginning of what will become Massive Dynamics ?

I do hope they have a good Bell on board.

7. M7S

Frighteningly phrophetic commentary on the video?

If I heard correctly "to give it an ability within shooting range of your own"

Oh goody.

8. Daggerchild Silver badge
    Terminator

They should make a robot fox for those foxhunters, but who would be the hunted and who the hunter?

9. Jonathan Richards 1

Google-owned...

Oughtn't we to get used to saying (and writing) "Alphabet-owned"? Although Google-funded would continue to be correct, I guess.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like