back to article Spain triumphs! Fascist anthem hails Spanish badminton champ

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) evidently needs to update its international anthems CD library after it played the old-school fascist Spanish Royal March to hail Carolina Marín's successful defence of her world women's singles title on Sunday. Marín, who saw off India's Saina Nehwal in the world championship final in …

1. joeldillon

Uh no, the Marcha Real is the current, correct one. I presume they played Cara al Sol.

1. AbelSoul
      Headmaster

Re: Marcha Real is the current, correct one.

Yes, the current one without words.

The article itself states:

Written in 1928 for the already-existing Royal March, the words were adopted by Franco and chums following their 1939 victory in the Spanish Civil War. They were finally consigned to the dustbin of history in 1978, and since then the anthem has been played without words.

2. Simon Harris

Could have be worse...

The words could have been written by Sacha Baron Cohen

Kazakh medal winner in Kuwait

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

JAKARTA?

No, she went of her own accord.

(i did this so you wouldn't have to)

4. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Fascist?

At least no other national anthem is heavily nationalist, fascist or 'religion-centric' in any way, 'God Save the Queen', 'La Marseillaise', Das Lied der Deutschen ... oops just invalidated my argument.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fascist?

You may find the German national Anthem is not the same as was sung in the Hitler era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschlandlied#Use_during_Nazi_rule

2. Simon Harris

"At least no other national anthem is heavily nationalist..."

err... isn't that the point of them?

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

'God Save the Queen' isn't nationalistic - it's all about the queen , not the country.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

All about the base^H queen?

God speed our General Wade

And by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the King.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: All about the base^H queen?

admittedly that part is rarely sung these days, but I like it1

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: All about the base^H queen?

I say old bean that General Wade chappie was made of the right stuff what ho?

5. earl grey
    Thumb Up

well the good part

Is that the lady won the competition and comported herself well. Congrats to all!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"international anthems CD library"

the words were adopted by Franco and chums following their 1939 victory in the Spanish Civil War

Still using the 1939 CD? Amateurs.

7. John Savard

Not the First Time

Not very long ago, a victory by athletes of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea was greeted by the anthem of South Korea (The Republic of Korea). Sadly, it's all too easy to mess up this sort of thing.

I remember a friend who had trouble mailing a parcel to Botswana (the former British Bechuanaland) because he had it confused with the South African Bantustan of Bophuthatswana. And I had to find out that Burkina Faso used to be Upper Volta before I could find it on a map.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Not the First Time

Korea is easy to mess up as the Northern one is NOT democratic so it makes sense to not play an anthem for a country called democratic.

2. Sven Coenye

So too with Germany at the 2011 Canoe Championships. The Hungarians apparently never took the Deutschland Uber Alles version off the gramophone.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

The Austria/Australia mix-up still occurs from time to time too. Not as often as you'd expect mind.

Most of the time it's just a live performer in New Zealand messing up the lyrics.

8. Turtle

Triumphantalism

"Spain triumphs! / The anvils and wheels / sing to the rhythm / of the hymn of the faith."

That's actually kinda Marxist-proletarian, with its chiliastic imagery of the triumph of industrialism and the toiling masses.

1. P. Lee

Re: Triumphantalism

>That's actually kinda Marxist-proletarian,

That was my first thought, but then Left and Right can be pretty similar in practise, with appeals to the "hard working mums", er, I mean, "enthusiastic agriculturalists and industrious factory workers."

It basically boils down to to labels, but whatever they say, "We the elite are taking control." These days they don't even bother appending "... for your own good."

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Were they playing it on vinyl?

10. Vincent Ballard

Franco, Franco, que tiene el culo blanco

Of course, the lyrics that everyone knows are the ones about Franco having a white arse because his wife washes it with Ariel...

11. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

I imagine some in the current government would be quite upset... that it was only played once.

1. Daniel B.

I'm still miffed that Spaniards were so stupid as to let the PP win the past general election. That's like Germans re-voting the Nazi Party back in.

12. J.G.Harston Silver badge

I prefer...

Awake, ye sons of the Motherland!

Woodsmen, grasp your choppers!

Farmers, slaughter the enemies with the tool formerly used for lifting beets!

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: I prefer...

Awake, ye sons of the Motherland!

Woodsmen, grasp your choppers!

Farmers, slaughter the enemies with the tool formerly used for lifting beets!

....Hey Macarena!

13. Trigonoceps occipitalis

On the Internet Nothing is Forgotten

Rule 2: Be careful when searching.

(Rule 1: Be careful when posting.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like