back to article Use QuickTime … and become part of the collective

Two Borg assimilators have discovered five denial of service vulnerabilities in Apple's QuickTime. The five vulnerabilities (CVE-2015-3788 to 3792) affect the latest version of QuickTime up to the patched 7.7.7 for Windows 7. Ryan Pentney and Richard Johnson of Cisco's Talos security talon reported the memory corruption holes …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When will this madness end?

I've unplugged my network cables.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Facepalm

Ah yes, obviously posting comments using wi-fi. Much more secure.

2. Forget It
      Stop

Quick!

Quick Time to unplug!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Denied

"...creating a local denial of service condition..."

What is that? Should I be concerned? It sounds a bit like typical married life.

3. Little Mouse

QuickTime? Is that still a thing?

Hopefully it's improved a bit since 1996.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Joke

Re: QuickTime? Is that still a thing?

Let's just hope there are no problems with the latest version of RealPlayer in Mosaic.

2. Vector

Yeah, isn't it about time for Quicktime (for Windows, at least) to head down the same path to oblivion that Flash needs to follow?

3. Frank Bough

No, it was replaced by ? years ago.

4. Tannin

What is the point of complaining about Flash when you are still shipping Quicktime? Two shocking duds which were dreadful early on and haven't improved. When they are both gone - may that day be soon - neither one will be missed in the slightest.

1. Kepler
      Coat

The point of complaining about Flash?

What is the point of complaining about Flash when you are still shipping Quicktime?

FWIW, my effort to scroll down and read that comment, and all comments below the very top of this page, was impeded and delayed for at least 10 minutes by repeated crashes of Flash in Chrome.

Not that I've ever complained about Flash before, here or elsewhere.

5. Elmer Phud

VLC

tha's all

1. Adam 1

Re: VLC

Heck, some ancient version of winamp would be better.

2. Frank Bough

Honestly, if you think a cobbled together media player is somehow a replacement for QuickTime then you simply don't know what QuickTime is.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Trollface

Honestly, if you think a cobbled together media player is somehow a replacement for QuickTime then you simply don't know what QuickTime is.

Let's do a quick side-by-side comparison: QuickTime (OK, you'll have to dig through the linked user manual to get much in the way of specifics, but it's an iProgram, so it's really about the way it makes you feel any way) vs VLC. Yes, there are a few differences, but I'm hardly persuaded that I should drop VLC and join the Cult of Apple on this one.

Troll icon because you really should have.

1. Not That Andrew

IIRC it's FFMPEG doing the heavy lifting for VLC, although they do maintain libdvdcss and some other important media related libraries. And QuickTime used to include a media player, couldn't be bothered to install it to check if it still does.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like