back to article Linux 4.2 release 'possible' for next week, if Linus feels good

The world may be on the threshold of another Linux Kernel release. Or it might not. Whether or not Linux 4.2 emerges next week depends on how Linus Torvalds feels next Sunday. On Sunday evening, US time, the Linux Lord gave release candidate 7 the thumbs' up and let it be known he'd quite like it to be the last such release …

1. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

I'd prefer x86 to work

I suppose in terms of total installations, there's probably more ARM Linux installs (Android and all that) than x86, but I think it'd be preferable to make sure x86 is all nailed down before final release.

1. asdf

Re: I'd prefer x86 to work

Who knew the POS instruction set that is x86 would be causing us problems in 2015? The instruction set so bad even Intel has tried multiple times to kill it.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: I'd prefer x86 to work

"The instruction set so bad even Intel has tried multiple times to kill it."

Did I read somewhere that x86 chips are really RISC under the hood but run an on chip emulator to appear as an x86 to the outside world?

If true, maybe Intel just need make the underlying architecture available to programmers to begin a transfer.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

more detail?

> we had some more fallout from the low-level x86 entry code rewrites

For those of us that don't have time to trawl the kernel list, it would be interesting to hear a technical background what this problem was, what the "low-level x86 entry code" is, and why it was being rewritten.

Edit: my google-fu returns some incomprehensible patches from Ingo Molnar but sheds no more light than that.

1. Lamb0
      Linux

Re: more detail?

It's probably related to crufty old x86 assembly code they've been replacing with C code for readability and compatibility with more modern instruction sets.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Actually from what little I can tell, it's reorganizing the crufty old x86 assembly code to make room for crufty old ARM assembly code and other such architectures.

Apparently x86 is a sorry bag of special cases because "it was there first", "this is the way we've always done it" and "this needs to be fixed someday" and Ingo is tired of it and making that "some day" now.

Just a SWAG from looking at patches.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So much for the vaunted peer review process then. Does anybody actually look at this code outside the select few who can read uncommented and undocumented kernel code? Though not....

1. asdf

> Does anybody actually look at this code outside the select few who can read uncommented and undocumented kernel code?

Sadly this seems remarkably true in either open or closed source. Reviewing code is expensive in time and money so we see things like bugs going back decades.

1. asdf

Its probably one of the reasons OpenBSD security track record is so good. They are one of the few modern OSs (that I know of) to have done a complete rigorous code audit with decent devs of the code they are still largely using today.

3. Medixstiff

Geez.

I like how if a corporate CEO would say this, they'd get well and truly shafted by the media, the board and the shareholders and the Linux community is like, oh well.

1. kryptylomese

Re: Geez.

"Geez.

I like how if a corporate CEO would say this, they'd get well and truly shafted by the media, the board and the shareholders and the Linux community is like, oh well."

That is because Linux has been built from the ground upwards, not to sell, but to be the best operating system in the World

Bill Gates never cared what kind of poor software came out of Redmond because knew he could sell just about anything as most users did not have much knowledge, or an alternative. Luckily things have changed!

1. GrumpenKraut

> ... but to be the best operating system in the World

I do not think Linus would say this, apart when joking.

Some BSD folks, however... ( <--= downvote bait for BSD users ).

1. Tomato42
          Trollface

well, he did say "that it's all part of the plan for world domination."

2. asdf

As a BSDer GNU/Linux problem is less the kernel and more where the user land is headed.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@asdf

And for that reason BSD is where I'll be heading. Linux userland is looking less Unix-like.

1. asdf

Welcome to the fold. *BSD is great and much closer to true UNIX but generally doesn't come as polished out of the box for the desktop and requires more work/research and general UNIX expertise but the end result is so worth it (absolutely love running my home box like my HP-UX boxes at work (can do also with Linux but not as well) so my muscle memory works regardless, ksh forever, fuck bash). Sadly thanks to Red Hat now we get to watch more and more FOSS go Linux only as its already getting tough to port some stuff. Linux is trying to basically replace POSIX and will probably succeed eventually. Mac, windows, or windows lite will be your choices.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
                Meh

" Mac, windows, or windows lite will be your choices."

You're being a bit unfair. GNU/Linux is way more modular than the BSDs, so while you're right about Red Hat and a lot of the crowd, it's still possible to build a no-nonsense Gnu/Linux system that avoids the "windows-lite" crap. I've got 5 such systems at home. There are several ways to do it, the "out-of-the-box" approach would be Devuan, but for the more fiddle-oriented / control freaks among us distros like Slackware or Gentoo are build-as-you-go.

Ironically the only system I have at home that uses systemd is the media center SD card for my Pi, because I got the lazies.

2. GrumpenKraut

> ... ksh forever, fuck bash

Have you looked at zsh? Maybe your disliking of bash would carry over to zsh. If not, give it a shot!

> ... avoids the "windows-lite" crap.

There are many plain window manager and each can be configured.

I use a Linux system that is _very_ bare bone Unix-ish.

2. Reg T.

You won't have to worry about Linus until he starts offering free vaccinations (that kill and paralyze) and also begins offering H2O from human shit.

Then, you might want to check the code in the kernel.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@ Medixstiff

The immediate takeaway point is this is a philosophy of ship when it's fit to ship vs ship on a given date (say July 29th?) whether it's fit or not.

Another point is that new kernels are released on a cycle of a few months, not a few years. It's not a case of some new shiny that has a big marketing machine cranked up to go on it.

You should also realise that this is just a kernel release. Only a few people waiting to pounce on this: people who like to keep a bleeding edge box to play with, kernel devs taking this as a new baseline and distro builders. Of the latter those building rolling latest-everything distros will incorporate it. Others will do so if it fits into their time-line for a next release.

For most users it's the major distro releases that matter. They do tend to release to a fixed schedule for the simple reason that they're building from components that, like the kernel, have a release when it's ready approach. And for those of us who've been round the block a few times the distros we prefer are those that have the most conservative release cycles which can run to years; we're not sitting chewing our fingernails in anticipation of a new distro release let alone a new kernel.

But the real issue is that the comparison between Linus and a corporate CEO is utterly false. His role is that of gatekeeper of what actually goes into the product free of any external concerns. That means that the Linux kernel is a product determined entirely by the organisation's QA authority. It's the absence of media, boards and shareholders that allow that to happen. The stakeholders here are just the developers and users; that is, the people who really matter.

So, taking your statement that you like this at face value, I have to agree with you.

4. yossarianuk

Its better to release a product because Linus 'feels like it' and wants it to be in a usable state.

Rather than rush a shit, buggy, unfinished product because of shareholder pressure.

4. kryptylomese

"Geez.

I like how if a corporate CEO would say this, they'd get well and truly shafted by the media, the board and the shareholders and the Linux community is like, oh well."

That is because Linux has been built from the ground upwards, not to sell, but to be the best operating system in the World

Bill Gates never cared what kind of poor software came out of Redmond because knew he could sell just about anything as most users did not have much knowledge, or an alternative.

5. Adrian Midgley 1

I'd prefer to have it right rather than

soon, but you can have it now of course, just download the current RC.

CEOs do tend to lie about things, no?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

And the *nix crowd actually think this is a better leadership/management than MSFT? Really, 1 person controls your destiny.

A basic tenet of fixing sw defects is being able to reproduce them, and then knowing the defect is fixed in code. Wondering or hoping is not the way...

Laughing....... Ego centric control freaks who when things don't go their way fork the code and split the limited resources some more. Sticking with MSFT thank you very much.

1. Tomato42
      Facepalm

Re: Wow

you have no idea what you're talking about

2. Teiwaz
      Linux

"A basic tenet of fixing sw defects is being able to reproduce them, and then knowing the defect is fixed in code. Wondering or hoping is not the way..."

"Sticking with MSFT thank you very much."

And you're comfortable you're getting the former by doing the latter...

Fair enough...But I'll stick with the code base with the largest peer-review pool.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/0817/microsoft_replaces_windows_10_patch_update_wont_say_why/

3. Spasticus Autisticus
      Happy

Oooo - you're a brave boy AC, maybe you're just ribbing us?

I'd sooner have a foul mouthed, ranting person that strived for perfection heading the production of my OS of choice than a bunch of 'is it good enough yet?' sales men.

If you were ribbing us, well done - if not, well stick with your three-wheeled lorry (truck) of an OS, my OS is ready for work in less than a minute, shuts down in 5 seconds, doesn't need AV, does its updates in seconds and doesn't need a restart afterwards. F*ck Microsoft and f*ck the horse they rode into town on.

4. alain williams Silver badge

And the *nix crowd actually think this is a better leadership/management than MSFT? Really, 1 person controls your destiny.

Most projects have one person (or a small team) who review the current state and decide if/when a release should happen. This is true for both commercial and Open Source projects; the difference is that with most commercial projects (eg MSFT ones) this review process remains hidden, so you don't get to see the hums and has although you might see a slippage from an announced schedule and not know why.

One of Linux's strengths is that the review process is open to public gaze; also Linus releases ''when it is ready'' and not when some marketing team or accountant says he must.

Please learn about the Open Source processes before criticising - don't flaunt your ignorance.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I know about the Open Source process, which is why I made my comments. I tried, long, to use Open Office but it was lacking in documentation, spell and grammar checks and other issues. Instead of that team fixing the issues, some went off in a snit due to disagreements in direction and forked the code. 4 forks later it is still a weak product.

If the peer review process were so good then Linux would be perfect by now. The reality is that 99% of its users never look at the source code, they just use it. Bad security defaults and all.

I also use FreeSwitch where the basic sequence when you report a defect is 'try the latest'. The fact that your symptom goes away means nothing, it could just be hidden by new cruft.

1. GrumpenKraut
          Facepalm

> ... when you report a defect is 'try the latest'.

I am not aware of any project where you would not be asked that.

Have you ever programmed for any project whatsoever?

> The fact that your symptom goes away means nothing, it could just be hidden by new cruft.

Oh, I see, the answer is "no".

1. gerritv

Yes, I have done lots of coding and design over the past 48 years of work including safety sensitive stuff like DICOM image transfer protocols and even helped write the MR and CT storage chapters. You know, things like when you get left and right reversed on an image it actually alters someones life, like doing surgery on the wrong knee. So when I hear 'just try the latest' it means they are too lazy/incompetent to figure out what the problem is and then apply a fix. If you can't reproduce it, then you won't know if you fixed the problem. As the US military found out years ago, Hope Is Not A Method.

If sw developers built bridges there would be a lot fewer people on earth. Well meaning, no doubt motivated but not disciplined.

5. GrumpenKraut

> Sticking with MSFT thank you very much.

Please do.

1. kryptylomese

To quote myself:-

"Bill Gates never cared what kind of poor software came out of Redmond because knew he could sell just about anything as most users did not have much knowledge"

You are one of those users.....

6. Rick Giles
      Linux

Re: Wow @AC

"And the *nix crowd actually think this is a better leadership/management than MSFT? Really, 1 person controls your destiny.

A basic tenet of fixing sw defects is being able to reproduce them, and then knowing the defect is fixed in code. Wondering or hoping is not the way...

Laughing....... Ego centric control freaks who when things don't go their way fork the code and split the limited resources some more. Sticking with MSFT thank you very much."

Okay, you've said your piece. Buh bye now. Go back to the Tech Republic - Windows fanboys where you belong. We know who you are.

7. astrax

Understandable reaction

It going to be a gargantuan release in terms of LOC; seems reasonable to err on the side of caution. Looking forward to the new AMDGPU kernel DRM implementation shenanigans!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And 50,000,000 Linux machines upgraded soon afterwards, is it?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I feel there is some thread/memory interaction bug in Linux that nobody dare talk about. It's like "I better not say anything about it because I'll get called out for stomping on another thread's memory in some stupid way." When it is actually Linux that is mangling itself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like