back to article Ex-SAP director: I bribed govt officials to seal the deals on software

A former regional director of German enterprise software outfit SAP has pleaded guilty to bribing officials in the Panamanian government to secure a contract for one of the company's resellers. Vicente Eduardo Garcia, 65, of Miami, Florida, admitted giving $145,000 in bribes to one government official and promising bribes to …

1. Mark 85

In some parts of the world, bribe (or gratuities, perhaps) are normal.

Just seems to me that sometimes, bribes are what gets things done in some parts. I knew a field service type, who when he went into certain places had to pay a "gratuity" to get his tools through customs. Parts had to have a "handling fee" paid. In all cases, the fees disappeared into the custom's guys pocket. I guess it's one of "amount of money" or "ensuring the contract with no problems" that creates the legal problem....

1. Chris Miller

Re: In some parts of the world, bribe (or gratuities, perhaps) are normal.

Exactly. I'm pretty confident that no government contract ever gets agreed in somewhere like Panama without brown envelopes being involved. Of course, in the UK such rewards are much more likely to take the form of a directorship once your early retirement comes through, which is all perfectly legit (apparently).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"...and Garcia also took a cut"

And that's his biggest problem: he tried the "just part of doing business" and "necessary to win the business for the company" explanations, but he also trousered the company's money while lying to them about what he was doing.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...a technology package worth $14.5m from an SAP reseller..."

'Worth'?

It might have cost that much, but nothing from SAP is 'worth' more than $1.50.

The Germans make such nice cars, but their software is just weird. I think that their software industry is descended from their Cuckoo Clock industry.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Some? Some? How about "everywhere".

"Some" are just more creative about it.

5. Tom 13

Some parts? If we're being really honest about it, it's true in MOST parts of the world. The trick is to do it in a legally sanctified manner.

On this side of the pond it's usually called "campaign contributions" or "my husband/wife's charity" although I understand in some circumstances it is called "Speaking fees".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New SAP Motto

Sell or bribe!!!!

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: New SAP Motto

Sell And Payola

3. x 7

bribery in Panama?

SOP (standard operating procedure)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How else do SAP sell their ****?

No one would actually choose their software without some kind of incentive, surely?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How else do SAP sell their ****?

I'm curious how it was only $14.5M?

I've seen rather simple ERP projects budgeted for $10M, and go over budget by another $10M+, and still not work correctly for years afterward. Entire company isn't worth that much.

Fiasco in a can.

1. Tom 13

Re: I'm curious how it was only $14.5M?

You pointed to the answer yourself! That was only the first hit and didn't include the "over budget" part.

2. a_yank_lurker

Their only mistake was to get caught.

1. x 7

I can think of several companies in the chemical industry who went bust - or came close - as a direct result of implementing SAP and so losing control of their business.

Too big, too unwieldy, and - in their kind of businesses - impossible to configure properly. In a nutshell, the stock control......doesn't control stock.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The late Sony Stores in Canada provides another example. Roughly a decade ago their retail store fronts were nearly empty of merchandise for more than a year, nearly empty shelves. I assumed that they were going out of business, and I kept dropping by for the inevitable clearance sale. But the prices never budged, but the stores were nearly empty. It went on for a year.

I found out later that they couldn't put boxes on trucks for about a year due to some ERP implementation project. Guess who...

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Holy crap. Wow.

2. BearishTendencies

Oracle ones go just as well.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like