back to article Verisign sues Google's new love-interest .XYZ for a second time

Verisign is up to its old tricks again, having sued XYZ.com, the owner of the .xyz registry a second time. Barely a day after XYZ.com got a boost when Alphabet, Google's new parent company, set up shop at abc.xyz, details emerged of a suit filed by Verisign against XYZ.com, its CEO Daniel Negari, and CentralNic, XYZ.com's back …

1. DeanSt

Shabby Verisign

Verisign are on the ropes, trying to flex their once gloss all American brand. It's Verisign that is tarnishing their name and openen the weakness card for com

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Soon...

Some brown envelopes will change hands. A couple of Verisign execs will resign 'for family reasons'. Later they will quietly appear on the ICAAN board. ICAAN will decided that .com is so important that all alternative TLDs have to go through a more detailed (slower and expensive) examination process

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Gimp

I can't imagine who would NOT want to walk away from Verisign. Getting it in a contract that you MUST sure would be relaxing.

4. Chris Evans

Paranoid

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you!

1. MD Rackham

Re: Paranoid

Just because they're out to get you doesn't meant they aren't right.

5. x 7

So why does XYZ call itself xyz.com? Given the circumstances you'd think their website - and advertising name - would be xyz.xyz

1. Grikath

Because "you need a .com to be taken seriously as a business" is as yet a valid statement. The fact that .com will be losing its effective business monopoly in the near future does not change the facts as they are here-and-now. And Alphabet, despite its pedigree, still has to play the Game in that respect.

6. ratfox

I hope Verisign is forced to pay for their opponents' lawyers.

That should really be mandatory when a massive corporation loses a groundless lawsuit against a much smaller business.

1. John Savard

Indeed, but better yet, the courts should simply throw out the suit at the earliest stage with prejudice so that the plaintiffs are spared having to pay lawyers in the first place.

7. James 100

Cornering people as a business model

I've never liked Verisign's approach in general - like getting Microsoft to force developers to use their code-signing certificates, rather than equally valid but cheaper ones from their many competitors. To me, that alone is reason enough to avoid dealing with them in any other situation: I'm heartened to hear it seems others feel the same way.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Versign=SymantSUX=Who Gives a Fuck?!?

Nothing more to say.

9. Ian 55

Dot Com doomed?

Says who? Apart from anyone connected with .whotypesthiscrapin domains?

Obviously Verisign are problematic to put it mildly, but billions have been spent by companies on their .com brands.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

alphabet is a stupid name

Xyz.com is a really stupid name

Donuts is an even more stupid name

I'm not sure what that says about the tech industry. Perhaps it just says I'm getting too old.

11. willer

will

humm...xyz is kinda not serious, child name, hard to accept unless your are on 9gags

12. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The dominance, or the unquestioning?

the days of .com's unquestioned dominance are all but over

They are? Who aside from hipsters and idiots is actually taking gTLDs seriously? Sure, Larry and Sergey grabbed a .xyz for their new toy, and Larry in particular has some kind of fetish for gTLDs; but that's no guarantee that serious businesses will be deserting the .com TLD in droves.

The land rush for gTLDs thus far is clearly speculation, and largely unsuccessful speculation at that. All signs suggest the vast majority of Internet users neither know nor care what gTLDs are, and many of the people who do know what they are find them annoying.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like