back to article China laments 'wild guesses and malicious slurs' on state hacking

Chinese president Xi Jinping visits the USA in September, a visit expected to be afforded all the pomp and ceremony of a top-level bilateral leader's meeting. Other diplomatic protocols are meanwhile being observed, including sniping through the media. In China's case, that means state-owned Xinhua, which quoted Chinese …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

"...with the USA making life hell for Huawei..."

Eh?

The Yanks have been busying themselves wailing and flailing and throwing a lot of shit at Huawei but I haven't notice any of it stick... and apart from a sympathetic squawk from Aus a couple of years ago, the rest of the world seems quite content to keep calm and carry on as normal.

2. Mark 85

The only country not guilt of spying is...

the one that hasn't been caught. Everyone does it and then there's the hubris of our government here in the States by not practicing good security. I guess the guy at the top figured no one would dare break into government systems on his watch. Or he's total idiot and figured no one would break the law? And by "he" I don't just mean the "O" guy.. but the whole administration since their his picks.

OTOH, for China to claim innocence reminds of the kid with chocolate all over his face and hands denying he took the chocolate candy. Every country is doing it...

1. Teiwaz
      Meh

Re: The only country not guilt of spying is...

"And by "he" I don't just mean the "O" guy.. but the whole administration since their his picks."

Agreed to all points, apart from above. I don't really think things would have been any more secure had other political showroom dummies been installed instead.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Danny 5

haha

I can't suppress a slight chuckle when i read articles like this. I mean come one, who are you trying to kid here? Everyone spies on everyone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: haha

>Everyone spies on everyone.

Many people suppose this, but I doubt it is true, particularly where the consequences could completely eclipse any possible benefits.

For example Israel would be very stupid indeed to spy on the US given the fallout from Jonathan Pollard, the devastating consequences of American military assistance being curtailed probably means that no minister would risk it; and whilst the US probably spies on the UK, the UK would not do anything to jeopardize their Trident missile rental agreement.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: haha

"For example Israel would be very stupid indeed to spy on the US..."

Wrong, Israel has repeatedly been caught spying on the US. The US has repeatedly been caught spying on Israel.

One upside to everyone spying on each other, it keeps everyone honest. In the case of the US and USSR years ago, spies broke tradecraft to defuse a near-nuclear war when Russia misread what was going on during Abel Archer.

4. ratfox
    Headmaster

Barrack?

Barack, surely.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Re: Barrack?

Shirley.

Someone's confused a noun and a disappointment.

5. graeme leggett Silver badge

"USA is allowed to spy in the name of freedom and democracy but China isn't allowed to."

Well I can quite understand that China would want to protect its freedom and espionage would be one measure it could use. But not buying that it's in the name of democracy as others understand the term.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Well I can quite understand that China would want to protect its freedom and espionage would be one measure it could use."

Actually, China has largely gone with industrial and military espionage, sending technologies to Chinese companies.

US spying, let's see, there was that list of Chinese military officers attacking US networks I read some time back...

6. Antonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

It's politics Reg

Not that the US government feels it has done much wrong: former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice recently said, within The Reg's earshot, that ”the rules” mean the USA is allowed to spy in the name of freedom and democracy but China isn't allowed to.

Um, quite the contrary. The fact that top US politicians are scuttling about spewing ridiculous excuses and rhetoric proves that in fact they do fully understand that they've put themselves on a rather sticky wicket.

7. Bota

It won't be as fun..

When the US try hacking the Chinese and can't figure out why "admin" followed by "passw0rd" won't work as log in credentials. Working with Chinese staff for telcos (previous job role) I've noticed that the Chinese and Asian workforce take their jobs within infrastructure far more seriously, and are generally harder working/ more professional workers than their European counterparts. This is purely as a side note from experience, but I think the current status of US "outrage" is based that the Chinese are hacking and they're far better at it with a far more limited set of tools.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It won't be as fun..

"When the US try hacking the Chinese and can't figure out why "admin" followed by "passw0rd" won't work as log in credentials."

I recall reading a classified document that discussed one Chinese officer who was highly effective against US defense personnel. Said individual then was online discussing a major operation that was coming up with his remote girlfriend. US forces managed to acquire his photograph, her photograph, both work and home addresses, telephone numbers and the contents of his computer with the files of that upcoming attack against US defense forces.

Obviously, that attack was utterly ineffective.

That was one case out of many.

So much for that due diligence.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The Rules

Heh. This is cyberspace.

The only true rules are what the technology allows. Technology and morality are two different things.

And given that the US of NSA now routinely ignores the Bill of Rights means that the US is no longer entitled to consider itself above other countries.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Mushroom

Re: The Rules

Sorry, but anything coming out of the UN is the ne plus ultra of bureaucratic bullshit and should be ignored by any right-thinking organisation.

Now, if that were a "bill of rights" (a succinct statement, written so that anyone can understand it) I'd be interested, but it isn't. It's the UN declaration of human rights, probably the worst piece of text ever produced by a committee of B-grade politicians with nothing better to do and full of irrelevancies, over-complication, linguistic gymnastics and sops to axe-grinding tossers appointed to the committee on a "Buggins' turn" basis.

If you're going to criticise the US, at least pick something that they're being bloody daft about. It's not like there isn't enough to choose from.

(Yup. That was my "pet hate" button you just thumped.)

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

@TeeCee: Bill of Rights

So you think that your own personal Bill of Rights should be the only thing that is important in this world ? How typical.

Nontheless, I go take a look and, hey, it says almost the same thing. So your own government is ignoring them both equally.

There, happy now ?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If you're going to criticise the US, at least pick something that they're being bloody daft about. It's not like there isn't enough to choose from."

Being from the US, I'm afraid you'd have to go through a very large encyclopedia to pick one thing to criticize us over. We do know our bad points as well as anyone else does.

Including the sheer inability to keep anything at all secret for very long.

2. Teiwaz

"The only true rules are what the technology allows. Technology and morality are two different things."

Yup, they're even spelt differently.

The real rules are that only state actors are allowed to disregard the latter using the former, especially if they consider themselves 'the good guys'.

9. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

We disagree with the stolen documents calling us hackers

Dear China,

GFYS. I have to firewall your government networks because the dictionary attacks drain my Internet bandwidth. You intentionally place false information in APNIC contacts. Finding a .cn domain registered with anything more accurate than "12323545 asdf 00000" is like winning the lottery. From all appearances, it seems like you host cybercrime with great pride.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We disagree with the stolen documents calling us hackers

Well, Russia is well versed in cybercrime as well, consider the Russian Business Network, who are usually called criminals by the Russian government, but so efficiently meshed with the invasion of South Ossetia some time ago and returned to mesh in efficienty with similar invasions repeatedly.

Those are some seriously patriotic, hard to locate criminals, knowing *when* military opertions are to begin just where they'd help.

The lot of them must be telepaths!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like