back to article Dell, Google dangle Chromebooks over IT bosses sick of Windows

Google’s Chromebooks are just over four year old and, while the hardware has done well in education, businesses and normal people haven’t been too keen. In response, the ad giant has teamed up with Dell to fix this with a line of Chromebooks for business. Rajen Sheth, director of product management for Android and Chrome for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I could clearly do all of my mobile work on that thing… But then again, my company doesn't use Microsoft tools much, and my desktop runs Linux.

I still prefer to have something else than a Chromebook, though, but that's mostly so I can use it to play video games.

2. John 104

Fail

I still don't see the value. For $600 you can buy an Asus ultrabook with Windows 10 installed. Don't like Windows? Wipe it and put your favorite version of Linux on it. Now you have a fully functioning ultrabook with real storage, real processing power, all the abilities of a Chromebook, and a similar battery life.

As far as manageability goes, how is this better? Not being a Windows notebook doesn't exclude the device from having to have patch management in place, nor does it remove data integrity requirements and the ability to manage users, etc.

Management doesn't just magically go away in the business sector just because you move away from Windows workstations.

1. Fatman

Re: Fail

<quote>As far as manageability goes, how is this better? </quote>

YOU and I might know better, but this is pitched at business executives damagement who don't.

The """pitch""" is: it's NOT Windows.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Management doesn't just magically go away in the business sector just because you move away from Windows workstations."

However, I am using Google Docs for Business and Chromebooks for a charity, and administration is much, much simpler than for Windows.

I like the look of these Dells and one might well be my next laptop. OK I have a Windows box (or two) for some stuff that won't run on anything else (digital camera and phone backup software) but I only need this back at the ranch.

However getting the excuse may be difficult as this Samsung I'm typing on has taken two years of abuse and the only damage so far is a scratched corner and the paint worn off the a key. No worries about drivers with the next release of Chrome, no signs of slowdown.

1. John 104

@Arnaut

You are describing a home use scenario. Probably good kit for such a thing (although a tablet may suit casual use better). The Marketeers are pimping it as a business solution, however. :)

1. Craigness
          WTF?

"However, I am using Google Docs for Business and Chromebooks for a charity, "

"You are describing a home use scenario."

2. Tom 13

Management here is talking about moving to Citrix VM environment where the computers will be eliminated and it will be a BYOD environment. Right now were using Windows laptops because that's the sunk cost. They've brought in various Chrome type devices for testing. They're particularly happy with them as a VTC solution that's far cheaper than our dedicated solution as well as easier for the average user to use.

3. a_yank_lurker

The marketing pitch is to the MBA's who control the money who sort of have somewhat legitimate concerns about running Windows packages. It is not pitched directly at boffins who know how to install an OS and have probably done it.

4. YY

"For $600 you can buy an Asus ultrabook with Windows 10 installed"

The majority of the costs for a company is not in buying hardware but in maintaining.

At this moment, ChromeOS is SUPERIOR in maintaining costs. Close to 0 if you have thousands of devices done by just 2 persons.

5. Tom 13

Re: I still don't see the value.

The value is the $600 you spent all went to the hardware.

As for the management piece, I guess you skipped the part of the article where they discussed it.

I'm still leery of it because:

1) It's cloud based and I don't trust internet connections for that sort of up time.

2) It's cloud based and I don't trust the cloud for data migration.

3) It's Chrome which phones home to Larry.

If those things don't other you, go for it. And as you noted you can easily convert it to Linux or possibly even an MS Volume license depending on the terms of your contract.

3. IJC
    Mushroom

Chrome hasn't done well anywhere.

Pick any Windows OS of the last 15 years and there are still more current computers running it than Chrome or any flavor of desktop Linux.

Doesn't matter how much the fanboys scream and shout and claim its the best it hasn't gone anywhere, even when you add all the different flavors together.

Windows 10 in a matter of days has got more market penetration than the Linux desktop has in years.

Let the downvotes begin.

1. P. Lee

>Pick any Windows OS of the last 15 years and there are still more current computers running it than Chrome or any flavor of desktop Linux.

It does seem that a chromebook is a laptop with a pathetic-sized SSD.

As for Chrome's failure, that's down to the same reason linux hasn't really taken off. No-one wants to be responsible for the failures involved in the a project as massive as a Windows removal. The potential savings are far outweighed by the potential losses. That isn't to say that Windows is a good thing, merely that extracting it is tricky. Like a fixed-size brain tumour, you have to decide if its worth pulling it out.

1. Craigness

It's not about the storage

"It does seem that a chromebook is a laptop with a pathetic-sized SSD."

I'd file this under "someone who doesn't know what Chrome OS is about" but there's no room left in my cloud.

2. naive

Microsoft always has been very smart about pricing of server CALS, causing that the costs of a user login on a MS Server were equivalent to buying an new PC with windows. This fact put every alternative, using server based solutions, on a cost disadvantage.

The mix of Microsoft software which is good enough quality, and the fact that developing alternatives did not offer significant reduction in costs compensating for the risks of user revolt, "Hey my MS-Word icon is not on the right top and it looks weird". Until recent this all worked out well for MS.

Perhaps times changed. First people are now used to smart phones, forcing them to get used to something else than the MS interface, users are more flexible.

A consultant who nowadays still would propose a local 1995 style windows farm implementation to small/mid sized companies is blinded by ancient box shifting paradigms.

The operating costs of a 1995 MS-farm are significant. Many people needed for backup, constant exchange server breast feeding, sql servers crying all the time, and how about rebooting the whole farm once a month for patching the latest set of 9+ CVE's ?.

It can be explained that windows alternatives were not successful in the past, for the future there is a clear potential for alternatives, cloud and thin client based, to gain a significant share on the working place.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

@IJC

Have you made any post that wasn't Windows astroturfing?

1. Wilseus

"@IJC

Have you made any post that wasn't Windows astroturfing?"

I just had a look at some of his other posts. I barely managed one page before wanting to poke my eyes out with the nearest sharp object I could find.

He's like an inverse-Eadon.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think we only down vote US-based Microsoft employees...

...but I hope this doesn't upset you.

4. n0de

SMB SMB SMB... can't touch my shares?...can't use in the places where they want to make the biggest dent.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Unhappy

It is not Windows

so you send all your data to Google rather than Microsoft.

Perhaps this is a case of "Out of the frying pan and into the fire" then?

1. hplasm
      Meh

Re: It is not Windows

It's starting to look more like 'Out of the smouldering pile of suspiciously petrol soaked rags and dynamite into the frying pan...'

6. Joe Harrison

Will nobody think of the users?

People are usually fairly alright with being given a corporate laptop despite having to look after it, charge it up, cart it around everywhere, and so on. This is because they can also use it for their own stuff (if necessary by ignoring policies that say they mustn't.)

The same might not be true for a dumb box that only boots into a locked-down remote desktop.

7. Alan Edwards

$900 ??

Who in their right mind would pay $900 for a Chromebook? There's (pretty much) no local storage and you can't do real work on it because it doesn't run the software people use to do work.

You can get an i5 XPS 13 for $900, which runs Office, PhotoShop, Premiere, Visual Studio etc. Even AutoCAD should be usable.

Chromebooks are OK as very cheap machines that you're not too upset when you drop it off a cliff. They don't make any sense (to me) at real laptop money.

1. Killing Time

Re: $900 ??

You see, I ask that same question of a PC or a Mac. Who in their right mind would pay that amount when the upgrade cycle being forced on the user is shortening on an increasing scale. Unfortunately that is the type of money you would pay for a functional PC/entry level Mac, in the Chromebook world that is top of the range where you are out to impress others or spoil yourself. You don’t need to spend it just to get onboard.

I won’t get into the debate over what functionality is available to the Chromebook user apart from saying that perhaps your view of what software people use 'to do work' and the vast majority of users differs somewhat. In three years of using a CB I can count on the fingers of one hand when I felt that I missed some specific function. This soon passed however as I found a ready solution.

I don’t have to get bogged down in maintaining the tool, I can just get on with the work and leisure pursuits the tool is there to provide, confident my data and work will be there when I want it. The privacy argument (which is something that invariably gets thrown up), I am currently comfortable with, if and when I feel uncomfortable, I will find another solution.

Precisely my requirement from any tool I use.

1. John 104

Privacy for business is kind of a big deal...

1. Killing Time

Privacy for business is kind of a big deal...

I fully agree, as much a big deal for them as an individual user. Not all businesses keep hosting and services in-house though, do they. Even if they do, there is still the possibility of a rogue, criminal or spiteful employee causing all kinds of grief within the organisation's systems, same as a third party provider.

Undertake an informed assessment of the risks and make your choice. Review your decision periodically based on an understanding of the current technologies and offerings. Keep doing that until you die...That's life, gotta keep learning and moving.

8. Iain Cognito

Have to reiterate, the point is the Chromebook pretty much looks after itself. The wintel Ultrabook needs a lot of support.

All Google needs to put in place is a cloudy Exchange/Outlook replacement.

1. Bigg Phill

Google Exchange/Outlook replacement

Genuine question:

What is it that Exchange/Outlook does (from an end user perspective) that you don't think Google's applications do? (Mail, Calendar etc.)

I interchange between the two for work/personal use and don't see much in the way of features that you can do with Microsoft's kit but not with Google's

But maybe there are features MS offers that Google doesn't that I'm unaware of?

... In fairness, I've never had a need to set up an out of office notification in GMail as I'm never in an office for that account

9. Phil_Evans

the alterntive to...

"A central console allows administrators to control the rollout of operating system updates, security protocols, passwords, and user interface changes on a company-wide, workgroup, or individual basis."

If I just swallow the hook on that one for now - The Windows world of fat clients and apps has made an entire industry out of something called 'SCCM' (it's version of the above, sort of). It makes a Quantum computer model looks straightforward and has become a behemoth monster as MSFT plug any bit of hybrid cloud into it. Something like the above that managed all those shitty bits like Citrix and profiles would be a boon.

But I don't believe it anyway. Managing a corporate estate of 75K Chromebooks would be a lot more complex than that. And that's the winning ticket to shoo-off Windows.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like