back to article Cisco network kit warning: Watch out for malware in the firmware

Cisco has warned users to watch out who's got admin access to kit, because it's seen malicious ROM images in the wild. The problem is that this isn't something the Borg can just issue a patch for. Admins – with appropriate credentials, naturally – need to be able to drop new ROM images on their kit as a matter of course. "The …

1. Mark 85

"Sophisticated actor"???

Like someone state backed? So many choices....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Sophisticated actor"???

Is Huawei kit affected?

;-)

2. Rick Giles
      Childcatcher

Re: "Sophisticated actor"???

Little Billy RE'd it in his dads tool shed because he thought it was neat and wanted to make it dance.

2. Cirdan
    Black Helicopters

Black helicopters

Just sayin'.

...Cirdan...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Holy *crap*

When will it end?

There must be a better way.

1. Charles 9

Re: Holy *crap*

Actually, there's NO better way. It's like with the front door. If someone steals or copies your keys, you're screwed. As long as there are criteria for SOMEONE to get in, someone else can mimic that someone enough to pass the criteria also.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I'm no expert on switches, but couldn't you require that ROMMON images be signed?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If these are used by high-up companies that insist on customization, then no as they may not be allowed to send their custom ROMMON images up to Cisco for signing due to Trade Secrets issues.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reverse Engineer Cisco Equipment?

Just add the "No Reverse Engineering allowed clause" to the CISCO EULA, and the jobs a good un!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ANT division JETPLOW implant

So they finally found samples of NSA backdoors. What's lame is Cisco has not provided a way to verify the integrity of device firmware.

6. Art Jannicelli

Paywall downside

Hey Cisco... This is why you need to release your updates from behind a pay wall. If admins could download updates and even the Cisco VPN client without having to go through TAC hell for access... Maybe kits like these would be a non-issue since admins would not be trying to download updates/clients from random places on the internet.

HP is in the process of making this same mistake.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Paywall downside

This is my personal opinion, formed from my experiences. I realise other people's experience may differ.

If Cisco didn't have the maintenance agreement scenario from hell, then perhaps more of the small-mid level people looking after their kit might be able to decide what they actually need to buy, in which case paywalls might make a little sense, though I disagree in principal with paywall for support services - if you need an ongoing maintenance contract to fix bugs present at the time of purchase, it encourages people to download support software from unofficial sources.

As for their complexity... For example, if you buy a Cisco telepresence system, then you don't get a lifetime's upgrades thrown in; you don't even get 1 year's worth of upgrades thrown in. You get nada. I bought one and discovered a bug in the firmware that prevented us from using it as we wished on our network. It was fixed in a firmware released about a month after I bought the kit.

"Did you buy the software maintenance package *insert long string of serial numbers*?"

"No, I bought the maintenance package *insert different long string of serial numbers*."

"Ah. That's for SX units with a different add-on package option. That'll be £460 please."

"How about 'sold fit for purpose'?"

"Hmmm... Well, we'll let you download it this time, but that'll be it!"

If you want Webex, they make it look simple - 3 prices, 3 choices. But look closely - there's Webex training centre, Webex Meeting Centre, Webex Support Centre, Collaboration Meeting Rooms... and then if you've invested in a room system they want you to pay £1ks more for a Touch screen that integrates Outlook and Webex, plus a subscription to this add-on and...

So on and so forth.

They are a diverse company, and have a lot of products; they buy up companies that catch their eye and turn THEM into complex beasts. They have products that differ by the order of words in the title each having its own pricing and support structure. The products themselves are generally great, but the whole sales and support is an utter nightmare.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Paywall downside

I may have misunderstood the original poster in this thread. I interpreted "release updates from behind a paywall" to mean, "put the releases behind a paywall", when I should have interpreted it as "not put your update releases behind a paywall".

My apologies, therefore, for the down vote. I've changed my thumbs down to a thumbs up.

7. Pronounce

BOOM Another Spook Attack Vector Makes the News

Mark 85 said it first. This is a physical access exploit that takes money, clout, and expertise (i.e., nation states, organized crime).

So then basically Cisco is giving away state secrets by advertizing that they've seen this exploit, right?

8. Flat Phillip
    Unhappy

Linked blog

If you try to visit the cisco blog (link is in the article) and attempt to sign-in, you get a weak DH key error. Funny to see that on a blog entry about security.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like