back to article Australia's marriage equality vote should take place online

Australia's government has all-but-decided the nation should go to a plebiscite to decide whether local marriage laws should be altered to permit same-sex marriage. That vote should take place online. For those who oppose the plebiscite, or alterations to the Marriage Act, an online vote could be palatable as be cheaper and …

1. P. Lee
    Holmes

Its all fun and games

Because then you can get the answer you want on any issue merely by employing the "correct" polling technique. Electronic (favouring the metropolitan vote) or paper ballot (requiring some level of effort on the voters' behalf and being a little more inclusive).

The problem comes when it demonstrably works well. Then people start demanding that all sorts of things you don't want voted on, get done in this "quick cheap and efficient" manner.

2. SBU
    Stop

Tell 'em they're dreaming

"What better way for the DTO to encourage people to sign up for government accounts, and introduce the look and feel it proposes for all government web sites, than with a plebiscite?"

If you are writing about MyGov accounts then nothing will help. The people behind MyGov are utter fucking morons. They can shove MyGov up their arse, rotate it clockwise until it locks and then yank it out with a bus.

Not playing that game, just not playing. Must stop writing now as every remaining word I have to say is foul and vulgar.

1. Mi Tasol

Re: Tell 'em they're dreaming

Please do not insult utter f**king morons.

These are 'australian public "service" monopoly morons' (hence the lower case a in australia).

Far less intelligent than 'utter f**king morons' but highly trained in Parkinsons Law and ultra skilled in the waste of public funds as well as being the worlds experts on time wasting (or, to use the dictionary word - "w*nking").

Every mygov and other aus-ps it-moron dreams of becoming an 'nbnco public "service" monopoly moron' because, to them, that is considered the peak of their "craft".

The nbnco spend millions of dollars advertising how fast they are and in sending emails to those who are trying to get a connection saying "To make the most of superfast NBN speeds, make sure your modem is NBN-ready" but CAN NOT say when they will actually be able to provide this "service".

I live over 350 km from any town with 100,000 or more residents. The local nbnco wireless internet tower is less than a km away and in sight of my house.

It was installed on 22 October 2014.

Almost ten months later it is still not working - just what you would expect from an australian public service monopoly, AND nbnco are STILL unable to say if and when it will become operational. A real world company would sack any management staff who willfully rejected/destroyed/lost 10 months revenue like that. No doubt once this tower is operational there will be absolutely no publicity because then nbnco may actually be forced to keep it going and collect income from it.

In Papua New Guinea the company I worked for occasionally flew (helicoptered) tele-comms towers into remote areas for TelikomPNG and Digicel PNG.

The PNG towers were kitset (not pre-built and pre-wired like the nbnco tower which went past my door on the back of a truck with two cranes in loose convoy) and they were assembled on site from small parts using nothing but manpower.

The hut containing the electronics and batteries, along with the solar power system etc, were also assembled on site from kitsets.

The typical time from dropping the crew and the kit-sets off to having a fully operational tower was TWO DAYS. The final test there was to use the tower to call for the helicopter to come pick them up and I never heard of a team having to go back and fix a tower unless it was damaged by storms, fires or anything except poor workmanship. See http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2015/03/04/nbn_connection_botched_good_luck_ombudsman_says/ for nbnco's performance.

(Yes - I do know that the antennas and electronics are different for wireless telephones and wireless internet but if everything is properly tested before it leaves the factory it will work as soon as it is assembled and aligned. The aviation and other industries have been using out of the box electronics in far tougher operational environments for over 75 years so this is not a recent development to anyone who is not an australian public "service" monopoly moron)

PS - do you know the real reason why they changed their name from NBN Co to nbnco?

Answer - Their top management could not remember how to find the shift key on their keyboards.

3. Invidious Aardvark

Online voting should happen when online voting can be trusted

I wouldn't want to vote for my government online since I see no reason to trust that it is secure, auditable, and anonymous (that anonymity is damned important). Why the hell would I let the government marketing weasels "start the ball rolling" with a "successful test of the eVoting platform" on this(or any other) issue?

Also, what about the luddites without an online presence? Or those who don't want to be signed up to a central government system that monitors their voting habits?

Prove to me that online voting is not subject to trust and security concerns before you try to push it onto us as an efficient, cost-effective means of voting.

1. iLurker

Re: Online voting should happen when online voting can be trusted

Polling places - and staff to run and count the poll - are still needed for the non-digerati to have their say. And the government is legally obliged to provide this opportunity.

An online poll solves nothing.

4. mpm

Can you really see them standing up a solution in less than 5 years?

I wouldn't be betting on it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just make marriage equal now...

...and let Turnbull get on with the NBN, for fuck's sake.

6. bep

No thanks

Use the right tool for the job. The right tool has already been invented and is in use. It's an anonymous, paper ballot paper.

7. -tim

Facts please?

At the last Liberal Party state conference in Victoria, the powerful members had a vote for same sex marriage and it passed by a majority.

The PM's opinion on the matter is in the minority of his own party.

8. Stewba
    Facepalm

Great Idea Malcolm

I'll set up the facebook poll now!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like