back to article BEA gets last laugh on Oracle app server

In Oracle's world nothing changes, everything stays the same and no products ever die. Except those things that get "converged" or downgraded. Among them, Oracle's Application Server that, in the wake of Oracle's $8.5bn acquisition of one-time rival BEA Systems, is losing out to BEA's WebLogic Server. Oracle president Charles …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CTG
    Thumb Down

Very strategic... not

I like this bit: "strategic Java 2 Enterprise Edition container"

Sun dropped the 2 in Java2, oh about a year and a half ago. Really gives you confidence that Oracle have their finger on the pulse, doesn't it?

2. Daniel B.
    Happy

Ok...

At least they're keeping the good application server alive - the one from BEA. I was fearing that OAS would kill WebLogic after this ... but it seems that won't happen.

3. nick

not mourned.

OAS really was a ropey system - the configuration files were a nightmare to manage and I had several occasions where the repository just corrupted itself. Adding a new server to a cluster often meant a full redeployment and support from Oracle was so poor that I would never ever use this again

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@CTG

Came here to say that. I'll get my coat.

5. Beelzeebub
    Gates Halo

Oracle

The only good thing that Oracle makes is the database, and even that's getting questionable now.

Seems to be symptomatic of all enterprise level vendors, they lose the focus on usability and manageability. Mind you, linux hasn't got there yet either!

Flame retardant coat, obviously...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like