back to article Brassiere belays boob-bound bullet, begetting bruised breastbone

A German woman's brassiere may have saved her life by deflecting a bullet. A woman was almost killed during a hunt in North Eastern Germany, when a hunter missed his target and the rebound hit the 41-year-told tourist. The woman, who was cycling through Germany's least densely populated state of Mecklenberg-Western Pomerania …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could I have the lady's phone number?

Not the cyclist, the one in the picture...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Could I have the lady's phone number?

I think you'll find that should be 55318008, not sure about the area code though.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

Re: Could I have the lady's phone number?

I thought in the UK it was 0908 468 739

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An unfortunate accident.

There should be no charges brought if the hunters were complying with the law.

An investigation? Futile but will appease the anti hunting crew.

1. James 51

Re: An unfortunate accident.

This happened in Germany, not the USA. Hopefully a more level headed approach will be taken but it is incredibly fortunate that the lady is still alive.

2. Richard 81

"There should be no charges brought if the hunters were complying with the law."

Quite right.

...which is exactly the sort of thing that will be established by the investigation.

3. PJI

The shooter was damned lucky it was a ricochet and that it went nowhere near, say, one of her eyes. If the ricochet could strike her, it seems probable that she was lucky the direct shot missed her and her husband. As the couple were cycling across a field, how did this clever shooter manage not to see them? I imagine the law there is as clear as in other European countries about responsibility, taking care etc.. Merely being "within the law" is no defence against damage to property or injury to people or live stock. Of course, in the USA, as far as gun fans are concerned, neither other people nor property (apart from the gun) are relevant or important, as shown again and again by careless shooters, householders fearing burglars and the gun lobby after every fresh shooting outrage.

What is it about fans of guns that makes them careless of everyone else?

I do know about guns: I carried one for several years in a job. I have got no time for those who want to play with them anywhere outside a shooting range and not much time for those either.

3. Stork Silver badge

Life-saving, really?

How much impact can a bra-wire really stop? To my best knowledge*), they are similar in gauge to coat hangers meaning that the bullet did not have much energy left at the time and therefore would be very unlikely to kill the lady, even if she had been topless.

Bu never let facts spoil a good story ;-)

*) Mainly based on hanging the household laundry. Should do some more research...

1. Richard 81

Re: Life-saving, really?

It would probably have broken the skin and lodged itself between/in her ribs.

2. DasWezel
      Boffin

"How much impact can a bra-wire really stop? To my best knowledge*), they are similar in gauge to coat hangers"

I hope you're not impugning one of the best bodging supplies (the coat hangers, not the bra) known to man here.

1. Little Mouse
        Boffin

"How much impact can a bra-wire really stop?"

Well, I can personally testify that they can stop a washing machine spinning at 1400 rpm in its tracks, truly embuggering it in the process...

1. Bluto Nash

"Embuggering?" I like it.

1. Pookietoo

Re: Embuggering

Terry Pratchett described his illness as "an embuggerance".

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah, but to bodge with a bra, now that is art

3. Eddy Ito

Since no skin was broken and there was no mention of broken bone the question is whether it managed to put a hole in the cloth of whatever she was wearing. Typically, a hunting round has a soft tip or hollow point and will often break up on the initial impact leaving smaller parts that fly off with much less capability of inflicting damage. Of course it could have been a solid or tmj which is less likely to break up but the article doesn't state. The only time I've been hit by such shrapnel I was lucky enough that it didn't make it through the denim I was wearing but I did make the mistake of quickly picking up the shard in a wtf was that moment, a mistake because it was damn hot.

4. Captain DaFt

"How much impact can a bra-wire really stop?"

Depends on bullet velocity, composition and angle of impact.

Not knowing the details, but based on the report, low velocity due to "rebound" (ricochet), and a shallow angle of impact since the victim was riding by the hunting scene.

Assuming it was a shallow angle instead of head on, the length of the underwire would have helped deflect the bullet.

Plus, bra underwires are tougher than coathangers, spring steel rather than soft steel.

5. Marshalltown
      Pint

The strike was from a "rebound" - ricochet in the US -so, no, it didn't have much energy left. If you follow the screwy news, the armadillos in the southeast US and Texas have been shooting back too. One fellow bounced a round off an armadillo, through a fence and into his mother-in-law. That's the kind of hurt that keeps on giving and giving and giving. "No honey! No, I really was shooting at an armadillo. I'ld never mistake your mom for an armadillo. No honey, I could never have said something like that! You must have misheard!"

1. Captain DaFt

"One fellow bounced a round off an armadillo, through a fence and into his mother-in-law."

That armadillo's aim is getting better, This time he hit the guy that shot him!

4. Charles Manning

Where's Ms Bee when you need her?

Clearly the Reg is lacking in knowledge of female clothing.

Underwire is not "wire lining". Not even in Old East German bras.

As Stork says, a rebounding bullet (wtf is a rebounding bullet? it's a bullet - not a basket ball) will be unstable and would have shed most of its energy. It certainly would not be likely to kill her.

About the minimum you'd need to kill a person with a direct hit to the chest would be a .22 and that would cut straight through an underwire. I have shot .22s through a car door [details redacted] and that's way stronger than any underwire.

1. Richard 81

Re: Where's Ms Bee when you need her?

"wtf is a rebounding bullet?"

A ricochet.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorry Mr Manning, you might need to go back to the test lab. A thin skin like a car door is not much protection against anything small and fast (even if light) and the underwire being a chunk of heavy gauge wire is going to be more resistant to that, including by moving under impact.

You can stick a screwdriver through a car door but you have to stand on the wirecutters to dismantle the bra - using instruments of the small domestic non-electric non-industrial non-Tim-the-Toolman variety or all bets are off.

You're not wrong but ultimotely (see what I did there) it's not as useful a comparison as might first appear. No doubt one or more of the resident genius pedants will have more to offer.

3. GrumpenKraut

> Underwire is not "wire lining". Not even in Old East German bras.

In East Germany they wear cast iron bras. At least they sound as if they do.

4. Mark 85

They were hunting boar, which means aiming low. "Rebound" probably means richochet. If the boars in Germany are anything like the wild pigs in parts of the US, then it won't be a hollow point round. Nasty critters, wild pigs are.

1. kraut

Nasty critters, wild pigs are.

Surprisingly tasty, though.

2. Omgwtfbbqtime
        Boffin

Wusses.

The correct tool for hunting boar is a spear.

... and some form of body armour.

Icon for PPE

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boared now

move along

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. VeganVegan

Re: Boared now

To wit, not all signs are boards, and not all boards are signs.

2. Michael Thibault

Re: Boared now

Puns are a bad sign of poor wit.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any comments, Mr Boar?

"Well, I think these hunters with their rifles are cowardly apes. Let's meet tusk-to-tusk and fight like pigs!"

7. AceRimmer1980
    IT Angle

Was it made from

Titanium?

1. yoganmahew

Re: Was it made from

Boaron, I think...

8. ShadowDragon8685

Yeaaaaah, I'm gonna have to say that if the underwire bounced the ricochet, it was tumbling and had lost so much of its energy that the woman's bare breast would have bounced it, too.

Probably pick up a hell of a bruise one way or another, though.

9. x 7

Hunters. Bunch of teutonic tits.

10. Kubla Cant

Teutonic tits

I can't rid my mind of the image of some hefty Brunhilde riding her bike in horned helmet and armoured bra.

1. Dan Paul

Re: Teutonic tits (Elmer Phud Image@Kubla Cant)

And I can't get the cartoon image of Elmer Phud in Teutonic drag hunting Wabbits. Shsshh be vewy quiet and can hear him sing - Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, etc

1. x 7

Re: Teutonic tits (Elmer Phud Image@Kubla Cant)

Kill the wabbitt

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1atzuy_what-s-opera-doc_shortfilms

2. Michael Thibault

Re: Teutonic tits

>I can't rid my mind of the image of some hefty Brunhilde riding her bike...

And now that you mention it...

11. Alistair
    Gimp

urrm

Gauge of underwire is somewhat dependent on overall size of garment. Given that it stopped a ricochet, and well, healthy cycling female, and umm.... Perhaps measurements are in order to determine which gauge of wire was in play.... *cough*

(and from my experience, its usually *spring* steel, not coat hanger type steel, and that crap is *hard* to break)

(possibly mask is relevant)

12. earl grey
    Happy

Ah, the redoubtable Ms. Bee

Sorely missed and hopefully doing well in all aspects. In her honor:

ODFO

13. x 7

bulletproof bra wires (NSFW)

made to order!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/brooksbot75

1. cosymart
      Childcatcher

Who knew that heavy metal could be so interesting....:-)

14. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    IT Angle

No mention of Bulgarian Airbags

Which could have given extra shock absorption.

That's got me thinking - what if Bulgarian Airbags were filled with not silicone or saline, but with a Sheer Thickening Fluid?

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
      Gimp

Re: No mention of Bulgarian Airbags

Custard filled?

<<shudder>>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like