back to article EU data protection tsar spams lawmakers with his unwanted opinions

The EU's independent privacy watchdog has stuck his oar into negotiations on a new EU-wide data protection law. Despite having no formal role in drafting the new Data Protection Regulation, European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) Giovanni Buttarelli has sent his unsolicited recommendations to the three institutions involved …

1. Chris Evans

Why no official involvement?

I wonder why the EDPS isn't being formally involved.

According to the EU's official website:

"The EDPS is an independent supervisory authority devoted to protecting personal data and privacy and promoting good practice in the EU institutions and bodies. He does so by:

monitoring the EU administration's processing of personal data;

advising on policies and legislation that affect privacy; and

cooperating with similar authorities to ensure consistent data protection."

Large committees always seem to get these things wrong, smaller bodies/individuals seem to be less likely to make a balls up.

1. boatsman

Re: Why no official involvement? because they cannot tell him to. he is independent, yes ?

some letters here....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An app?

I thought the apple guidelines say an app has to be useful. ... ie. Have a use.

3. Little Mouse

"Buttarelli"

<snigger>

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

“Legislation is the art of the possible,”

Only a politician could think so. In the real world Legislation should be the art of the minimal.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Jennifer

You may think that privacy is one of those things that's pointless to have (I've done nothing wrong, etc.), until you actually need it.

What about getting the benefit of some personal experience before regaling us with your frankly quite worthless opinions?

Myself, I have suffered a serious, deliberate, targeted, and repeated breach of privacy by a UK authority. In the end, it was the European Commission who stepped in to help and stop the abuse, and they were most helpful, fair, and responsive. I was left with the impression that those guys (and note they are *not* politicians) do give personal rights proper consideration and genuinely have society's first, then individuals', best interests in mind.

You are of course more than welcome not to exercise whatever personal rights you choose, but please do not pretend those rights are useless and not worth defending, especially by those with a mandate to do so. You, or those you care about, may need them one day.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: @ Jennifer

Where in this article does Jennifer express an opinion that privacy is worthless? Such an opinion would be entirely against everything she has ever written. I might as well say that you are attacking her simply because she is female author, call you a misogynist and imply you shove your overinflated head up your ever so tightly close asshole.

But I wouldn't, because you haven't said anything that indicated that you're actually being a misogynist. You are, however, clearly illiterate, so I'll recommend remedial education instead.

6. boatsman

downloads. as of this moment

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like