back to article Google ready for another pop at India, with Android One in hand

Google is trying the good old switching-it-off-and-on-again ploy with its scheme to sell super-cheap Android phones in India. Android One has been a flop, with the Chocolate Factory failing to understand the Indian market. The dominant manufacturers – Micromax, Intex and Spice – felt that the OS was an American solution being …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Read the reviews

All Google needs to do is read the reviews here: http://www.amazon.in/product-reviews/B00NEFXOGA/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Main gripes are:

- bad partners for the hardware

- too many hardware failures

- bad customer care

- bad battery

- inferior hardware specs

Indian public will happily pay more for quality hardware, support and features

1. Martin 47

Re: Read the reviews

hmmm ........ and I wonder what the specs of a sub $50 phone will be?

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: Read the reviews

Yo! Google!: A windup/pullstring battery charger is a SHINY problem!

There, that should sort that.

Oh. Someone's already invented cranking USB chargers. Drat. Well, bundle one with the phone

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cricket?

Dare I google that?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Cricket?

You should be safe doing that, as long as you're not Australian.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

Re: Cricket?

Based on my experience of the blinding internet speeds down-under, they will probably regain the Ashes long before the page even loads.

3. Richard Taylor 2

Android One has been a flop, with the Chocolate Factory failing to understand the Indian market. The dominant manufacturers – Micromax, Intex and Spice – felt that the OS was an American solution being arrogantly foisted upon them.

Well with no understanding of the market, I can still understand that "they would say that wouldn't they".

But who would not like better dust/water proofing, better speakers ect ect ect. Can live without am/fm radio though, although without good 3G I can understand why others do care.

4. Kurt 4
    Windows

Google is shaking in their boots, they fear Windows Phone.

5. pakman

Intex is already trying out an Android alternative

Looks like they are giving Sailfish OS a go: https://cdn.jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/55_SAILFISH_INDIA_PRESS_RELEASE_JULY2015_FINAL.PDF

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. "phones need to support the four major religions: Hinduism, Islam, Bollywood and Cricket".

Is this some kind of Sikh joke?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like