back to article First SPACE SALAD on Monday's menu for ISS astronauts

Fresh food grown in space will, for the first time, be consumed by astronauts aboard the International Space Station (ISS). NASA has announced the meal will take place on Monday, when red romaine lettuce grown aboard the ISS will be added to the menu. The lettuce was produced under Operation Veggie, an effort that's seen a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Instead of using citric acid wipes, how about using dilute acetic acid (vinegar) and perhaps a little oil?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Little Mouse

"What are they expected to be cleaning off?

Any space-alien spores / fungus etc that managed to enter the ISS, presumably. Though why it would then proceed to wait patiently on some lettuce is anybody's guess.

2. A Known Coward

The ISS is a sealed box, air has been recycled up there for years now. Traces of everything that leaves the human body remain on every surface in the station despite regular cleaning. In some places the actual fabric of the station is being damaged by the high bacteria levels. It's a floating septic tank, and worse, bacteria and fungal behave differently in space which may lead to more potent mutations. If you wash salad vegetables before consumption on Earth, and you should, then you'd be really stupid not to be doing it on board the ISS.

1. Little Mouse

+1 to you Mr Coward - That makes a lot of sense.

You have somewhat tarnished my mental image of the ISS interior though.

2. Tom 7

Lemon juice and oil makes a fine dressing.

Nice to see they're following Douglas Adams with the lemon scented wipes!

3. Mark 85

Instead of using citric acid wipes, how about using dilute acetic acid (vinegar) and perhaps a little oil?

I think that would be a splendid idea. However, the question that comes to mind is how would one toss the salad in space?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think we should ask Chris Rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXrb8jurCs8

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Alister
      Joke

Have they thought of putting bacon with it?

Piiigs iiin Spaaaaace!!

Oh wait, it's been done.

1. Paul Westerman
        Coat

Operation Veggie

FIIIGS IIN SPAAAACE

2. Ian Michael Gumby
        Joke

I was more concerned about the acid wash...

When I read the title of the article it just said acid wash... Here I was thinking this was a plot to experiment on the poor astronauts by washing their food in acid... aka LSD.

How disappointing that they meant a citric acid wash.

Lucy in the sky ...

3. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

More on the Menu

I think it is wonderful that the space station dwellers get fresh salad. I would have thought that either sprouts of some sort or an aquatic species (perhaps duckweed or watercress) would have been an easier starting point, but we certainly cannot accuse anyone up there of aiming low!

4. skeptical i
    Devil

reminds me of the "radioactive seeds" episode of _Gilligan's Island_

Corn that grew into hula-hoop shaped cobs ("Budget corn, making both ends meet!" -- Skipper), udder-shaped carrots, and I don't remember what all else besides The Professor no doubt constructing a geiger counter from coconuts and fish bones. Tee-hee!

5. Charles Manning

Why citirc acid?

Could have used acetic acid: a nice little vinaigrette.

6. saif

Trekkies understand the Laws of thermodynamics and mass conservation.

Energy obtained will not exceed, or even come remotely close to, the energy required to produce the lettuce. Waste produced will considerably exceed the digestible material generated. So the mass of the lettuce comes from 1) water and nitrogen from the astronauts urine and 2) CO2 they breath out. The only energy comes second hand from solar power converting light to electricity and back again. But most of the dry mass is cellulose which is indigestible to humans with normal gut organisms. Only way this could possibly work in long journeys if there was a composting sterilising facility, but even then realistically energy is better spent on earth and sending up dry, high energy, low residue foods, than creating a ecosystem in space. That is why The Starship Enterprise did not grow its own food, resorting instead to the replicator.

1. Avatar of They
      Trollface

Re: Trekkies understand the Laws of thermodynamics and mass conservation.

... but in Babylon 5 they had hydroponic gardens on board. Which in many episodes was raised as a source of food and argument over amount of ship taken up with growing things.

And grass. No use other than to look pretty.

Yes I realise I might have started a nerd war between genre's - but didn't galactica the original series have crop ships? and who can forget huey, duey and looey, the gardening robots in space?

But interesting article, step in the right direction and all that.

1. ~mico
        Boffin

Babylon 5 was relatively huge compared to a galaxy-class starship, and, lacking holodecks, and being a civilian installation, had to provide recreational space as well. This explains the gardens. Also having lots of energy to spare (no warp engine to feed) helps.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

and even then Babylon 5 required resupplying.

But the biggest question is still unanswered. What time is lunch on the ISS? Has it happenned yet?

2. stucs201

Re: The Starship Enterprise did not grow its own food

Voyager however did have a have a hydroponics section...

1. Greggles

Re: The Starship Enterprise did not grow its own food

Officially it was the airponics bay, though internet arguments seem to suggest it was both.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: your photo-shop-of-horrors

If the plant says "Feed Me Seymour", then it's time for an EVA.

8. Dave 32
    Devil

Lift Their Moods

"It's also hoped that adding fresh food to astronauts' diets will help them to cope with radiation and may even lift their moods."

So, how long before they start growing marijuana? Or, have they already? Maybe that's what's contributing to the grungy condition aboard the craft. Oh, well, at least the initials will stay the same: International Sewage System.

Dave

9. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

MEAT!

Wake me from stasis when they are growing sheep, I'm strictly non-vegitatian.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like