back to article Samsung looks into spam ads appearing on Brits' smart TVs

Samsung is launching an investigation into British customers receiving spam ads in their smart TVs. Sammy appears to be sending ads directly to some TVs using the notification bar, which was previously used to alert system updates. One reader got in touch with The Register to complain there has been no explanation or solution …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

Easily solved.

When you buy your [next] smart TV, insist that you receive one which won't do this. In writing if needs be. Then if (when ?) it misbehaves, you can return the TV to the retailer under the SoGA, and bypass the manufacturer.

If more people did this, it would happen less.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. The Eee 701 Paddock

Re: Easily solved.

"There are much better alternatives out there..."

...and I would've thought a good starting point would be: why buy a "smart TV" in the first place?

I've learned the hard way about "planned obsolescence" in this kind of product, when in 2010 we bought our Sony Blu-ray player (with added network media facilities - LOVEFiLM/Amazon, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, etc.), and a "dumb" LG flat-screen.

By early 2015, iPlayer and YT had both stopped working, thanks to the APIs they relied upon being phased out by the services in question. Now, the BR player lives on solely as a way to play BRs and DVDs, with all network-based video-streaming duties handled by a Roku device (Streaming Stick, at time of writing) plugged into HDMI on the TV.

Point? At least in this case, the loss of iPlayer and YouTube was fixed by a ~£35 HDMI dongle, and the BR player was still partly useful afterwards. I'd feel sick as the proverbial talking avian, if I'd coughed up £100s (or more) for a "smart" telly, only to be left high and dry a few years later when the manufacturer decided it was time we bought a new set off them.

Personally, I'd rather add "smart" capabilities to a "dumb" TV via a plug-in device which can be replaced when it (the device, not the telly) becomes obsolete, but that's just me...

1. Joe Drunk

I've learned the hard way about "planned obsolescence" in this kind of product, when in 2010 we bought our Sony Blu-ray player (with added network media facilities - LOVEFiLM/Amazon, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, etc.), and a "dumb" LG flat-screen.

Join the club - my Sony Blu-rays' Youtube is "no longer supported". Netflix still works but who knows for how long. The lappy I have connected to my dumb display takes care of all the "smart" TV features I need.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Why did you buy a bluray player when a ps3 was cheaper and updateable?

1. David Nash Silver badge

Speaking for myself I was in a similar position. The BR player is also the home cinema unit and came with speakers. Plus I had no desire for a game console and although my son got one later, attempts at using it for iplayer were mixed. First issue is requiring a Sony account. Second issue is the number of times it requires updates just when you were about to settle down to watch something on iPlayer. Next issue is the crappy UI, although that's partly the BBC's fault (iplayer used to be much nicer in my opinion) but the Sony game controller is better suited to playing games than for iplayer.

Now for iPlayer we use an Amazon fire stick which I got from the launch offer for £19.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Before long there will only be smart TVs

But that's fine, a smart TV also functions as a dumb TV. If you don't connect it to the internet and use it purely as a dumb TV, you don't have to worry about being spammed by ads or care about its software becoming obsolete.

Most TV makers are unlikely to provide updates after it is a year or maybe two years old so you shouldn't depend on its existing smart functions being useful for very long, let alone being provided new 'apps' to handle online services that are still in the "two guys in a garage" stage today. They'll tell you "buy a new TV" if you want to support that hot new service that's kicking Netflix's ass in 2019.

2. Mark 85

Personally, I'd rather add "smart" capabilities to a "dumb" TV via a plug-in device which can be replaced when it (the device, not the telly) becomes obsolete, but that's just me...

There's the problem.. you and most of us want things that just work. Manufacturers want profit.. lots of it. Between killing API's, lack of updates, and planned obsolescence, they win and we lose.

3. VinceH

Re: Easily solved. (@ The Eee 701 Paddock)

"By early 2015, iPlayer and YT had both stopped working, thanks to the APIs they relied upon being phased out by the services in question. Now, the BR player lives on solely as a way to play BRs and DVDs, with all network-based video-streaming duties handled by a Roku device (Streaming Stick, at time of writing) plugged into HDMI on the TV."

My Samsung Blu-Ray player is a supposedly 'smart' device, offering such things as iPlayer, Netflix, and so on. I should imagine that it, too, is now much less 'smarter' than it was when I bought it.

However, it doesn't matter. There were no hard lessons for me to learn, because I never wanted to use it for those purposes anyway, so it doesn't get connected to the internet. (I did briefly, out of curiosity, but it's remained offline since).

And with that in mind, from the article:

'Another added: "Same issue here, how do we turn this off?"'

Disconnect it from the internet. Problem goes away as if by magic.

1. bep

Yes, well

I'd like to turn off my LG Bluray player's wifi connection, which I turned on once out of curiosity. Unfortunately it appears to have an 'on' switch, but no 'off' switch. So now it's permanently on, but not connected, which is probably why it and the LG TV it's connected to take an age to actually, you know, display an image.

1. VinceH

Re: Yes, well

Look for some kind of factory reset option?

2. ben kendim

Nor LG... My LG TV does this and I swore I would never eber buy any LG product. At the time I had even checked and Samsung had said they do not serve advertising to their TV's.

So it seems my next television will not be smart or connected, just a plain HDMI input!

2. Stumpy

or just don't buy a smart TV. Buy a traditional, dumb model instead.

Honestly, folks will be telling me they want their vacuum cleaners connected to the internet next...

1. g e

Actually, yes.

The SKY box emits HDMI as does the Netflix-playing PS4. The Pi2 runs openElec Kodi which deals with everything else.

Just need a 50" HDMI panel, really. Also, no license required if it can't receive TV?? We don't actually have an aerial plugged into either smart TV, thinking about it.

1. Trollslayer
          Thumb Down

You receive broadcasts through the Sky box so you are receiving TV programmes.

1. g e

As part of a subscription, though

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Just need a 50" HDMI panel, really. Also, no license required if it can't receive TV??

Until the BBC licence review is complete, at any rate. Then I expect that internet users will be expected to pay whether they want the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation's output or not.

In theory it would be simpler and fairer just to make iPlayer a subscription service, but that sets a precedent for the broadcast service that the Beeb live in fear of. And for the politicians, as soon as they've invented a more generic broadband tax that initially is in lieu of the licence fee, it soon becomes yet another way of scooping cash from the population, to spend on whatever the government of the day want.

3. David Nash Silver badge

If it has a tuner you need a license. In fact you're supposed to have one for viewing "as live" on iplayer etc.

1. F0rdPrefect

If it has a tuner you need a license.

No you don't, if it is not capable of receiving broadcast. IE no connection to an aerial, Sky dish or cable supplier.

Then you can happily use it just to play back your VCRs and DVDs and to take feed from 'tinternet via broadband.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. ben kendim

No, that was BITNET... :-) :-)

3. BlartVersenwaldIII

> Buy a traditional, dumb model instead.

Easier said than done - when I bought my last TV (a samsung - had the best picture for the price once calibrated from the eye-watering settings in the showroom) three or four years ago, it was already getting difficult not to find ones that had all the networky oojmaflip built in. The TV I ended up buying had been marked down because it had committed the terrible sin of not having an integrated wireless NIC and if you wanted to use the unusably slow iplayer app you'd need to spend £15 on an adapter or - god forbid - one of those appallingly stone-aged ethernet cables.

A brief shindig through the listings at John Lewis tells me that if I want something of roughly equivalent spec (basically a screen with an HDMI connection to be plugged into more capable devices), only 6 out of 28 didn't have wifi or smart features built in. By the time this TV dies or I'm thinking about being in the market for a 4k TV I imagine it'll be impossible to buy one without, and from then it'll only be a matter of time before half these TVs won't work properly without some boneheaded functionality wrapped up in IoT cloud bumfluffery.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

> Buy a traditional, dumb model instead.

Easier said than done

A brief shindig through the listings at John Lewis tells me that if I want something of roughly equivalent spec (basically a screen with an HDMI connection to be plugged into more capable devices), only 6 out of 28 didn't have wifi or smart features built in

Just disable the WiFi and don't plug in the Ethernet cable?(*)

Or do what I may well do and buy a large(**) computer monitor or "commercial display". Sound comes from the HiFi, TV from the external receiver. The monitor never needs to be anything more than a monitor. This is the way I'm using my Sony Trinitron, and will do until it dies as I've yet to meet an LCD display that can do the same job.

Separate components means, a: I'm not bereft of entertainment if one dies, and b: I can replace or upgrade a component at a time as funds allow

Examples: NEC or SONY.

Actually, not sure about that Sony as it seems to be a smart TV with the tuner taken out! Nevertheless, you get the point.

There are other caveats - computer monitors often can't do aspect ratio switching (handy if, like me, you have a library of old VHS or Laserdiscs that you don't want to lose), occasionally they can't do 50Hz/25Hz (and rarely 24Hz), they usually have a limited number of inputs (but many tuners will be able to do HDMI switching anyway) and you'll either have to get out of your chair to hit the power switch or just rely on it going to "sleep" when the tuner goes into standby. Computer monitors rarely have composite or s-video inputs but those called "commercial displays" usually do, and often also do most of the "TV-like" stuff that computer monitors can't.

Other than that, you can actually get a better picture, particularly on those displays which are designed for public advertising or the like which can have much better viewing angles than domestic TVs, especially those which can operate in "portrait" as well as "landscape" mode.

M.

(*)Though I do have a cheap smart Philips TV in the kitchen and I'm convinced that the reason it takes - literally - a whole minute to start up sometimes is because it's looking desperately for a network and not finding one. The Trinitron is slower to start up than when it was new, but there's a usable picture on screen after about 10 seconds, and I've yet to meet an LCD computer monitor that takes more than 5 or 6 seconds to get from "off" to "picture", some are a lot quicker.

(**)By "large" I mean anything over about 26". My Trinitron is 23" and just about big enough for the living room (it was the smallest widescreen available when I bought it) and I really can't see the point of anything bigger than 40" in most living rooms.

2. P. Lee

But even smart TV's have inputs. Just hook up a PC to one of them and ignore all the "smart" stuff.

I've gone the other way. Rather than get a large screen and sit back, I get a smaller screen and sit close.

If you have a beef with the license fee, pop a silicon dust tuner in your neighbour's attic and run some ethernet... ;)

Or you can just do without. You'd be amazed what you can get used to and how much people talk, read and play games (which are mostly just an excuse to talk).

4. Sureo

"Vacuum cleaners connected to the internet"

Isn't that what NSA does?

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"...or just don't buy a smart TV. Buy a traditional, dumb model instead."

Having just gone through the process of buying a TV myself, this isn't a viable approach if you're also wanting one of the TVs with better image quality. Whilst the cheapest models in the range are "dumb" and look "good", when you look at the more expensive models, there's a noticable improvement in image quality (both colour reproduction and motion processing). Also, I'm not aware of any 4K TV being non-smart, so if you're after one of them ...

Annoying, as I have no interest in the smart functionality - I just want a TV that's a TV, and will plug things into it if I want it to do other things, but LG/Panasonic/Samsung/Sony seem to have a different opinion ...

6. Mark 85

Honestly, folks will be telling me they want their vacuum cleaners connected to the internet next...

Don't be giving them ideas.. we already have lightbulbs, toasters, refrigerators, and thermostats connected.

7. Turtle

@Stumpy Re: Easily solved.

"Easily solved ... just don't buy a smart TV."

The name tells it all: they are called smart TVs because they can so easily outsmart their users.

8. Warm Braw

>don't buy a smart TV.

Actually, I did buy a dumb TV. However, it was so dumb that it failed to keep up with the "improvements" to the H.264 encoders used by Freeview HD and started showing something that was more like a slideshow than a moving picture.

As the manufacturer (Toshiba) couldn't/wouldn't fix it, it was left to the reseller to replace it with something that actually functioned as a television. The only two options offered were Samsung or LG as they were the cheapest products which included the same features.

It seems that TVs are getting like printers, or mobile phones - a low up-front price is somehow subsidised by ongoing revenue opportunities (subscriptions to streaming services, advertising, in-app purchases). At some point it simply won't be possible to buy a "dumb" device because they'll be forced out of the market by apparently-cheaper platforms for customer-monetisation.

3. Grikath

Or, if you're going to spend €€ on a big-ass screen, and you got your media stuff running over "boxes and devices" anyway, you're probably better off shelling out for a [example] 55" monitor instead of a same-size smart TV.

A quick look at the prices tells me that at the median price of a smart-tv in that size, you can have a decent monitor and have enough dosh left over to build a decent gaming rig/media center/[musthave].

Most peeps here are tech-savvy enough to DIY in that respect, innit?

4. David Nash Silver badge

"insist that you receive one which won't do this. In writing if needs be"

If you were a retailer would you agree to this? I don't think so. Especially as these devices can be updated after the event.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you were a retailer would you agree to this?

depends on how the market goes. If it started costing me custom ...

And then the retailers can put pressure on the manufacturers.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Honestly, what planet do people live on suggesting stuff like this.

Yeh - that's what Joe Blow will do when he goes to PC World to buy a telly. "Hey Mr-on-18-grand a year, make me up a nice document that promises I won't see this stuff so I can return it to you if I do".. Can't do it? Get the Store Manager or Head of Legal out here to sort it for me. Yup, that'll happen!

That 600 quid you think is a lot of money is NOTHING to these multi-million/billion stores/manufacturers. They'd sooner see you walk out the door looking daft and just sell it to someone else. The shop floor staff won't think you're a savvy consumer - just a bell end.

The only way to sort this is to buy from another manufacturer.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spamsung

3. Little Mouse
    Headmaster

Samsung: "We would *like* to apologise..."

Technically speaking, is that actually an apology?

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Fantastic...

Samsung were already on my 'Sony' list of firms who will never directly receive my money, but I must give them grudging respect for finding such a clever way to stay there.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: on my 'Sony' list

Brilliant.

I'll be reusing that one. Have an upvote !

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guy at work had a DVD player that no longer supported this type of stuff and Amazon sent him a voucher for a new one.

Give a Samsung TV a year or two and it will be failing to connect to the web anyway - as mine has decided to do over the last few weeks. Took a full "secret-menu-back-to-factory-reset" to get it to admit it was hooked up to the interweb again.

6. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Chancers

One might suspect that Samsung keep trying these tricks just to see if they can get away with them, and just shrug off the complaints and the bad publicity they create, knowing most buyers won't know of the "bug" when they purchase and will think it's as it's meant to be and never complain.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Chancers

According to several reviews I read, Panasonic blu-ray players stream ads to you while you're browsing their on-screen displays.

I crossed them off my shortlist for that reason alone.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yeah mine does that

hrmmm,...mine (in Aus) has also started displaying notifications about some free game. No more samsung for me.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

Manufacturers : Repeat After Me

A TV has one use, and one use only : to show images. That is all it should ever do.

Where those images come from is free to think of, and putting various kinds of ports solves the problem. Put an Ethernet port in your effing TVs and leave the "smart" to an add-on box people can buy (or not).

But the TV itself ?

Just an image viewer. THAT IS ALL.

1. Rusty 1

Re: Manufacturers : Repeat After Me

No sound?

Sir, do you require mankind to regress back to the era of "silent" movies? I for one don't have the space or catering supplies for an orchestra in my gaff. And I'll be jiggered if the subtleties of anything more cerebral than The Benny Hill Show can be conveyed by sound. How about those episodes of Pingu I have queued up? With lip sync please.

Other than that, I entirely agree that the visual device should be as dumb as possible. A couple of DisplayPort connectors and everyone should be happy.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone else seeing a disturbing trend here?

In the last 6 months stores in my region have actively removed Basic / Economic models and replaced them exlusively with overpriced Smart TV 's. Internet ordering on large appliances isn't very evolved here, so stores are our only viable option.

Overall, this move fits with Samsung / LG statements that by 2016 every TV they make and sell will be Smart only... But this is pretty disturbing, in light of all other news about the slurping habits of IOT, Smartphones & Win10 etc... Just wondering if others are seeing this same trend in their area?

10. Brew

Happening In USA Also

I'm in the USA and have seen it 2-3 times over the past couple of weeks. Looked very closely through the menu to see if it could be turned off, nothing obvious, tried switching one item with terms that were so obtuse you'd need a marketing dictionary to figure out what they were talking about, hasn't appeared since. Seems like there used to be a more commonly worded opt out in previous revs.

1. Brew

Re: Happening In USA Also

To be more precise- In the menu there is Smart Hub>Apps Settings>(An icon of a gear with no name)>Samsung SyncPlus>Off. I have no idea if turning it off has stopped the ads, haven't watched enough since then.

In the menu Samsung defines SyncPlus as, "SyncPlus is the advertising and additional contents related to TV program using content-based video recognition."

And i know that I've already opted out of eveything that I could in the menu before, including such notices. Shouldn't opt outs remain when a new rev is installed??

When is this all going to end??!!

11. I Like Heckling Silver badge

Same thing here

Had some notification that kept popping up to tell me about some game... No way to turn of these notifications.

I had to dig into the menu and delete all notifications that were stored, only for it to keep popping up every hour... even though there were no notifications listed.

I don't use the 'smart' side of my TV anyway, but it is connected to my home network and media server via wireless so I can stream music, movies and tv shows that I have stored on it.

Bad move Samsung... I have been a fan of your TV for many years, and have owned many Samsung DVD and now BD players. I currently own 3 Samsung TV's and 2 of them are now 7 & 8 yrs old with the other being less than 1yr old. I liked the anynet feature that allowed me to control multiple devices with a single remote

But given recent activities by your company regarding things like this... When I replace those 2 TV's.... I shall be looking elsewhere I think.

1. ben kendim

Re: Same thing here

Firewall it at your router so it can't call home... c

12. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

why not invest in a 3 chip DLP front-projection setup?

light output, refresh rates and the cost of replacement lamps.

13. John H Woods Silver badge

front projection

Agreed --- Most 'home cinema' is just 'big telly' - but with a small amount of effort you can get a projector to give a truly gorgeous image of any size you like. You don't even need to have a home cinema room. When our projector is off, it just looks like we have a modest 23" IPS monitor to display one of the inputs (SKY / Pi / PS3 / Wii). The projector only dominates the room when it is on - which is when you want it to.

You don't even need an expensive projector - I got this 720p SONY 3LCD one off ebay for a hundred quid. OK it's not as good as my sons' Full HD / 3D Optoma, but it produces a great picture (and warms the room in winter)

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: front projection

I got this 720p SONY 3LCD one off ebay for a hundred quid.

LCD projectors give nice images when new, but the panels have lifespans of the order of (usually) no more than 5,000 hours, and the colour filters sometimes go sooner. Whether 5,000 hours is a problem for you depends on how much TV you watch, and at £100 you probably won't complain if it only lasts a couple more years.

One of the first things I had to tell my current employers when I started was that the projectors they'd spent £15,000 a piece on just three years before were uneconomical to repair; £5,000 for a new "optical block" (and that was without considering the dead PSUs, dying fans etc.) instead bought us some gorgeous DLP projectors that were brighter (about 6,000 lumen against 3,500 lumen), cheaper to run (lamps cost the same but lasted twice as long), more resilient (two lamps means that if one pops early the thing will carry on with one), more manageable (net connected, talk PJLink, can send emails for certain triggers) and have so far done 20,000 hours without a problem apart from one unit that has a small block of dead pixels.

On top of that I can operate them in "low power" mode because even then they are still brigher than the originals, it makes the lamps last three times as long as the original projectors and it gives even more resilience because if a lamp fails I can put the other up to full power and (partly) compensate.

Sorry, didn't mean to write all of that. Projectors are part of my daily life and I've seen too many people caught out by LCD units. Yes, single-chip DLP units can suffer the "rainbow effect" but apart from that they are in nearly every way "better" than LCD.

But my specific ones cost a lot more than £100!

M.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

14. jonfr

Profit and the stock market

The problem here is the stock market and the endless demand for increased profit. So the companies (that are under the control of the share holders) start injecting ads into everything they make in order to increase profit. They also obsolete there hardware at faster rate now than few years ago (10 - 20 years ).

15. veti Silver badge

Did anyone *not* see this coming?

Ads? On TV? Whatever next?

After the experience of smartphones, I can't help but wonder about anyone who's been taken by surprise by this.

16. dan1980

It's always an 'error' or a 'misunderstanding' and always just happening for 'some' customers.

The translation, as always, is that they are trialling something they want to implement.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spam-sung

Fortunately my 22LE TV is one of the early ones which does not support this "feature". remove 5s to message

I actually held off on buying a smart TV because of this exact reason and also concerns over security as the software update could be bypassed / spoofed OTA too easily.

One thing which is interesting is that in common with many devices smart TVs and digiboxes can be updated over the air if they are on at a specific time (2am usually) on default channel so it would be trivial to write a malicious phishing/pharming/etc "update" for at least the terrestrial boxes and a little more difficult for the satellite ones.

Mine has flashable firmware but due to a manufacturing fault the internal tunerhead is b0rked so its pretty hard to get it pwned apart from just plugging a USB into it.

i can be contacted on +44 757581 5453175058 as this is a pretty serious vuln and hasn't been exploited yet TTBOMK but exploit code for at least the most common decoder chipsets is easy enough.

1. Vic

Re: Spam-sung

One thing which is interesting is that in common with many devices smart TVs and digiboxes can be updated over the air if they are on at a specific time (2am usually) on default channel so it would be trivial to write a malicious phishing/pharming/etc "update" for at least the terrestrial boxes and a little more difficult for the satellite ones.

That's not true on any of the kit I've worked on - and I would be amazed if it's true at all. OTS updates are cryptographically signed, so to fake an app, you need the private key of the service supplier.

I've had stuff signed by Sky - it's not that easy when they already know you and are expecting a code drop. Trying to get a malicious app signed would be as close to impossible as makes no difference.

Vic.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE. Re. Spam-sung

Possible, I've seen the outcome of a failed update (read-byebye channels) and had to manually reset everything.

Fortunately the affected TV was working enough to at least access the manual retune facility but a single channel worked (ironically Channel 5!) and the rest "no/weak digital signal available"

This was on a quite old Toshiba 32".

On at least some TVs the 8 pin 25X1024 firmware chip is socketed so worst case is having to pay the £10+ to restore it to health.

My Grundig has OTA enabled and this is essentially a cut down Freesat box which simply refuses to display Sky channels but works fine with BBC/ITV/etc.

It did occur to me to try and dump its firmware before/after an update and see which bits change as this might yield useful repair tips if a malicious update ever does worm its way in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like