back to article Japanese military shamed by USB device

Like ball point pens, cigarette lighters, and the occasional key, flash memory devices have a nearly unstoppable need to be set free upon the world at large. The result of this seemingly natural law is generally little more than irksome at home, but when combined with the cosmic force of sensitive data misplacement that is a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul McClure

Oops

People are supposed to protect the items they are tasked. But this is a peace time training exercise. Who cares. Train to your hearts content.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Squadies are Squadies

A good rollicking won't go amiss but that should be extended from the individuals concerned to immediate line managers and team managers whom have responsibility in these matters.

3. James Butler
    Coat

Hold on a minute ...

I thought this sort of thing was reserved for UK bureaucrats?

It's the one with the hole in the pocket ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Really? Who could make such a trivial mistake?

Maybe the "Maritime Self-Defense FOrce" could learn a thing or two about rereading why they'd just typed...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Living it up on the costas...

2000 yen in cash, so erm, £9.45 (less commission)

10,000 yen airline coupon, £47.27

Livin' la vida loca..

6. Sam Kirkpatrick
    Boffin

Every single time!

Why is it that every...single...time some pedant goes to the effort of pointing out a spelling/grammar mistake in someone else's work they include some equally noteworthy mistake!!

I give you: "...thing or two about rereading why they'd just typed..."

Surely, AC, you mean "WHAT they'd just typed"! Unless you did mean "why" (and I apologise if you did) in which case the answer is obviously that it's their job.

On point, I blame the cleaner. I keep telling them in here not to touch the stuff on my desk!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Encryption?

Use decent encryption and all you've lost is a £10/$10 flash drive, no information to worry about.

AC, naturally

8. Derek Brabrook

in my day

losing ANYTHING of a sensitive nature was considered reckless to the extreme and you would find yourself in the pokey for a few weeks minimum, mind you these days the British Army (I know this is the Japanese Army in question) has the card system..... a bit like football matches with a red card meaning "you're a really really naughty boy".... God you can't cough these days without infringing somebodies human rights, what happened to a good old fashioned beating ? (you didn't do it twice!!!)

9. Adrian Jackson

@Sam Kirkpatrick

Some equally noteworthy mistake like ending a question with two exclamation marks instead of a question mark? That sort of mistaek?

10. Test Man
    Stop

@Adrian Jackson

Or misspelling mistake as "mistaek"?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@"Who could make such a simple mistake"

Its called being human ... trivial mistakes are far more likely than huge whooping errors. That's the nature of the beast.

Personally I am tired of these right wing little hitlers that think a good smack "upside the head" will sort these people out once and for all. What utter cod shit, this approach has NEVER worked, has never been seen to work and just produces more fuck ups further down the line. The continued criminalisation for the crime of "being human" is starting to get on my wick.

NLRA - Rapid Response Force

12. David Dawson

Pedants all

"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

(Thanks Churchill, you tell 'em)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Test Man

Or fialing to see irony?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

Where's the Japanese School Girl angle?

Oh I know! The captain stole the money so he could take a High School girl to disney land Japan. Classey, must of been the 10,000yen "Onichan" option.

15. Edward Rose

Confused...

So, the Captain steals classified military data, cash, and a flight coupon (potentially - cash). All he gets is a short suspension? What? That is theft, and from a Captain a boot up the rear end whilst he is pointing towards the door is the only answer.

Would you trust a thieving little git with other's lives? I wouldn't.

And, incase I didn't mangae one earlier....

16. Mister Cheese
    Coat

@Adrian Jackson

Shurley you mean 'Mis-spelling' ?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

SP?

TBH im getting a lil' tired of all the smelling pistakes on these articles anyawy....

18. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: SP?

Why don't you home over cere and tay shat?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@in my day

"what happened to a good old fashioned beating ?"

I think its because punishments cause soldiers to die and then the people giving the punishment are up on a manslaughter charge ... and quite right too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/5149196.stm

20. Sam Kirkpatrick
    Happy

@Andrew Jackson

I bet you had to look for ages just to catch me out with something! But, yeah, that kind of mistake. Although I had to emphasise my incredulity somehow. You missed the ellipses in the middle of a sentence, though - surely that has to be wrong.

I seem to have take the thread off-track somewhat. Funny how that usually happens when the Grammar Pedants (TM) arrive.

21. Robert Harrison

It looks to me like

This comment thread has had one too many during the liquid lunch hour *hic*

22. Sam

re; Sarah

Thatt ecksplaynes it.

Oh, and Tony's dropped another one, see if you can find it.

23. Tim Elphick
    Paris Hilton

Spelling Mistaeks

Tihs is getting silly now.

Paris. It's my first time!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Sam Kirkpatrick #2

Shouldn't that be "I seem to have taken...." ?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stocks

Why the hell is he not serving 20 years in the stockade ?? You would think they would strip him of his rank, give him a dishonorable discharge and toss him in a hole for the next 20 years. I guess Japan does not take their military that seriously .

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Mister Cheese

Is that Aaron's dotter?

27. Sam

Oi

"This comment thread has had one too many during the liquid lunch hour *hic*"

Carry me outside and say that again....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like