back to article Cop shops mock cop for cop stop flop: He'll cop it for copping it up - top cop

A man pulling over drivers while pretending to be a cop has been charged after being rumbled by one of his targets, who was himself an off-duty cop. Authorities in northeast Ohio said a man impersonating a police officer was caught and charged this week. Howard Maldonado, 42, faces a charge of impersonating a police officer, …

1. John Tappin
    Joke

well cop that for a headline

wow

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: well cop that for a headline

Wow indeed!

Should be an award for that one.

The headline was also longer than the story...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It broke my brain.

2. TitterYeNot
      Coat

Yes, but did the top cop who shopped the mock cop get mocked by his fellow cops for being a bit of a flop and getting stopped, or was he told to pull his socks up or he'd be in for a shock?

And after the mock cop was caught on the hop, locked up and put in the dock did he feel a right cock, or was he just a cocky young jock who was in hock and will end up breaking rocks?

Tick tock, inquiring minds need to know...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Is it just me or does this seem typical of the intellectual level of American policemen:

"I don't understand why he had red and blue lights (on his vehicle)," said Flanigan

Well, if he's pretending to be a policeman wouldn't the lights be helpful?

2. ratfox

Nice business

1. Stop random cars

2. Ask if they have money

3. Confiscate the money under civil asset forfeiture laws

4. Profit

It would be funnier if some actual cops were not already doing that.

1. Mark 85

Re: Nice business

Or maybe he's doing what some fake cops did about 20 years ago in Ohio ? The fake cop would pull over cars looking for sweet, young things to have his way with in exchange for not giving them a ticket. He just wasn't paying attention to whom he pulled over this time.

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Nice business

You mean what one real cop was doing within the last dozen years in the Washington, DC, area?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prole on a roll, soon cuffed and in gaol?

Police won't release man in one piece. Never goad a cop on the road.

I can do this all day long if needed.

4. NanoMeter

Love the headline

Deep within many men's heart, lies a desire to become a police officer since playing with toy police cars in the childhood.

5. Trollslayer

Plus hobby cops

I a number of states you can do a short course, buy your own car and mark it up then go round fining people and even arrest for misdemeanour's with no supervision.

The victims have no way to appeal this stuff either.

1. kain preacher

Re: Plus hobby cops

Some many thin gs wrong with that statement . You need to be finger printer and back ground down by the DOJ, The DOJ also has to certified the police force. If the DOj decided to de cert LAPD there would be no more LAPD. All police force.; in the US has to bow down to the DOJ. You can't call yourself a police officer if the dept is not certified, even if the dpt is just one man.

6. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Who read that bit....

....The Star-Beacon.

as

The Star-Bacon.

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Who read that bit....

...just you, then.

7. Martin Summers Silver badge

""I don't understand why he had red and blue lights (on his vehicle)," said Flanigan."

Trying to trick you into pulling over might just have something to do with it?

8. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

As a pedal cyclist, I have been wondering whether having a woo-woo police-type siren on the bike to startle drivers who illegally overtake me passing a pedestrian crossing point, would be legal.

Also I try to tell a driver if they have a brake or tail light not working, but that's just being friendly and helpful. But being dressed black and fluorescent, some of them think I must be a copper.

9. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Go

This is *SO* the El Reg editorial desk:

http://www.gocomics.com/bloomcounty/1983/01/18

10. JJKing
    Happy

Is seems Theodor Geisel is alive, well and work at The Reg.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like