back to article Hacklands introducing geeks to something called 'outdoors'

A new take on a hackathon is being tried by the team behind more traditional geek gatherings such as Swedish Beers and Heroes of the Mobile Fringe. They are going to do it outdoors. Yes, outside. In fresh air. Hacklands combines key elements from hackathons (where software and hardware developers get together to make stuff …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

" all 210 works of Chopin ..t. More mainstream is music from DJ Oisin Lunny"

It depends on your idea of mainstream. The works of Chopin have been around for getting on for 200 years. The works of Oisin Lunny or any other DJ?

2. silent_count

I'll give you 'Outdoors'!

Look! I don't make you out-doorsy types learn the x86 instruction set and how v-tables are used to implement multiple inheritance so don't try to shove your sunlight and fresh air shite down my throat. God'dit?

Ok. Truth be told, I do enjoy bush walking and learning the finer points of photography from the girlfriend along the way, but it's the principle of the matter, dag nabbit! I feel a strange solidarity with my vitamin D adverse brothers and sisters.

1. Charles Manning

Re: I'll give you 'Outdoors'!

Yup

I tend to agree. More than half the point of going into the outdoors is to leave the tech tat behind. Have a breath of fresh air, if you will.

Otherwise you might as well just put a pot plant on your desk.

3. Steve Todd

Not a new idea

There's this for example https://www.emfcamp.org

4. DropBear

In respectable Brent Sienna tradition - outdoors, to thee I have only this to say: HSSSSSSSSSSSS!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"the best bits of all of those events"

The best bit of any outdoor event is going home afterwards to clean toilets, hot water, fixed line Internet and electricity.

I'll get me coat. I'll probably need it at an outdoor event.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: "the best bits of all of those events"

I was thinking about this bit:

"“We create our future through the technology we develop but we don't give enough time to thinking properly about that future. Hacklands is an opportunity to experiment with technology and creativity and relax with fellow future gazers.”"

All that outdoors - presumably with mains leccy.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Coat

More important

Why is there a girl in that picture next to proto-Zuckerberg?

7. Martin Summers Silver badge

Hmm, could prove to be too 'in tents' for some geeks.

Sorry.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Happy

Beat me to it.

I was going to say my coding sessions are always intense.

8. Buzzword

eCows? eCows?

I've seen ordinary cows on the rare occasions when I've ventured outdoors, but what are these new-fangled eCows? (I can only presume that Apple has already trademarked iCows.)

1. Thecowking

Re: eCows? eCows?

They probably have super cow powers.

1. AbelSoul
        Coat

Re: super cow powers.

Imoone to biological weapons?

Udderly indestructible?

1. breakfast Silver badge
          Coat

Sounds like you're describing that most terrifying of weapons, what the scots refer to as a "military coo."

Lucky we're all getting our coats ahead of this camping trip.

1. Mark 85

That would be this then: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMbXvn2RNI ????

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Funny thing is...

...I am about to live full time in a mobile home. As soon as I get the new array of 3G antenna built here then I'm off full time.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting stereotype you people have. I think you'll find that geeks are more prone to camping than the general populous.

1. Thecowking

Two of my team are away this week, one's hiking in the Alps and the other is saling in Poland, but you don't see me coming here with my facts and so on to spoil a perfectly good stereotype. Do you? No.

On that note, I hope they have a good pizza place nearby.

11. Simon Rockman
  12. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    WTF?

outdoors?

theres a world beyond programming stuff? naw I dont believe it.

Next he'll be saying the proper colour for the sky at night is black with small bright lights, not the usual orange glow.

13. graeme leggett Silver badge

Opening

For someone to come up with a load of puns on computer terms using flora and fauna.

I'm working on something to do with campfires and foxes....

14. John Styles

Doesn't the 'demoscene' often have camping events?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon