back to article Nearby exoplanets circle naked-eye-visible star

Just a couple of weeks after NASA announced the “Earth twin” (that might not be), astronomers working at the Italian-operated HARPS-N spectrograph have turned up four exoplanets just 21 light-years distant. Even better, for those who like picking out stars but lack access to the Telescopio Nazionale Galileo at the Roque de los …

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Visible

On a clear night I have been known to gaze wistfully at Cassiopeia. I don't recall seeing the detail on the accompanying picture though.

I suspect "visible to the naked eye" only applies to those unembuggered by light pollution.

1. AbelSoul

Re: unembuggered by light pollution.

Indeed. I was fortunate enough to receive a telescope as a gift recently but my city-centre location means I usually only get to see Jupiter, Venus and latterly Saturn.

Beautiful though they are, it'd be nice to have a chance to view the skies minus the local street lights.

I've been meaning to take a late-night, weekend drive to somewhere darker but the Scottish, aherm, "summer" cloud and non-stop pishing rain have so far put paid to that plan.

1. Christoph

Re: unembuggered by light pollution.

I looked up into the London sky and saw a star through all the light pollution. A few of us checked a few astronomy references to try and identify it, and we're reasonably confident that it was Sol.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Visible

"I suspect "visible to the naked eye" only applies to those unembuggered by light pollution."

I know; will somebody please turn off the fucking moon.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect "visible to the naked eye" only applies to those unembuggered by light pollution.

Don't worry, the progressive roll out of LED streetlighting is slowly improving things for everybody other than the denizens of city centres (who deserve what they get).

From a tech perspective, it's notable that the luminous efficiency of long-life LEDs is actually no better than the gas discharge lamps they replace (at around 100 lumens per watt), and so to offer "carbon savings" that are the be all and end all of government's very existence, the LED lamps have had to be designed with much better luminaires (the lamp head). The crummy old low pressure sodium lamps (the dim orange ones) threw about 30-40% of their output upwards with their "candle in a pie dish" design, and it was that, not ground reflected light that created the horrible "fire bombing" light pollution evident over any sizeable urban area. The LED heads have far less light spill (and you get better light quality and longer lamp life). In some areas "dimming and trimming" that works best with new lighting control gear means if you'll stay up late the night skies are darker still, but there's little public acceptance of that, and (counter intuitively) the financial case for LEDs is compromised if they run for less hours.

1. AbelSoul

Re: denizens of city centres (who deserve what they get).

Seems a bit harsh but I'd be happy to hear why you feel this way.

In some areas "dimming and trimming" that works best with new lighting control gear means if you'll stay up late the night skies are darker still, but there's little public acceptance of that, and (counter intuitively) the financial case for LEDs is compromised if they run for less hours.

The idea of a post-midnight switch off was briefly floated here before being roundly shouted down as irresponsible and dangerous by the local think-of-the-children brigade, so I don't hold out much hope for them accepting dimming either.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

> The idea of a post-midnight switch off

Over on this side of the pond, they've just hacked down the light poles altogether, as it's a multiple whammy of saving electricity, pole/light maintenance costs, and anti-light-pollution.

So drivers have compensated by turning on their high-beams all the time, because we have tons of idiot forest rats deer randomly standing in the road. Sigh.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

"The idea of a post-midnight switch off was briefly floated here before being roundly shouted down as irresponsible and dangerous by the local think-of-the-children brigade" -- AbelSoul

What? Which members of this brigade let their children out after midnight? Here in rural Warks, our lights go off at 00:00 (01:00 on Sat and Sun) and it's marvellous. In fact, the only downside is that I didn't know they were going to do it: first night it happened I went out with the dogs, stumbled over the lead of the electric lawnmower that I had, ahem, left out and, almost as I did so, all the lights in the village went out. Took me a second or two to work out what had happened ...

2. cray74

Thank you

"From a tech perspective, it's notable that the luminous efficiency of long-life LEDs is actually no better than the gas discharge lamps they replace (at around 100 lumens per watt),"

Some coworkers and I were just griping around the water cooler about the factory's plan to replace parking lot lighting with newer LEDs. We were losing good parking spots near the light poles to the lifts and, of course, good parking spots > saving the planet.

The odd thing was that the lights had gone through an upgrade from sodium vapor to LEDs a few years ago and we couldn't figure the environmental savings then or now. Sodium vapor gives the best LEDs a run for their money.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Thank you

Sodium vapor gives the best LEDs a run for their money.

In terms of luminous efficiency that's correct now, but you the LED's are getting better, whereas gas discharge lamps are probably maxed out - a bit like CRT versus flat panel displays a few years back. It took about seven years for 100 lm/W LEDs to get from the manufacturers lab to commercial street lighting products, Cree had 300 lm/W in the lab eighteen months ago. Seems probable that by 2022 we could be seeing close to 300 lm/W in products you can buy. In domestic terms that means the equivalent of a 100W incandescent bulb would be consuming 5W, and a standard 60W equivalent a shade over 2.5W.

In terms of the environmental and economic benefits of your car park or street lights, you need to replace a sodium tube every three to four years, whereas the LED should last twenty years (fingers crossed). The main problem is that you can't just stick an LED "tube" in an existing fitting - you need a new luminaire (costing a couple of hundred even for the 20-30W units), and you normally need new control gear within the column (another couple of hundred). For a unit that only used 30W, for perhaps 4,000 hours a year, the economics are a real challenge. But even high performance sodium vapour aren't plug and play replacements - you usually need a new luminaire and sometimes new control gear, albeit the luminaire is often half the price of the LED.

1. Mage Silver badge
          FAIL

Re: Thank you: 20 years?

Poppycock. White LED is Violet LED using a yellow phosphor that wears as fast as coating in CFL etc. Sodium is ghastly but lasts much longer. High pressure mercury vapour? Don't know life.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Thank you: 20 years?@ Mage

Poppycock....Sodium is ghastly but lasts much longer

You may think, but you're wrong. Our large HQ site has had LED streetlighting for about eight years now, so that has already established that the endurance is at least double that of crummy old sodium lamps, and the life expectancy remains on track for the projected twenty years. The makers warranty ten years, and there's no sign that we'll be calling on that, with no failures, or perceptible dimming or colour shift to date. Incidentally, one of our business activities is managing a significant percentage of the streetlights in the UK, so we do tend to keep a very careful eye on the risks and opportunities - with multi-decade PFI contracts we wouldn't be touching LED if we weren't willing to put our money where our mouth is, because if the LEDs don't last, it's us paying for the problem to be fixed most probably outside of the makers warranty.

You can get discharge lamps with (exceptionally) up to 80k life expectancies, but they are more expensive, progressively less efficient so use more power, require expensive control gear and sometimes fail early in inconvenient ways. You'd use them where access is both difficult and expensive, but even then proactive early replacement (eg on high column motorway lighting) can be a better bet than betting on these long life gas discharge lamps.

That's why why for the last fifty years the grimey orange 30W low pressure sodium (LPS) tubes have been used with typical service lives of 16k hours. High pressure sodium (HPS) has always had a better spectrum than the single wavelength of low pressure lamps, but even the old pink HPS units are being supplanted by more efficient lamps with better light quality, lower power use and longer life (Philips Cosmpolis units, for example). But these will still offer (at best) a median life expectancy of 30k hours and that's the expensive "double life" variant (and there's a fairly wide distribution, so 10% of the units will have failed by 22k hours). LED is the way to go - even if you did get some colour shift, it can never get worse than the diabolical monochrome LPS units.

3. Iain Cognito

They switch off our streetlights between certain hours and the proper dark is very welcome indeed.

Note to potential star gazers: That W-shaped constellation (Casio-pier) can be used to locate Andromeda. In a properly dark place you can just about see the dim smudge of light if you know where to look. But what's really impressive is when you find out that the bit you can see is only the central bright part. Then you realize the whole galaxy is just flippin' huge.

4. Tom 7

No point in dimming the street lamps if Facebook fill the skies with internet!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like