back to article Chechen women swindle ISIS via social media: 'We need roubles to join you xx'

Chechen rozzers have reportedly arrested a trio of jihadi-baiting women who flirted with ISIS fighters online before conning them out of money they sent to pay for a non-existent rendezvous in Syria. Terrorists pledging allegiance to the self-declared caliphate – almost as contentious in name as deed – have made a concerted …

1. Thorne

Why arrest them?

The scammers are actually doing some good for once.

1. P. Lee
      Coat

Re: Why arrest them?

Maybe to force scammers to teach the police how to scam properly, without resorting to violence?

=====> Pickpocket

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So basically you're saying it's OK to scam people or groups you don't like. They weren't doing good, they were committing a crime, the target is irrelevant. It's only a short step away from this to claiming Peter Sutcliffe was doing some good.

1. LucreLout

@ChrisW

It's only a short step away from this to claiming Peter Sutcliffe was doing some good

That's actually a pretty bloody big step right there. Sutcliffe tortured, raped, and murdered people. These women just stole some money from people who torture, rape, and murder people.

1. theModge

Piracy \ Privateering could be a historical precedent for this

The British were more than willing for anyone who could rob the Spanish to get out to sea and do so ASAP, so long as they promised not to attack our vessels. A similar principle could apply.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Chechens are fighting very hard to AVOID being Russian.

1. Irony Deficient

Re: Piracy / Privateering could be a historical precedent for this

theModge, privateers required a letter of marque — a government license — to plunder Spanish galleons. Without one, they’d have been guilty of piracy under English law, despite not touching British ships.

2. FredBloggs61

Re: Piracy \ Privateering could be a historical precedent for this

Go back far enough and there is probably a precedent for most things.

As we all seem to have descended from Africa, or at least our ancestors interbred with Africans, who you going to blame now?

How far back do we go with the blame game?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@LucreLout

As far as I recall Sutcliffe didn't rape nor torture people he killed prostitutes, or at least in the beginning those he thought to be. The analogy which seems to have flown over your head is the apparent justification of one criminal (sutcliffe, these women) committing a criminal act against another (prostitutes, ISIS).

1. 9Rune5

@Chris W

Prostitutes, in all civilized countries, are not defined as 'criminals' though.

And even in countries where they are labeled as criminals, I suspect most people draw a line between criminals who rape&kill and the criminals who were caught in a speed trap going 85 kph in a 70 kph zone. People tend to be funny that way.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@9Rune5

Pure semantics. What you consider criminal behaviour and what is law are two different things, get over it.

1. Vic

What you consider criminal behaviour and what is law are two different things, get over it.

Well, at least in the UK, there is no law against prostitution. None. It's not an offence.

So what he considers "criminal behaviour" aligns exactly with the Law of the Land.

Your jurisdiction might differ, particularly if you are in the Land of the Free.

Vic.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

As far as I recall Sutcliffe didn't rape nor torture people he killed prostitutes, or at least in the beginning those he thought to be.

The OP is probably confusing Peter Sutcliffe (The Yorkshire Ripper) with Ian Brady (The Moors Murderer).

Either way, the leap of logic required to equate a series of brutal attacks on women with a hammer and knife to defrauding a group of the words vilest murdering terrorists is pretty big.

The only problems I could foresee the police having with this activity are:

- Any contact with a terrorist organisation should always be investigated as a matter of course, no matter how innocuous it seems.

- The women profited from this, so arguably are receiving the proceeds of crime. They probably should not be officially allowed to keep the money

- Their activity was unsanctioned.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that various international covert agencies (CIA, MI6, FSB, Mossad, etc.) were doing the same thing, but in a sanctioned and 'officially' controlled way.

1. The First Dave

Unfortunately, I _would_ be surprised to hear that the CIA etc was doing this sort of thing.

Earlier today I read on the BBC that this bunch of ****** get paid $40m a day for the oil that they sell - in which case whoever is buying this oil has a LOT of explaining to do.

1. Mpeler
                  Black Helicopters

"whoever is buying this oil has a LOT of explaining to do."

Sounds like a, erm, Shell game to me...

3. LucreLout

@ChrisW

As far as I recall Sutcliffe didn't rape nor torture people he killed prostitutes

Oh, ok, that's all right then. ???!!!!

One is an offence of honesty involving trivial sums of money from wholly repellent and amoral people and their dark ages death cult. The other, by your own words, murdered mostly peaceful women who were just trying to make some money.

That this flies over your head can only prov.... oh... wait... The schools are out, right? Sorry everyone - I've done it again. Every sodding year.

Ok, look Chris, when you grow up, you'll realise that the world isn't perfect. You may have moral issues with women selling their bodies, but that doesn't make it ok to kill them. No, really, it doesn't. Grand Theft Auto is Play Station not play book.

1. GrumpenKraut

> You may have moral issues with women selling their bodies, ...

should have been

> You may have issues with women, ...

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@ LucreLout

Aren't you clever with your snide churlish remarks. I'm deeply upset, or maybe not.

Anyway back on topic. Where did I say I have issues with anybody selling their bodies? Take your time and look closely I'm sure you´ll be busy for quite a while because it isn't there. However displeasant you find any particular group does not make it open season for criminal activity towards them. If you condone these women then you are condoning any illegal act by one criminal towards another (the Krays would have loved you) and are well on the way to being a rabid DM style vigilante.

2. Graham Marsden
          WTF?

@Chris W - Re: Why arrest them?

> It's only a short step away from this to claiming Peter Sutcliffe was doing some good.

Is this some new form of Godwin?

3. small and stupid

No, its Ok to scam people or groups who are murderous scumbags who want to destroy us all.

Anyway, surely in order to be prosecuted the 'victims' have to turn up to press charges.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Soooo - anyone, who in my judgement is a murderous scumbag, is fair game to be scammed and I should not be prosecuted but encouraged. Let's see, that could be a really good list:

Daesh (or IS/ISIS/ISIL whatever they are called this week)

Putin and Russian Oligarchs

Organised Criminal groups - e.g. the Mafia

CIA

MI6

US Marine Corps

the Paras

Sri Lankan military

Armed Forces in general

US Police forces

Police in general

abattoirs and butchers

pharmaceutical companies

manufactures of chemicals

that old lady who gave me the evil eye...

Scamming most of these will be dangerous - so, I will stick to companies and old ladies.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: So basically you're saying it's OK to scam people or groups you don't like

So it's OK to shoot them but not OK to scam them out of money???

Get your head out of your arse.

5. YARR

I wish I could downvote all the downvoters here. If someone else is a criminal that doesn't justify you also becoming one. These women chose to break the law (assuming scamming is illegal in Chechnya), so the consequences should be applied fairly to them as they would to anyone else. If you permit some lawbreakers to escape prosecution, you encourage them to take the law into their own hands. If we all did that a crime wave would spiral out of control. Law enforcement exists to maintain order and prevent this happening, it does not serve to enforce one particular moral viewpoint.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@YARR have an upvote. It's probably going to be a lonely one.

Sounds like most commentards here would approve of having open plan prisons and just let them beat the hell out of each other.

2. ShadowDragon8685

One-size-fits-all law enforcement is as silly as one-size-fits-all sex toys.

Scamming near-as-objectively-evil-as-can-be-found-on-this-Earth terrorists out of cash may violate the letter of the law, but frankly it's absolutely heroic, and ought to be treated as such.

Even if those women did profit off it, they stole from people who are objectively horrile, and $3,300 almost certainly buys a hell of a lot of 7.62 Soviet in the middle east. They have, in a slight but meaningful way, impaired ISIS's warmaking ability, and in doing so have made themselves targets of interest for ISIS. I see nothing wrong with allowing them to keep the proceeds of their time and risk.

6. ShadowDragon8685

Or you could say that these heroic, if somewhat mercenary, Chechen women were using clever social engineering to deprive a terrorist organization of their funding.

2. auburnman

Because if someone is entering into a relationship with a terrorist organisation and is observed making overtures towards joining or aiding that organisation, they should be picked up. If the police let off everyone who turned around and said "oh but I didn't mean it" they'd be a laughing stock. Ironically these women may need to admit they were trying a con job to avoid much more serious charges.

3. Mark 85

Since everyone knows that one way to hurt the daesh is financially, I'm surprised these women didn't get a medal.. Not like they dropped a bomb or beheaded someone.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For their own safety. Them ISIS guys are probably really pissed off now.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

For their own safety. Them ISIS guys are probably really pissed off now.

Letting the women disappear with the money would have kept them safe. Arresting them tells ISIS exactly who they are and where to find them. The women are probably wishing they hadn't messed with terrorists now.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Scammers who do good

"The scammers are actually doing some good for once."

A group of scammers doing much good are the Scam Baiters by wasting the time, attention and resources (including money) of scammers who target innocent victims.

2. jake Silver badge

SHIT!

Why didn't Capital Hill think of that? Soak 'em out of money with the promise of virgins here on Earth! Gawd/ess knows there are any number of proliferate self portrait "sharers" out there. A little mild gimp manipulation to hide the (maybe not so) innocent, and Bob's your Uncle :-)

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

So, if some scammers can find some scum on social media, why can't our/the USA security services do the same and send a Tornado to the appropriate IP address's physical location?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Proxies.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Internet cafe, public library, hospital wi-fi?, Hey but what the hell, they're all probably the same colour anyway so what's wrong with a bit of collateral damage?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't seem sensible ...

Trying to con ISIS out of money has surely got to be the quickest way to qualify for a Darwin award since the first Greek Warrior stood on a mountain top in a thunderstorm, raised his spear to the heavens and shouted "ALL GODS ARE BASTARDS".

1. Mpeler
      Coat

Re: Doesn't seem sensible ...

"since the first Greek Warrior stood on a mountain top in a thunderstorm, raised his spear to the heavens"

Shortly after that he yelled "CHARGE"...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, yeah

But where are the lovely ladies?

Anyone got their names?

1. GrumpenKraut

Re: Yeah, yeah

> Anyone got their names?

Your inbox?

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. skeptical i
    Devil

I am reminded of the time ...

I came home to find that the dog had turned the feather pillows into a roomful of "snow": on one hand I needed to be the Stern Parent and provide negative consequences for getting into things, but OTOH I was laughing too hard to be convincing. "Bad dog! *giggle* Don't EVER do that again! *snort* Bad dog!" -- yeah, right. I imagine the cops tasked with cuffing and jailing these criminals (or "criminals") also had to choke back laughter while sternly reading the charges.

8. Allan George Dyer

A cunning plan...

To: Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, ISIS

Subject: Restoration of Proceeds of Fraud

Your Excellency, following the regrettable incident of criminal elements in Chechnya defrauding members of your esteemed organisation of "travel fees", I am pleased to report that we have arrested the perpetrators and will be arranging restoration of the funds as soon as possible.

However, to proceed with the case, we do need to take statements in person from the victims and verify their standing in your organisation. Please can you assist in contacting the victims and providing documentation of their atrocities and beheadings glorious work in your organisation, and ask them to report, in person, to any Chechen Police Station to make their statements.

We will, of course afford them every hospitality they deserve, and, in addition to the restoration of the fraudulent funds, refund their incidental and travel expenses if they are ever released when they leave.

Yours sincerely,

Chief of Police

P.S. - Please note, we have a relaxed dress policy at our Police Stations, weapons should be checked with the desk sergeant and suicide vests must not be worn.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like