back to article Q2 wins drag Cray back into profit territory

Cray Computer's commanding footprint in the high-performance computing (HPC) market has pitched the venerable vendor back into profitability. In its Q2 2015 results announced Thursday, the company reported US$186.2 million in revenue and $5.8 million in profit, both well above what was reported for the same period in 2014, …

1. bazza Silver badge

Nice to See

Nice to see Cray making money.

My worry is that Cray and the other HPC and high performance embedded outfits all depend on companies like IBM, Intel and Fujitsu making stupendously powerful CPUs. If IBM, Intel or Fujitsu decide to stop developing and making them, then where do companies like Cray get their CPUs from? They cannot afford to develop their own, the buyers of these supercomputers cannot afford to pay the development costs either.

I know there's GPUs out there, but they just don't fit every computational problem out there. We will always need a fast CPU.

Given that we all kinda need HPC to carry on (climate modelling, protein folding, etc), what can we do to safeguard that other than to keep buying Power/X64/Sparc based servers with large CPUs in large numbers? I like ARM, etc, but if they came to dominate the server market too (and they're trying, and may succeed), where does that leave the niche guys like Cray and their customers who really need fast single thread performance?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

They don't really depend on very special processors: so long as people keep making reasonably performant desktop-class machines, that's all they need really. For instance, at the place I work (which has recently commissioned a Cray), the Cray's processors are significantly slower per-core than the predecessor machine's: there are just a lot more of them. What makes a super be a super rather than a big cluster of machines (the sort of thing googlebook use for what we now must call 'big data' but is really 'embarrassingly parallel problems') is not the processors, its the interconnect, and that's something that they already engineer themselves (I don't know if they make it, but that doesn't really matter: do Apple make their own machines in any real sense, for instance).

1. bazza Silver badge

It is indeed the interconnect that matters. The interconnect on Fujitsu's K computer is superb, and is wholly responsible for that machine achieving its very high sustained performance.

The problem is that a some important compute loads are not infinitely divisible. And even for those problems that are highly parallel there is a law of diminishing returns. Using smaller and smaller CPUs means that the interconnect has to do that much more to compensate; you've got to get data in and out somehow. Ultimately the computer becomes all interconnect and comparatively little compute. Losing access to cheap high performance CPUs would make the interconnect problem for Cray, etc. a whole lot harder to engineer.

AFAIK the K machine achieved a pretty good balance between interconnect and single thread performance. It's mean/peak performance ratio is pretty close to 1, something you can achieve only if there is adequate interconnect performance for the CPUs used. Fujitsu built the interconnect right into the CPUs, which is expensive but a good way to go. I don't know what Cray do. Looking at the mean/peak ratio for some of the higher up entries in the Top500 list, you'd have to conclude that they have sub-optimal interconnects.

Interconnects themselves are not cheap to develop, and it will all become Ethernet one day anyway. The SerialRapidIO standard can't go anywhere because the market for it is too small to fund the development. Same for Fibre Channel. Speaking purely hypothetically, how long before PCIe becomes too expensive to make it compete with Ethernet? Several lanes of 400Gb/s Ethernet sounds a lot faster than several lanes of PCIe... A 400Gb/s Ethernet switch chip is going to cost a huge sum to bring to market, and so would a comparable PCIe crossbar; can the world afford to do both?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like