back to article NEW, LOVELY, UNTOUCHED - a second EARTH waiting across the stars

Frankly the rest of the quotes this week are a bit overshadowed by the one from NASA saying that "the nearest thing yet" to the discovery of a second known Earth-like habitable world has been made. This week also brought some embarassed philanderers, Amiga celebrated its 30th birthday and we were given a look at the inner …

1. Six_Degrees

"It's an unknown group that doesn't exist any more."

Political moderates?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Apparently dressing well improves the holistic ambiance of a brain struggling with esoteric things like coding. That in turn improves the quality of the software products that it delivers."

People who concentrate on their fashionable sartorial style aren't paying enough attention to their coding.

My most productive coding is when working from home with no distractions like having to get dressed. Skin never feels uncomfortable - it's the best wash&go made to measure outfit.

1. dan1980

"People who concentrate on their fashionable sartorial style aren't paying enough attention to their coding."

How you dress is largely a matter of what you put on before you leave your home, not something you are worrying about while you're at work.

I love a pair of jeans, bare feet and a t-shirt but it is not at all outlandish to say that how a workplace dresses is part of the culture and can flow on to the work they do.

Now, I am not suggesting that any particular person (you for example) will necessarily work better in a suit than a dressing gown but in a large organisation, such as HP is, having people dress professionally while in the office can indeed result in a more consistent and professional output.

Part of that is the - mostly subconscious - differentiation between being at home and being at work. Again, no one is suggesting that this is true for every single person but in an office you can't make different rules for different people in the same department so you have to base things on the best overall outcome.

Now, if creativity is a major part of your job then being forced into a suit is unlikely to result in a better quality of work but this only adds to the point that how you dress can affect how you behave at work and your output.

And not just the quantity and quality of 'work' you do but also how you speak to people - be that in the office or over the phone or meeting a client.

3. 404
    Coat

I've observed this...

'Little is known about "population Y", other than that the remnants of the group were unearthed in the Amazon'

Definitely something wrong with The Amazon's search engine. Being a Prime member, finding certain parts that can be shipped free can be difficult, even if you have the exact part number/manufacturer. Not surprised.

-> who took my coat?

4. Charles Manning

Getting rid of dress codes

Many years ago I worked in a place that tried to have dress codes and the manager was a huge fan. He claimed people wrote better code when they were "professionally" dressed.

Over a week end I wrote the code for two modules at home. One was written wearing a suite and tie. The other, completely naked

I then passed the files around the office for people to compare for "professionalism". It came back 50/50.

5. Numen
    FAIL

Dress codes can be fun!

Many years ago, I worked for a major computer company. The manager at the east coast support center decided his staff (never seen by customers) need to look more professional, and sent a memo declaring that everyone must wear a tie.

And they did.

You never saw so many spiffy headbands, belts, armbands, and so on. Needless to say the policy didn't last very long.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Dress codes can be fun!

I too used to work for a major company (printers, not computers), where the manager was all in favour of all the techs wearing ties. Never mind the fact that we were working on large scale printers, full of moving parts, gear trains etc, all of which could trap a tie and drag the unhappy wearer into the machinery.

One of our guys had his tie get caught in a paper shredder when he reached behind the shredder in order to turn off the power to the printer to repair it. Us other techs laughed hard at the tale when he told it. We laughed even harder once the OHS folks started zeroing in on the dickhead who mandated ties for all techs.

6. dan1980

"The ability to hack a vehicle is not easy. It took the two security researchers, Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek, months to tap into and control certain systems of Miller's SUV. They are experts."

Not quite correct.

The knowledge of how to design a hack for vehicles is not easy. (Well . . . ) However, all that is required for someone to have the ability to actually do it is that they have software to do so. We know that such software gets bought and sold freely and you might have someone selling the details of the vulnerability to someone else who develops the exploit who then sells that to someone else who develops the tools to deploy it.

The vulnerabilities may have been difficult to find and/or difficult to figure out how to exploit, but once that ground-work has been done, it's easy to repeat. In other words, it won't take 2 months to hack each Chrysler; it took 2 months to work out how to hack all Chryslers.

7. Omgwtfbbqtime
    Trollface

Earth first!

we can strip mine the rest of the solar system later, then the exoplanets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like