back to article Bitdefender feeling a bit tender: Hackers enter anti-distemper vendor

One or more miscreants have been able to slurp and leak usernames and passwords from Bitdefender. The unencrypted login details belonged to some of the security biz's small business customers. Bitdefender, which makes antivirus software and other stuff, admitted its system was breached following rumors (here and here) that …

1. Chika
    Coat

Heh

Cloud secure? Heh...

I know I shouldn't say it, but I did tell you!

1. BillG
      Devil

Re: Heh

I've worked with Bitdefender. They aren't what I would call an honest company. Their forum was taken down when people started posting flaws in their antivirus. Also, once you give them your credit card they keep charging it for updates and "enhancements", even if you have opted-out.

2. David Roberts

Honest response?

Should just have said:

"Oh bollocks, that was pretty stupid, wasn't it! Never mind, we've fixed it now and there was no real damage."

3. Captain Badmouth

Fair play..

As their name suggests they've defended a bit of their network.

4. MooJohn

True security is not just keeping the bad guy out but also mitigating what he can do if he does get in. It looks like they had it set up well enough to accomplish that, so it's not a total failure.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"a single application was concerned – a component of the public cloud"

Great news. I hope this will focus companies on the fact that the Cloud is simply not to be trusted for anything that is critical to the business.

The Cloud is like gambling : play with what you can afford to lose.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pathetic behaviour ...

as a user of bitdefenders service I got one of the password reset emails and wondered if any leak had happened. Looking on the reg and elsewhere showed nothing related to it. Thought it may have been them increasing their password security policy etc...

So to then see this article it seems they were trying to play it cool and see if they could get away with it which is shocking. I was already looking to move from them due to some shocking experience with the latest upgrade but this is just another nail in the coffin and if you can't trust your AV supplier then you need a new one.

you would think they would learn about disclosure at one of their own training sessions..........

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was a bit of hassle to say the least having to reset my password, but at least Bitdefender made it easy for me as I was able to re-use the same password I had before I received the forced password reset email.......

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like