back to article Comet 67/P CAKED in LIFE-GIVING RUBBLE, say astroboffins

When the Philae lander failed to touch down cleanly on Comet 67P/Churyumov­-Gerasimenko, the mission looked like a mess. But the probe's four bounces across the comet's surface turn out to have been a blessing in disguise because they've given us more close-ups of 67P than expected. The results have now appeared in a special …

1. Pen-y-gors
    Thumb Up

Thumbs up

...for probably being the only article written in any news publication today that correctly uses the word 'literally';

"we've just about literally only scratched the service of the worldlet on which it rests

It's so nice to read material written by a literate journalist!

1. AbelSoul
      Trollface

Re: Thumbs up

...for probably being the only article written in any news publication today that correctly uses the word 'literally';

"we've just about literally only scratched the service of the worldlet on which it rests

It's so nice to read material written by a literate journalist!

"scratched the service" sounds like an unfortunate, crockery-themed mishap.

Hope it wasn't the good China plates!

2. DropBear
    Trollface

While certainly quaint, "worldlet" seems a bit un-specific. I propose we call 67/P a "dwarf comet"...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scratch and sniff

Hmmmm, smells like...

1. Grikath

Re: Scratch and sniff

Death... for us at least..

" methyl isocyanate, acetone, propionaldehyde and acetamide" plus some of the usual stuff makes for a heady sniff.... of Doooom.

Mind.. I'm still waiting for apologies from some people who laughed in my face in the 90's at the notion that molecular precursors to bio-organics could exist in open space, as indicated by Miller and others....

4. AbelSoul
    Trollface

Re: granules less than 10 cm across

That's still pretty impressive for a granule.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: granules less than 10 cm across

I get granules about that size in my gravy

1. AbelSoul
        Trollface

Re: I get granules about that size in my gravy

Oh aye? Is that what the kids are calling them these days?

5. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

'Finding the compounds listed has boffins excited: they're considered “prebiotics” '

So what we're saying is that comets aren't dirty snowballs -- they're frozen Activia yoghurts.

6. ravenviz Silver badge
    Headmaster

Those yogurts are probiotic, but I like what you did!

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: .

But I never claimed it was frozen Greek yoghurt!

To decode this joke recognise that pre- comes from the Latin for before while pro- happens to be the Greek for, um, before --- specifically, according to my OED, "before in time, place, or order: proactive." Thus I feel the sophistry in my original pun out-smarted your pedantry. :P :P :P

1. Mark 85

Re: .

Well-played, sir.

7. x 7

methyl isocyanate

lets rename it comet Bhopal. Maybe we could get Union Carbide to sponsor a repeat mission?

8. WereWoof

The mission may not have gone entirely as planned, but I am still in awe of what has been achieved.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like