back to article Desperate Microsoft PAYS Win Server 2003 laggards to jump ship

Microsoft is paying customers to dump Windows Server 2003, The Register has learned. The software giant is so desperate for the thousands who missed its July 14 extended support cut-off date to get off the legacy server operating system, it’s decided to start eating the costs. Microsoft is giving away Windows Server 2012 …

1. hplasm
    Devil

Loss leader...

As practiced by supermarkets and drug dealers worldwide

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

Got to stop those Linux/BSD migrations whatever the cost...

Although they might find they can't even give away TIFKAM for free.

1. TheVogon

Re: Got to stop those Linux/BSD migrations whatever the cost...

"Although they might find they can't even give away TIFKAM for free."

Fortunate then that Windows Server doesn't have a GUI unless you choose to add one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Got to stop those Linux/BSD migrations whatever the cost...

Fortunate then that Windows Server doesn't have a GUI unless you choose to add one.

Unfortunate then that some "cowboy coders" think that a server application is a GUI application running on the server's desktop, thus requiring the GUI.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are bricking it as customers will discover that they no longer need overpriced impure street drugs and that there are better lower cost alternatives are out there.

4. Nigel 11

Legal difficulty?

Is there some implicit promise or omitted disclaimer of liability in Windows 2003 licenses? Only explanation I can think of. It's not as if Linux is a rarity in the data-centre.

5. Hans 1
    Pint

Christ, they are giving away Windows, Office 360, and now Windows server for free ... they must be getting desperate.

I needed more popcorn, so I bought a popcorn maker ;-) now I only need more beer!

1. wdmot

I needed more popcorn, so I bought a popcorn maker ;-) now I only need more beer!

So buy a beer maker!

1. Hans 1
        Joke

Seeing my daily intake, I think I would need half a dozen of those to keep up ...

2. TheVogon

"and now Windows server for free"

Errm no. They are giving customers a small amount of benefit back from the stupendously large extended support fees being charged for Server 2003.

Nothing is being given away for free here.

Microsoft are still charging vastly more than the value of any discounts in support fees if you keep Server 2003 after EOL.

6. David Goadby

Pick me, pick me!

I guess my single Win2003 server with 5 CALs doesn't qualify. Even if it did, the cost of the work required to upgrade far exceeds the cost of a PC and fresh licences.

Our server is a business tool. Now virtualised and fully fire-walled, it works perfectly for us so why do we need to change it just because U$oft say so? The answer is less about giving us an "immersive experience (yuk)" and more about needing our money on a subscription basis. They want a direct debit from my bank account.

Who believes that Win10 will be free forever? Take the free upgrade and then, in a year, we will get some form of paid option.

Microsoft just don't get it.

1. Daniel von Asmuth
      Windows

Pickle me, tickle me!

What will Redmond do to convince me upgrading my trusty Windows 2000 to Windows 2016?

7. Your alien overlord - fear me

No, pick me

I've numerous small business clients still on W2003 who won't be moving because of a. cost of new software and b. my bill to move them. If Micro$oft have money to give away it'd certainly help me,er my clients.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No, pick me

I have a couple of small biz customers that I've migrated from WS2K3 to OpenMediaVault.

They didn't need Active Directory, complete overkill, however YMMV.

1. Pookietoo

If all they needed was NAS why were they running a Windows server OS anyway?

1. Peter2 Silver badge

DC?

WSUS?

Databases?

Backups?

Plenty of reasons that even a small business would want a professional setup because of the benefits to be had.

However, once that system is in and working then from the businesses view there is no benefit in switching to a newer system at significant expense if they receive no benefit from doing it.

2. TheVogon

"If all they needed was NAS why were they running a Windows server OS anyway?"

For starters lots of features not available on many other NAS solutions - like SMB 3, compression, dedupe, encryption, tiering, replication, DLP categorisation and selective rights management, active active clustering, etc, etc, etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"For starters lots of features not available on many other NAS solutions - like SMB 3, compression, dedupe, encryption, tiering, replication, DLP categorisation and selective rights management, active active clustering, etc, etc, etc..."

Yeah, like a small biz with a server or two cares (or should care) about most of those things. It's not worth the extra maintenance burden that Windows Server entails compared to a purpose-built NAS appliance, many of which do the more important things (e.g. encryption) anyway.

For bigger orgs with dedicated admins then sure, Windows Server is one of many good options that would suit.

8. x 7

have you got a contact within M$ for this? I can think of a lot of immediate customers

9. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

WHAT?!?

"Microsoft is keen to help pay them [customers] to move. They want shot of it – they are committed to getting Microsoft customers off an unsupported version of Windows. "

But when I installed these Windows 2003 servers in 2003, Microsoft assured me it was the bestest, most reliablest, securest, awesomest Windows that could be had and that none of my children or my children's children would ever get cancer or grow old. Now it's something they "want shot of" ? I've been lied to...plain and simple.

10. nilfs2
    Windows

Where do I get my check?

I just installed Windoze 2003 on my PC, where do I claim my check?

11. CrosscutSaw

legacy

I would love to get Microsoft reps to talk to some of the business units that are hanging on to old systems for dear life, around here. Death grip!

12. regadpellagru

Disturbing, really

"The Reg’s integrator source told us: “Microsoft is keen to help pay them [customers] to move. They want shot of it – they are committed to getting Microsoft customers off an unsupported version of Windows. They don’t want to support it.”"

That is well fully understood. Who would want to support it ? Costs arms and legs ...

However:

- They don't have to. Ever. They stated years ago when they'd stop doing anything on 2003. They just DON'T have to support it. In other words, the ressource burden is something of the past.

- Why on earth, given what is above, would they pay transformation fees ? There has to be, as some other commentards have already stated, some other reason (crap W10, fear of migration to other platforms ?)

MS is totally insecure, here.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsucks owes...

...every Windoze user in the world at least a million dollars in compensation for selling a defective O/S with at least 10,000 known defects at the time it was released for sale, that will cause BSOD, crashes, re-boots, lost data and hours per day of torment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsucks owes...

Which version do you mean?

14. crediblywitless

If Microsoft, or indeed anyone else, could tell me what the appropriate replacement for 'Gateway for NFS' is, I'd be grateful.

1. TheVogon

"If Microsoft, or indeed anyone else, could tell me what the appropriate replacement for 'Gateway for NFS' is, I'd be grateful."

The replacement is to migrate your legacy file systems to a Windows Server (or NAS) which can then provide both NFS and SMB sharing capabilities.

Or you can install Services for Network File System (NFS) on the Windows clients and access your old systems that way.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like