back to article Ubuntu defibrillates 14.10 for one LAST patch

Ubuntu has changed its mind on an end-of-life announcement, giving Version 14.10 one last kernel patch to cover off some big vulns. Usually, end-of-life means what it says: a version isn't going to get any more updates, and that was the status of Ubuntu 14.10 “Utopic Unicorn” (guys, it's time to rethink your naming conventions …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why on earth?

I think that beast in the photo is a Weta. We don't get those 'round 'ere (in the UKoGB&NI), boy.

It's a big bug but I doubt anyone is going to be adding Weta to Heartbleed, Melissa, Lovebug and pals.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why on earth?

Not a bug at all - weta are species of cricket. Shirley that wasn't the point of the utterly irrelevant image? Some halfwit mistaking a giant weta for a "big bug"?

Jesus

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RE: "Not a bug at all - weta are species of cricket."

Wut? Wikipedia, the fount of all knowledge, says a cricket is an insect and an insect in any book I know is a bug, so WTF?

1. nematoad
          Headmaster

"Wut? Wikipedia, the fount of all knowledge, says a cricket is an insect and an insect in any book I know is a bug, so WTF?"

Pedant alert.

All bugs are insects but not all insects are bugs.

From knowyourinsects.org:

Many true bugs, such as stink bugs, have spear-like mouthparts that pierce into a plant so that the insect can suck up the plant juices.

So there you have it.

Isn't it telling that this thread shows more interest in the taxonomy of insects than the fact that Canonical have issued a patch covering a serious fault in their distro?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

well, I never knew that "bug" had any kind of formal meaning, other than a colloquial word for insects, like critter for just about anything that isn't a bug or a birdy

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Bats=bugs

Are you sure?

They fly, right? They're ugly and hairy, right? C'mon, this is taking all day!

2. Thecowking

A bug is a specific type of insect, having piercing mouthparts iirc. Thus crickets with their mandibles are not bugs.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    2. iLuddite

The photo scored a triple entendre. The main story is 'bug fixes in hand', the 'bugs' are big, and the name of the next distro may include Weta, but please not.

The formal use of "bug" would not include Weta, but in the wild, the word includes crickets, crabs, and sci-fi aliens for the xenophobic. Why use a joke icon when you have photographs?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The next release is going to be a "warewolf." Apparently. So that aint it.

By "formal" you mean correct?

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

The next release is going to be a "warewolf."

"Wily Werewolf" which is just a shade better than "Werewolf's Willy" but nowhere near as cool as "Wascally Wabbit."

3. brotherelf
      Joke

I pity the people who have to go in and cut their bixes off for the breakfast cereal market.

4. Phuq Witt
      Thumb Down

"...I think that beast in the photo is a Weta..."

And, seems to have been lifted from someone's Flickr account.

Pity El Reg doesn't seem to believe in giving image credits.

1. Pookietoo

Re: giving image credits

You must have missed the alt="A Handful of Giant Weta by Mike Locke" tag. I expect that satisfies the requirements of the Creative Commons license under which the photographer released the image.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

KVM NULL-pointer dereference?

WTF? How did that get by? Even mi Amiga 1000 (Enforcer running of course) would of caught that.

1. 080

Re: Huh?

"have"

3. Greg J Preece

I did upgrade to 15.04, but something managed to bork both my systems after running for a while, to the point where they wouldn't boot. Bug was identical, found lots of reference to it online from other people, but no single cause nor solution was found, so here I am on 14.10, running out of updates. Maaaaaaybe it'd be a good idea to give people longer on the previous system if your new system can't be debugged inside half its lifetime.

1. Pookietoo

Re: give people longer on the previous system

They do - one of my machines is still on 12.04, for which support ends in 2017.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like