back to article Stephen Hawking to rattle off answers online for more than a week

Theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking will be, as of Monday, answering questions posted on Reddit for more than a week. It will apparently be the longest AMA (Ask Me Anything) session in the history of the freeloading commentblurt site, which will no doubt appreciate the publicity boost from Hawking after a tough month for the …

1. W Donelson

I've always wondered....

... if the Graviton is the particle that carries gravitational energy, how does it escape the event horizon of a black hole....

1. Grikath

Re: I've always wondered....

My guess is...

A serious amount of *whoosh* as he breaks out the Math .. ;)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Massless does not save it from a black hole (which stops even light). There is little to nothing to help escape from a black hole.

Perhaps, it does not escape or there are no gravitons... under some models?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Particles don't really exchange real gravitons to feel gravity anymore than electrons exchange real photons to repel electromagnetically - they are virtual particles.

Or if you prefer it's all just an accounting trick to make the laws of physics balance.

2. Antonymous Coward
          Holmes

> Massless does not save it from a black hole (which stops even light).

Light has mass. As do all the other sizes of photon.

p = mrel v

...except when they're resting but you're not going to escape a black hole while resting.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Facepalm

Thanks. But I would assume anyone referring to mass in this instance is referring to rest mass (poor concept when scrutinised, but one none the less).

So "having no rest mass does not save it from a black hole" is still a correct statement. ;)

I agree, everything else considered, it is effected by gravity regardless, and I know of no one supposing anything that is not effected by gravity. :)

1. Zmodem

most of what hawkins says is shit, and belongs in the 80s

light does`nt escape a black hole, a black hole just pulls it apart, its just a radio wave, the force of the edge of a black hole is`nt strong enough so it bends light

there are probably ripples in a black hole field which lets some light in, if any, light being bent is how they find black holes

then in a pure vacuum there is no physics, unless you find dark matter

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
                Facepalm

"most of what hawkins says is shit, and belongs in the 80s"

Yes, the 1680's. Arrrrr, Captain, shiver me timbers.

On the other hand, what Hawking says is probably beyond the ken of most of us.

1. JDX Gold badge

Viewing things as particles is so 1960s ;)

It's all about fields these days.

1. Zmodem

most of what i say is beyond most people, it takes a good few years for someone to work it out and a video to appear on youtube

1. Zmodem

make a pulse propulsion thruster, with that 10Mw perpetual generator on board

baterry strobe that can goto 0.1ms or so

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MINI-LED-STROBE-LIGHT-MULTI-SPEED-FLASHING-LIGHT-EFFECT-DJ-PARTY-DISCO-/170778501002?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27c3311f8a

connect some magnets instead of a LED

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-5-5LB-2-5kg-P20-15-Electric-Lifting-Lift-Magnet-Electromagnet-Solenoid-/261936199382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cfc9d36d6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N50-Strong-Round-Ring-Magnets-20mm-x-4mm-Hole-5mm-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-/151438040614?var=&hash=item2342691e26

1. Zmodem

if you try and make a pulse propulsion thruster, you might have to drill the hole bigger in the neodymium magnets

then if you do some dodgy math, you would need a 8.4 Kw thruster to lift 25,000 kg or something, without running a super computer to design them

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
              Headmaster

"I agree, everything else considered, it is effected by gravity regardless, and I know of no one supposing anything that is not effected by gravity. :)"

Affected. This is science. You need to use the correct terms. Go stand at the blackboard and write out "Effected does not mean what I think it means." five hundred times.

<Grammatical error included for a fect>

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"if the Graviton is the particle that carries gravitational energy, how does it escape the event horizon of a black hole"

As it is *the* particle that "carries gravitational energy" then by definition it is unlikely to *be* affected by the effect it causes. Otherwise it gets a bit complicated, where "it" is pretty much everything 8)

IOW, uninformed use of technical terms that neither of us really understands, can lead to spurious contradictions that an expert would consider a bit silly.

2. Harry the Bastard

if....

soz, couldn't resist

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will audio from his synthesizer be available as well?

I need to listen to Division Bell again.

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

slowed communications method.

He's on virgin broadband ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Someone should ask him his opinion of his appearance on Epic Rap Battles of History.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE. Re: I've always wondered....

I dare someone to ask him about EmDrive :-)

7. stucs201

Not quite an AMA

It seems he's specifically wanting to talk about AI.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. Not quite an AMA

Ah, Rise of the Machines (tm) and all that.

Wonder if Prof. Hawking wants to be uploaded or not, that would be an interesting topical question to ask.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon