back to article AT&T swallows DirecTV in $50 BEELLION biz gulp – moments after FCC OK

The FCC has formally approved AT&T's acquisition of satellite TV giant DirecTV, clearing the way for the nearly $50bn deal to go through. On Friday, the US watchdog backed the $48.5bn buyout plan two days after chairman Tom Wheeler announced he would put the proposal up for approval. The deal was waved through with …

1. Mark 85

I see nothing about them not being allowed to kill off the satellite business end. Where a lot of Direct TV's customers are (same for Dish TV) the cable/broadband service is crap if it's even available.

I note there's a requirement to "upgrade" but no timeline. Pretty open-ended these requirements are. Not a good sign.

1. dmacleo

wondering same stuff.supposedly no changes for 3 years but nothing stated for after that. here in the boonies of maine my ONLY broadband and telephone carrier is TDS telecom. there is no cable in the town at all.

so its satellite for me and directv always been, for me, better deal than dish.

2. Efros

More flocculation

bigger conglomerates = less consumer choice = more consumer bills.

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Not gonna do it.

"I see nothing about them not being allowed to kill off the satellite business end. Where a lot of Direct TV's customers are (same for Dish TV) the cable/broadband service is crap if it's even available."

I can't see them doing this though. AT&T's working for AT&T's interests, not the entire cable industry. AT&T cable does not cover a large portion of the US, while DirecTV covers the whole thing. They'd gain a few AT&T cable customers while losing many more customers who have no AT&T services (except maybe wireless) available.

4. Randall Shimizu

This acquisition is a win win for consumers and AT&T. Fiber to the premises (fiber to the home) is expanded by 12.5 million. This also gives AT&T the ability to free up bandwidth over twisted pair where it is needed. AT&T is required to maintain net neutrality as well. There will also be more competition for high speed internet as well. This also gives AT&T the ability to compete in foreign markets for satellite TV.

1. Snow Wombat
      Black Helicopters

You must be new here..

AT&T will weasel out of laying any new infrastructure, or as little as they can.

Or they'll pick the 12.5 million most profitable areas and leave the rest to rot.

There is a history of them agreeing to things like this, and completely failing to even partially deliver.

Remain cynical until proven otherwise.

2. Fred Tourette
      WTF?

Looks like someone drank the corporate Kool-Aid.

1. Mark 85

Looks like someone drank the corporate Kool-Aid. or is on the corporate payroll

FTFY

3. L05ER
      Flame

timelines?

maybe i need to read the document, but what stops them from claiming delays for 10 yrs...

or a licensing agreement so they offload the requirement to third parties? no new fiber is installed, but AT&T gains the 12.5mil capacity. i guess i could choose not to deal with my local co-op *directly*...

jesus christ, we need to just nationalize internet *access* in this country like the highways... and actually be responsible about it this time...

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Oh my

Getting enormous flashbacks to the pre-Internet-bubble-burst merger mania.

Is money too cheap? Are expectations overblown? Is irrationality at hedge fund levels? Is that a black swan I spy? The truth will be revealed soon!

6. lady grey
    Flame

they're getting ready to chop headcount

and it's coming up soon. as soon as they can assess their new acquisition, they'll be looking to dump all those jobs on their u-verse techs and all the direct tv people will be left on the cutting room floor.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like