back to article Boffins sting spooks with 'HORNET' onion router

Five academics have developed a Tor alternative network that can handle up to 93Gb/s of traffic while maintaining privacy. The HORNET system is more resistant to passive attacks than existing anonymity networks like Tor and delivers faster node speeds for a "practically unlimited" number of sources. It is the brainchild of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

turn me on

1. Will any HORNET code or methodology migrate into Tor?

2. When will a HORNET-based system be available for the masses?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: turn me on

1. No. It uses a form of onion routing, but other than that the design is completely different.

2. Who knows? Who would be willing and able to run with a development like this?

2. Mystic Megabyte
    Mushroom

What's the chances of that?

It is the brainchild of leader researcher Chen Chen of Carnegie Mellon University, together with Daniele Enrico Asoni, David Barrera, and Adrian Perrig of the Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, and George Danezis of University College London.

All of whom have sadly died in freak accidents involving presentation fountain pens.

3. JohnnyGStrings

Should've googled before they named this..?

lol I just googled:

hornet network

...and the top result is: Hornet Networks Gay Social Network... Meet more than six million guys worldwide... Hornet makes it fun and easy for gay, bi, and curious guys to meet each other.

I'm wondering if it would have been better to find something that wasn't an existing network and based the acronym/name on that, so the masses can find it easily through google.

1. Ole Juul

Re: Should've googled before they named this..?

I got the same from New York and thought perhaps your results were tied to a specific area. So I tried it from the Netherlands, same result. How about Ukraine? A little better - gay social is number 3 there. Hornet is a great name though, regardless of what you use it for.

2. John G Imrie
      Gimp

Did you remember to turn off your personal search preferences?

1. Elmer Phud

and not mis-spell as 'whorenet'?

1. Henry Minute

Or even 'phooooaaarnet'

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's part of the security for their concept. They plan to confuse the feds by distracting them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That way, the feds will be too busy getting dates to chase the software down.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like