back to article Real researchers discover 'Music Without Limits'

The DRM deathwatch continues. Today, Real Networks announced that its Rhapsody digital music service is selling DRM-free MP3s from all four major records labels, following in the footsteps of Amazon and Napster. That means you can now shuttle Rhapsody tunes onto any MP3 player, including the iPhone and the iPod. Rhapsody will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddie Johnson
    Unhappy

Bitrates?

Bitrates?

Cuz if this is 128kbit crap as I suspect.... there are plenty of limitations!

How bout going beyond the corporate press release and actually doing a little.... journalism?

2. Tom Chiverton

Yawn

Come back when it runs in the UK

3. thomas k.

Real Player?

Do you have to have Real Player installed to buy these tunes? 'Cause that's a deal-breaker.

4. Geoff Mackenzie

Music Without Limits

FLAC files from BitTorrent.

5. Ash
    Paris Hilton

@Eddie Johnson

Relax, guy! This is El Reg! The Daily Star of IT news!

If you're expecting more technical data than the cup size of the Eee Girl, then i'm afraid you're in the wrong place.

Paris, as even she can Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V a press release.

6. Kelan McGuire
    Thumb Up

Pretty Good

I used there service last night. 256kbit music files. No need for their software as you can buy directly from their website. After signing up with them they are giving a free download of any album that cost 9.99 Also albums or singles can be downloaded as a zip file or you can download their installer which will automatically add your albums or singles to iTunes. I got Velvet Revolver's album, "Contraband" for free.

7. ShaggyDoggy

Pricing

What's the betting that when it arrives in the UK that 99 cents has morphed into 79 pence but the same server is used to deliver them worldwide

What's the betting also that a 'premium' service is launched where you can get 256kbps versions (which are upsampled-on-the-fly 128k tracks so no quality increase) and are 99 pence per track

What's the betting also that from 5.5 million tracks there's none of the ones that I want e.g. KS's UE

However all academic since no Real products allowed on my comp.

8. Gordon Stewart

Dollar = Pound

Of course, it this ever does come to the UK, they will simply change the $ for a £ - too expensive.

9. Liam

yup...

if realplayer is a requirement then count us out. we also only want decent bitrates!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

That is all.

Thank you.

11. Sean Aaron

What is the point?

Unless the service is available in the UK, I'm not really interested. So far iTunes+ and 7Digital are the online music sites I use; sadly only partial catalogues are available. Some day music publishers will realise they cannot sell us the same crap in new packaged media and they should just be happy they can sell anything at all...

12. Gav
    Stop

Errr... Without Limits?

"Music Without Limits" indeed? So I'm guessing that both Real and The Registrar consider "US Only" as the kind of limit that's not even worth mentioning.

13. CJ
    Thumb Down

US = World

So they're still not acknowledging that there are other countries in the world, apart from the US?

Even the UK has better luck than poor old SA....

I'd be quite happy to buy tracks online, even at US prices, if only one of these big DRM-free sellers would let me!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Time for a new Google search?

When there was just itunes, it was easy -- if itunes didn't have it, then it wasn't available.

Now, you have to search half a dozen sites just to find out that something isn't available.

Isn't it time Google stepped in and created a homogenous downloads search, so that we can do just ONE search and see which sites have it?

15. Eddie Johnson
    Flame

@AC

Bite your tongue AC! I'm sure in no time at all shop.com and buy.com and getyercraphere.com and a gibizillion other shopper sites will be doing just what you want. You won't even be able to actually FIND the song you want but you'll be able to find a googleful of dead links to places that linked to a place you could buy it a year ago.

Fire pretty. Web 2.0 bad.

16. Midas
    Alien

Fit summation

@Geoff Mackenzie:

I'll second that (old allofmp3.com came real close in the monetized field).

@Ash:

I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for clearing my head.

The alienhead 'cause the truth is in here... Now what was that cupsize?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like