back to article Were the FIRST AMERICANS really FIRST? MYSTERY of vanished 'Population Y'

A long-vanished race of humans, whose descendants now survive only among certain indigenous peoples in Australasia and in the Amazon jungles, may have been the true, original Native Americans, according to new genetics research. The clue to the existence of this mysterious "Population Y" has been found by boffins probing the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well Duh!

If you go to Madagascar there are lots of people who look Polynesian. A good deal of the cabin crew on Air Madagascar were (at one time) of pretty obvious Polynesian decent.

They spread a lot further west than the not that isolated Andaman Islands, down through the Seychelles, Maldives and eventually ended up in Madagascar. Some probably went to Africa but AFAIK there weren't many successful settlements there.

I'm not surprised by the spead of these peoples. Their navigation skills in simple outrigger canoes are there for all to see in many parts of the world where the fishermen go beyond the horizon and well out of sight of land on a daily basis. Most eschew the use of any form of navigational aid and that includes a compass.

1. ButlerInstitute

Re: Well Duh!

Just because they didn't have compasses doesn't mean they didn't know where they were going, or where they were.

See "We, the Navigators: The Ancient Art of Landfinding in the Pacific" by David Lewis.

For example:

Use of "star compass".

recognizing information from clouds, currents, seabirds regarding out-of-sight land.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well Duh!

People from the same tribe that boated over to New Guinea ~80,000 years ago might have continued up the coast of Asia and boated across the Bering Strait, maybe that same year, maybe centuries later, who knows. If they remained nomadic (rather than building empires) they wouldn't have left many traces for archaeologists.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'The Inevitable Eve' fills in some of the gaps

http://inevitableeve.blogspot.com/

Just one example: Due to MLER/PLER, you'd EXPECT genetic signals to fade away. And at a surprisingly fast rate (roughly 25% per generation), if populations are well mixed. And the human populations are a lot better mixed than some people believe. The evidence of the mixing is of course consumed by MLER/PLER.

It all fits, once you understand the basics.

2. Mark Price

Hell of a lot of ifs and maybes

But since the pacific was apparently populated by boat, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think the same groups may have made it to the Americas by boat rather than via the ice

3. David Roberts

Are Australasian and Polynesian synonymous?

I didn't thing the Aboriginal Australians were of Polynesian descent - though they got there much earlier.

Wikipedia does not group them together, certainly.

1. teebie

No, but native New Zealanders are descended from polynesaians

1. Youngone Silver badge

This is true, the native New Zealanders are actual Polynesians. The other Pacific groups are Micronesians and Melanesians.

I'm pretty sure the Aboriginals of Australian are classified as Austronesians.

There is also some evidence for repeated migrations to New Zealand from further north in the Pacific over several generations in the 13th and 14th centuries.

Just think about that for a second. If you live in Europe, there might be a church in your town older than human settlement of the country I live in.

Before that there were no mammals at all in New Zealand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81ori_culture#Polynesian_settlement_of_New_Zealand

4. Lars Silver badge
    Unhappy

Sea sick boffins

As most boffins hardly sail I have this feeling that they underestimate our ability to travel the oceans and are always looking for ice or landbridges to explain everything, poor sea sick boffins.

1. asdf

Re: Sea sick boffins

Not an expert myself but considering even with technology from the last 50 years we were still losing boats as sea you might underestimate how foreboding the North (and South) Atlantic can be to primitive boat building. Even the Polynesians who were forced by their own population pressures out to sea (granted Pacific bigger with less land but still) got into the game very late by the time standards we are talking (2500 BC and more recent).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lots of reasons to cross the ocean

If you're pushed out from your home via famine or a stronger group, the long journey across the ocean with long odds is better than the even longer odds of staying. It isn't like they knew how far it was, they just knew it was further than they'd ever been in that direction. They may not have even tried to go that, an unexpected storm may have taken them off their intended travel path. Once they were at the mercy of the currents they would have no choice but to cross the ocean.

So long as they were able to fish and catch rainwater, and were lucky enough to avoid the worst storms, they could stay in their boats for months and easily cross the Pacific (for some value of 'easy' that few of us will ever experience in our modern comfy lives)

I'll bet there were hundreds of crossings, though most probably didn't survive when they got to the other side and found themselves confronted with unfamiliar terrain and unknown dangers from North America's megafauna.

2. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

@asdf. I cannot prove you wrong, of course. But I think you should look at the charts of the sea currents of the oceans and why not talk with somebody who has (there are thousands) sailed from the Canaries to the West Indies in very small boats very easily, mostly downwind and assisted by the sea current. Which reminds me of a British guy we met in Las Palmas 1963. His name was Proctor and he had built his yacht "Puppy Duck"? himself. The yacht was about 6m long and smaller than the one I sailed when I was 11 years old. A very nice old guy who told us he rather sails the oceans than rot at home. Anybody who know anything about him. His next stop was the West Indies.

Also your comment about 2500BC might imply that you think people where less intelligent then than now. Personally I don't think we have more brains now than say 40 000 perhaps 100 000 years ago. (how much has the brain of an alligator improved in that time). Which reminds me of a very silly movie about stone age people who had difficulties walking like they suffered from arthritis. Why, I rather think they where as fast and moved as gracefully as the African who win marathons to day. Not that long ago dinosaurs where pictured as slow bastards dragging their huge tail behind them going tut tut tut.

And is it not funny how civilization has been born by a river or/and the sea. And what about Noah, a silly story older than the bible but there was a boat all the same.

Quite frankly, and while I can prove nothing, nor can sea sick boffins prove anything either. I do believe they greatly underestimate our ancestors ability to sail the oceans. As for losing boats we are constantly losing every possible device we build and do I need to mention banana peel too.

1. asdf

>Also your comment about 2500BC might imply that you think people where less intelligent then than now

Not implying that at all but that their technology such as material science was obviously a lot more primitive (we and many other other generations built on their innovations). I have to go look but I am pretty sure they haven't proved any decently long open ocean journeys before about 2500BC by anyone.

1. asdf

Looking the only caveats might be Australia being settled 50k years ago. But even then the distance was a few dozen miles not hundreds. Its actually pretty mind blowing to know that ocean levels were up to 150m lower 50k years ago, and things today we think of as islands today were joined together back then. The Philippines may also have been settled as early as 4000 BC but the distance was not more than a few hundred kilometers from Borneo.

2. bep

The problem with 'proving' this is that the boffins want physical evidence but the boats were made of wood which has long since rotted away. So the fact that there is a population on one side of the sea or strait and a genetically-related population on the other side at a time when there was no land bridge is not accepted as evidence that they must have used boats. Instead they hunt for evidence that the dates must be wrong, instead of accepting the simpler explanation that they used boats.

1. asdf

Probably more likely bamboo rafts and as you say probably someone fishing near shore blown out to sea. Still very hard to say. Even the world map looked much different 50,000 years ago. Open ocean navigation for hundreds of miles or more is still something I can almost guarantee man was not doing before the start of the Holocene and probably even mostly this side of it.

5. Hollerith 1

Tierra del Fuegans

There are no more original Tierra del Fuego peoples any more. What did for them is the diseases brought by the missionaries in the mid 1800s, although this simply wiped out any who weren't left standing. I asked my Argentinian guide what he thought about this, and he said the history of the world was one group driving another into extinction. The slightly better step was to merge with the 'conquering' group. Or you could have protracted wars. He also reminded me that this process has not stopped, and wondered if we would see the end of the Palestinians and the Uighurs in this century.

Given that he was half native South American (from Patagonia), I thought he was pretty pragmatic.

So the "Y" first Americans: forced into extinction (or as close as dammit: being driven into the depths of the Amazon), merged with the second wave9s), or died fighting? We'll never fully know, but I await the next info from the genetic evidence.

This stuff is so awesomely interesting. Everything is more complicated than we can believe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tierra del Fuegans

There are no more original Tierra del Fuego peoples any more. What did for them is the diseases brought by the missionaries in the mid 1800s

I remember reading about this a while back. The last indigenous Tierra del Fuegans with a connection to aboriginal Australians died only a few years ago. If I can find the story I'll add a link here.

Edit: Here we go, the article from 1999.

The interesting part:

But how could the early Australians have travelled more than 13,500 kilometres (8,450 miles) at that time? The answer comes from more cave paintings, this time from the Kimberley, a region at the northern tip of Western Australia.

Here, Grahame Walsh, an expert on Australian rock art, found the oldest painting of a boat anywhere in the world. The style of the art means it is at least 17,000 years old, but it could be up to 50,000 years old.

6. John Savard

Lemurians

Obviously Churchward was right, and the people of Population Y are descendants from the ancient Lemurians, who colonized South America leaving the traces found by Le Plongeon!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lemurians

so at some stage the population of the Lemurians fell off a cliff?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Lemurians

No, most prevented that by building stair cases into walls, while others dug straight down to China.

7. DJV Silver badge
    Happy

Or another take...

...here

8. Your alien overlord - fear me

Er, it's a well known fact Aussies like to travel. They obviously just stopped over in South America on their way to become bar staff in London.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

grrr

Even as a clueless Yank all I can say to such a comment is bloody poms.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The puzzlement that the "Y" were completely exterminated in North America - rather than any mixing - would suggest that the "Y" were never in North America. The sea route from Asia might be improbable but not impossible. How much of the Japanese tsunami flotsam has reached South America within a reasonable time-frame?

10. Dan Paul

The super continent Pangea and Gondwana

Since the "Native Americans" have little written history and their oral history changes with time, it is difficult to tell exactly when they got here but a much more plausible explanation for any common genetic markers is that their primitive ancestors (carried the same genes) traveled much shorter distances back when the tectonic plates were much closer. See link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwana

There have been multiple versions of "Native Americans" that have inhabited the America's. People crossed the land bridge from Siberia to Alaska just after the last Ice Age.

In addition, seafaring Polynesians may have traveled across the Pacific to the America's; so may have early Chinese sailors. The wind was in the right direction for easy travel to South America.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: The super continent Pangea and Gondwana

Said supercontinent existed 150 million years ago.

Humanity as a species has existed only for the past 3 million years at most, which is two orders of magnitude inferior to that possibility. So no, Pangea did not help humanity travel the world. It helped a lot of other species, though.

The ice ages, on the other hand, very well could have.

1. Dan Paul

Re: The super continent Pangea and Gondwana

Did you actually READ where I wrote " it is difficult to tell exactly when they got here but a much more plausible explanation for any common genetic markers is that their primitive ancestors (carried the same genes) traveled much shorter distances back when the tectonic plates were much closer."

No, I didn't think so. "Mankind" at the time of Pangea was likely just a type of primitive Lemur but certainly capable of carrying "common genetic markers".

Were you there? Do you have a firsthand account you can relate? Do you have an actual satellite map that shows the position of the continents at throughout time?

The term "Closer" is certainly a relative operator here. Didn't need to be exact distances except closer than a whole present day ocean. If you admit "it helped a lot of other species" why not the predecessors of mankind?

If you don't, then my hypothesis is no less valid than anyone elses. AFTR, no one has any proof it's wrong either.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"If you admit "it helped a lot of other species" why not the predecessors of mankind?"

Because of the list of Extinction Events that include the Chixulub impactor, which caused the K-T extinction of all non-avian dinosaurs, and 75% of the rest of life on the planet's surface 66 million years ago.

Then we have the Eocene–Oligocene extinction event around 40 million years ago, which induced a "large-scale extinction and floral and faunal turnover", essentially in the oceans. Given that the Earth apparently cooled at that time, there must have been an impact on land as well.

Then we can take a look at the Middle Miocene disruption that occured around 15 million years ago and caused "a wave of extinctions of terrestrial and aquatic life forms".

All of this makes it look very dubious that animal life prancing around on Gondwana had any chance of surviving all that and morphing into Humanity, but maybe that's just me.

2. MondoMan
          Thumb Down

Re: Dan's "really old genetic marker" theory

Dan, your "lemur theory" implies that the two groups of humans would have had to evolve independently from the primitive ancestors (that is, two or more evolutionary origins for the human species). The DNA evidence is strongly against this, so I'm afraid your hypothesis IS in fact much less valid.

11. Scott Broukell
    Coat

First Amercians

Did they come Bering gifts?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...displaced them with a thoroughness..."

A thousand generations on, how would one distinguish between angrily "displaced" and happily absorbed?

Keep in mind that about 25% of one's unique genetic code lineage is lost each generation. And 75% raised to the 1000th power is on the order of 10^-125. So it's a mathematical certainty that there's not even a single distinctive 'bit' left.

1. asdf

Re: "...displaced them with a thoroughness..."

except I am sure you are aware that all humans share a staggering amount of the same DNA sequences due to recent bottlenecks and being the nature of life itself we even have a lot of the same DNA earth worms do.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "...displaced them with a thoroughness..."

asdf, "...all humans share a staggering amount of the same DNA sequences due to recent bottlenecks..."

Once you understand MLER/PLER, you'll instantly realize that these theories of 'population bottlenecking' are completely unnecessary.

The commonality of DNA within any group can be perfectly explained by adequate mixing and the natural effect of MLER/PLER.

The adequate mixing requirement being met once one accepts that humans in prehistory traveled around the globe about an order of magnitude more intensively than is generally accepted.

'Eve' is inevitable. A mathematical certainty. No bottlenecking required. Due to Maternal Lineage Extinction Ratio of about 25% per generation.

Read 'The Inevitable Eve' for the complete argument.

2. MondoMan
      WTF?

Re: "unique genetic code lineage"

Re: "about 25% of one's unique genetic code lineage is lost each generation"

Not sure what you're trying to refer to here (perhaps independent assortment?), but the statement is clearly wrong.

The more kids you have, the more of your DNA in the next generation (albeit somewhat re-arranged).

"Displaced" usually means you and your same-genetic-population spouse produce all the kids, or you and your same-genetic-population buddies father all the kids. "Absorbed" usually means you don't mess with the procreation too much and just force all the kids to speak your language and take on your culture (examples might be "displaced" - us/Neanderthals; "absorbed" - "Romans/Etruscans).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "unique genetic code lineage"

"...the statement is clearly wrong."

No, it's clearly correct.

You not comprehending it yet is a separate issue that I can address here...

Each of your kids has 50% of your *unique* DNA. Average kids is about two. = 75% total. Duh.

The Maternal or Paternal Lineage Extinction Ratío (MLER/PLER) is thus about 25% per generation.

This is the single most important driving factor. It has all sorts of fundamental effects. "Eve" is inevitable is one clear conclusion.

If a small tribe mixes with a larger tribe, their unique genetic diversity might well be 'absorbed' without a trace over thousands of years. Due to MLER/PLER. No need for 'displacement' or other made up stories.

That this MLER/PLER concept is so utterly basic, and yet unknown and even denied, is absolutely amazing.

13. Dave 32

Thor Heyerdahl

No one has yet mentioned Thor Heyerdahl, and his Kon-Tiki Expedition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Heyerdahl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kon-Tiki_expedition

Dave

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

time to be that guy

Interesting from a scientific standpoint but in the history of world wide civilization up until now fairly irrelevant other than the locals perhaps cultivating some of the native species that would spread in the great Columbia exchange.

15. h4rm0ny

>>"We spent a really long time trying to make this result go away and it just got stronger," says Professor David Reich of the Harvard Medical School.

That's a refreshing degree of candour. Would that scientists in certain other fields could be so upfront.

16. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Old news?

The term "paleoamerican" has been used for a while to distinguish some inhabitants of the Americas from what we now call "native Americans. See http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21602193-new-fossil-helps-understanding-about-how-americas-were-colonised-history for an example.

The more fossils and ancient DNA we find the more complex migration turns out to have been. But the size of the oceans, particularly the Pacific, did put limits on many journeys. With the right wind and currents a raft might conceivably make it but there was no way people could carry enough fresh water with them.

What it comes down to is largely politics on interpreting migration patterns. Do the Celts have any more right to the British Isles than the Anglo Saxons and Vikings? Not that this is any kind of apologist justification for past crimes: the treatment of the indigenous population by European settlers has routinely be dreadful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Old news?

Science is proudly self-correcting.

And no field of study is more endlessly self-correcting than Paleoanthropology.

They can't even comprehend the basic fact that there remains infinitely more evidence as yet unfound as compares to what they've found so far. Not to mention what evidence has been lost forever. So their speculation goes into baseless details that may fit what they've found, but has near zero chance of surviving the next discovery. Or have any relationship to the truth. They never learn from this endlessly repeated failure.

Don't waste money on *hardcover* Paleoathropology textbooks, just get the softcover version printed on acidic newsprint. They'll be obsolete rubbish in five years anyway.

17. Mystic Megabyte
    Linux

Parrots?

The Vikings used ravens as a method of seeing over the horizon. Let the raven loose and if it cannot see land it has to come back, if it sees land then follow the bird. There is no reason that early humans did not discover this simple navigational technique. It might not work if you're on a raft but a canoe with outriggers could use paddles I suppose.

18. Robert D Bank

Denisovans

probably...there's traces of them in Siberia, Australia and P&G and I think one isolated tribe in India. They probably crossed to North America very early on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Denisovans

The Denis I know rides a bicycle. He doesn't own a van.

19. zaax

Kontiki

Fish not only provide a source of food, but they also contain liquid. We don't give enough credit to the sea going capabilities of our ancestors. If the Kontiki can do clock wise around the south pacific why can another 'boat' go anticlockwise?

20. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

"Well-known"?

It's well known, of course, that humanity spread from its original cradle in Africa out across Asia and thus south to Australasia and separately north - via the Bering Strait land bridge, then in existence - to North America.

Argh. What's "well known" is that the Beringia route almost certainly was not the sole, and quite likely not the first, migration route for humans into the Americas. Maybe we could stop tossing antiquated, debunked theories into articles under the guise of scientific consensus?

Oh, wait, I see Lewis wrote this one. Never mind.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Well-known"?

Yep. I wonder why the paleoanthropologists think that the humans of prehistory could only walk, when it's obvious that they spread to many islands (that were islands at the time)?

What's the half-life of a typical theory in this field? It's probably about ten or fifteen years. Not just amended, but proven *wrong* by a later discovery.

They're just story tellers. File under Half-Fiction.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon