back to article Jeep hackers broke DMCA, says EFF, and that's stupid

It's pretty obvious really: the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has pointed out that the researchers responsible for the now-infamous “Jeep hack” broke America's Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Similarly obvious, they say, is that such research should be legal if Detroit wants to avoid creating the cyber-Pinto. …

1. Terafirma-NZ

self driving car

Until these changes are made we won't see self driving cars.

1. Pliny the Whiner

Re: self driving car

Or we'll see self-driving cars a whole lot sooner than we ever expected.

1. Ole Juul

Self driving cars will also be self crashing cars. Perhaps a car named Autoshop manufactured by a company who also make a model called Flash?

1. Wade Burchette

Of course, Adobe Autoshop® vehicle would for the first several versions be very expensive. But when Adobe discovers that people find old vehicles good enough, you will no longer be offered any purchase option but will be forced to permanently lease the vehicle. To confirm your lease is active and you are not behind on your payments, the vehicle will communicate with the cloud before every ignition. Of course, when, not if, the cloud goes down, Adobe will not be responsible for your failure to get to your job.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

It's already happening...

All modern vehicles can control the brakes and accelerator, and all the automatics have the transmission under computer control.

Even today, some cars already have the steering wheel under computer control for the automatic-parking function.

So that's fun then. How long before the first crash caused by an Internet connectivity or even DAB radio hack?

1. Martin an gof Silver badge
          Alert

Re: It's already happening...

So that's fun then. How long before the first crash caused by an Internet connectivity or even DAB radio hack?

What, you mean like this one, heard on PM last night?

M.

1. Richard Taylor 2
            Facepalm

The UK's Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders has responded by saying that car companies "invest billions of pounds to keep vehicles secure as possible".

So that's OK then

1. J Bourne

And I guess the big OS companies spend pennies then, cos they are getting their software pwned monthly.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

"invest billions of pounds to keep vehicles secure as possible"

Bollocks. They absolutely definitely do not.

No car manufacturer spends "billions" on any new vehicle's software and firmware, let alone the security thereof.

The total cost of development, including retooling of manufacturing plant and training of workers is probably around the billion dollar mark.

When they start out with such an obvious falsehood, how can we trust anything else they say?

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

"No car manufacturer spends "billions" on any new vehicle's software and firmware, let alone the security thereof."

That Car Trade Ass. canned answer is there to make people feel safe and to make sure people continue to buy cars. That they didn't address the DAB hack (or other hacks) is outside of their expertise. They're just spokesmen and lobbyers for the car manufacturers and dealers.

The way I read the answer was that *altogether* the auto industry has spent and/or will spend billions in passenger safety (the 'secure' part ) - they didn't mention software or electronics in any way.

Whether the Billion is still a right figure I don't know. Obviously lots of money has been spent on all those crash tests, development of crumple zones, seat belts, roll cages, child safety, placement of fuel tanks (Ford Pinto) and so on.

2. Charles Manning

Nobody looks at the upside...

With hackable, networked cars you'll be able to xmessage that twat in front of you that the lights have changed. Heck, you can probably take control of the whole car and park him out of the way.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Nobody looks at the upside...

Or you could learn to chill the fuck out and take a breather. A few seconds extra between this set of lights and the next won't change your life.

When asshats honk at me because I'm a little bit slow out of the gate on a set of lights - usually because some pedestrian looks like they are considering YOLOing across the street - I drive extra slow, just for them. I will continue to do so.

Traffic sucks everywhere. Plan accordingly.

3. Sgt_Oddball

placeholder.

See title.

4. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Exemptions?

The entire DMCA is evil, anti-consumer, doesn't prevent commercial piracy and should be scrapped.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Agreed

The DMCA is a sham destined to provide companies with means to strangle any report that may be deemed hurtful to their image. That is the only way I have ever heard about it being used.

The DMCA should logically take a step back when life and limb are at risk. Hopefully a judge somewhere will have the opportunity to state that in court and make a precedent.

5. MJI Silver badge

Cyber Pinto?

Oil stavation due to lack of oil changes = knackered cams

1. Dan Wilkie

Re: Cyber Pinto?

I think they were more referring to the get rear ended / car may explode aspect of the pinto.

Ford used the Pinto name on a car as well as the old Sierra engines (think others had it to)

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

> I think they were more referring to the get rear ended / car may explode aspect of the pinto.

That was my assumption - the car model, not the engine.

The Pinto was famous, not so much for exploding if rear-ended, but for Ford deciding that it was cheaper to pay out the claims than to redesign the car. Supposedly there was an internal memo that got leaked with the numbers and the conclusion that it's "cheaper to let them burn".

I can't help thinking, along with the peson who said it, that we're going through the "cyber" version of this. The manufacturers almost certainly know that they have security issues - but since they can mostly deny them and get away with it, they've probably decided it's more cost effective to carry on regardless than it is to employ proper security people to work with the various projects.

Hence the comment about this potentially being the Cyber Pinto". So few people will be affected, and it'll be so hard for them (or their next of kin) to prove, that it'll be cheaper to leave the security problems as they are and pay out on the few cases they might be held responsible for.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

Cyber Pinto! HIlarious!

I think the reference is to the Pinto's horrible reputation after the exploding gas tank due to rear end rear ending.

Reminds me of marketing the Chevy Nova in Spanish speaking countries.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The petrol station business model of the near future

1. Quick recharge of your electric car's battery.

2. Install OS security patches.

3. Update the car's anti-virus defs.

4. Buy stale sandwiches and overpriced fizzy sugar drink*.

*Some things will never change.

1. VinceH

Re: The petrol station business model of the near future

2 and 3 are also possible attack vectors, of course.

1. dogged

Re: The petrol station business model of the near future

4 is a heart-attack vector.

7. Nigel 11

DMCA illegality?

I wonder whether it is covered by this DMCA exemption

a person who has lawfully obtained use of a computer program accesses a particular portion of the program solely to identify and study elements of the program that are necessary for interoperability and that have not been previously available to him or her

IANAL but ... You've lawfully obtained use when you buy the car. You require inter-operability with yourself in order to drive the car. Where does it say inter-operability with another program excludes inter-operability with a human being? In any case, there must be a lawful use for inter-operating your car so that you can remotely control it from your laptop. I think I've just invented the remote-control demolition derby ....

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: DMCA illegality?

<quote> I think I've just invented the remote-control demolition derby ....</quote>

Aka Robot Wars II http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163488/

Now, instead of destroying ONLY machines, you can terrorize entire populations by taking control of their """connected""" vehicles and cause mayhem.

8. Bob Wheeler
    Trollface

"to better secure their wheels "

Is this for trips to Liverpool?

9. Pfysmate

Business opportunity

Quick trademark iCrash

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing short of massive lawsuits will do anything

This is America, after all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon