back to article You can secretly snoop on someone if they butt-dial you – US judges

A US court of appeals has ruled that phone calls started by accident in your pocket – so-called butt dialing – can be lawfully recorded. The Ohio Sixth Circuit appeals court found in favor [PDF] of a woman who recorded the conversations of a colleague who had unknowingly dialed her number before entering a meeting. James …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"In sum, a person who knowingly operates a device that is capable of inadvertently exposing his conversations to third-party listeners, and fails to take simple precautions to prevent such exposure, does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy with respect to statements that are exposed to an outsider by the inadvertent operation of that device."

hang on ... a person who knowingly operates a device (makes a call on a phone), that is capable of inadv exposing to 3rd party (all phones if network is tapped) and fails to take simple precautions (such as not making the call), does not have reasonable expectation of privacy?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Reasonable expectation of privacy?

After Snowden? Seriously?

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

I know you are trying to be snarky, but if your phone line is tapped, your phone isn't exposing any data to third parties. The third party is stealing the information.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

That did come up (IIRC in the Netherlands) the court ruled that a fault on the line which meant the phone went off-hook allowed the police to listen in without a warrant and use the evidence.

The court got suspicous when there was a "fault on the line" of every suspect that year.

2. Pliny the Whiner

Legal disclaimer

I am not responsible for the actions of my butt. Thank you.

1. Notas Badoff
      Joke

Re: Legal disclaimer

Sorry, if there's any fallout from your inadvertent leaks, we're just not going to wipe that clean.

3. as2003

Ohio is a "one-party consent" state, so this ruling seems to be in line with that.

Presumably the "two-party consent" states like Florida, would have ruled in favour of the prosecution.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Well actually the sentiment seems to be that since he did the dialing, that was consent.

1. Cuddles

@Gene Cash

"Well actually the sentiment seems to be that since he did the dialing, that was consent."

In fact, reading the judgement suggests that actual recording wasn't even mentioned - it's specifically about whether Spaw "intentionally intercepted" the call, and concludes that since Huff was the one who made the call, she didn't. The other part is regarding "intentional disclosure" of an intercepted call, which becomes irrelevant given the previous judgement. No recording was made, only handwritten notes, so the question of who might have consented to a recording doesn't come into it.

@Charles 9

"Trouble is, some instances of butt-dialing come from the fact the butt contact manages to complete the entire sequence of motions from pushing the power button to awaken the phone to the unlocking gesture to dialing."

Sounds like a good argument in favour of fingerprint sensors. They may not be more secure than a pin, but you should struggle to activate them with your arse. Although I'm not entirely sure how people's arses are apparently managing to operate capacitive touchscreens. I suspect there's a significant element of "accidentally hit redial before putting it in pocket" involved.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: @as2003

Actually Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, where the recording took place, is located in Kentucky so Ohio law wouldn't apply but Kentucky is also a single party consent state so that point is moot. The lawsuit was filed in Federal court which is why it was held in Ohio.

Now, with that said, it's possible Spaw would be in violation of KY Rev Stat § 526.060 (PDF) which states, in part,

A person is guilty of divulging illegally obtained information when he knowingly uses or divulges information obtained through eavesdropping or tampering with private communications or learned in the course of employment with a communications common carrier engaged in transmitting the message.

4. Charles 9

"The moral of the story: always lock your phone before stashing it, lest you incur a hefty long-distance charge and a business headache."

Trouble is, some instances of butt-dialing come from the fact the butt contact manages to complete the entire sequence of motions from pushing the power button to awaken the phone to the unlocking gesture to dialing. I've personally seen such things as well as butt-answering, so I've prudently chosen a belt clip for my phone which not only keeps the phone out of my pocket but also places a literal air gap between the screen and anything physical (which may still operate the screen if my body's touching the piece).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The person that did that must have a smart arse

1. Little Mouse
        Coat

Or maybe a clever-dick?

2. Jonathan Richards 1

I see what your butt did there...

> manages to complete the entire sequence of motions

*snigger*

1. MrT

Re: I see what your butt did there...

That truly will be a bum call.

OTOH, what if the voice activation was triggered by a thunderous Bronx cheer?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I usually get purse- or center console-dialed

And I have had some very interesting conversations with my girlfriend's passenger seat.

6. Lionel Baden

WTF!!!

"In sum, a person who knowingly operates a device that is capable of inadvertently exposing his conversations to third-party listeners, and fails to take simple precautions to prevent such exposure, does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy with respect to statements that are exposed to an outsider by the inadvertent operation of that device."

In reality, I don't think he knowingly operated the device !!!

1. Dazed and Confused
      Happy

Re: WTF!!!

> In reality, I don't think he knowingly operated the device !!!

Maybe he was speaking out of his arse and voice dialed her.

2. DropBear

Re: WTF!!!

"operating" here was meant to mean "charge it up, turn it on and put it in your pocket".

7. Tony W

Too much auto?

I wonder how many of these calls are from people who rely on the auto power-off function? I find it hard to imagine how you could dial by accident if the phone is off and you have any sort of lock set.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like