back to article Universal Pictures finds pirated Jurassic World on own localhost, fires off a DMCA takedown

Universal Pictures France appears to have tracked down one source of pirated copies of dino-flick Jurassic World: the loopback address of one of its own boxen. In a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notice obtained by Chilling Effects, an entity called TMG on behalf of Universal's French limb demanded that Google remove …

1. Roq D. Kasba

Special weapons and tools

Quick! SWAT all those dicks on that 10.x.x.x network, those guys are the WORST, pirates to a man.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Special weapons and tools

We're dealing with some sick individuals! Cavity searches all round! Go in hard... go in DEEP!

*pulls goggles down*

2. Ben Tasker

Reg readers will know, 127.0.0.1 is very often used as a computer's very own hostname. 

Actually I think most Reg readers will know that's bollocks. 'Localhost' is very often used as a computers very own hostname.

127.0.0.1 is an RFC1122 reserved loopback address (in fact the entire /8 is reserved for that) so if its used to address another system you're doing something wrong....

1. AndyS

Reg readers will know...

...that there is nobody more pedantic than a Reg reader.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thank God you didn't make any spelling mistakes there :)

2. sisk

Reg readers will know...

Except a Reg commentard.

3. Fungus Bob
        Headmaster

Re: nobody more pedantic than a Reg reader.

There is no word in Apache for pedantic

3. Florida1920
    Coat

Overheard at Universal IT staff meeting

"There's a dinosaur in our backyard."

1. P. Lee
      Joke

Re: Overheard at Universal IT staff meeting

"Pirated objects are mirrored closer than you think."

1. Steven Raith
        Joke

"...Alan"

Ugh, just made myself feel bad at the memory of JP3

Steven "It was OK as a B-movie, really" R

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

"Alan. Alan. Alan. Alan... Steve. Steve. Steve."

(Most famous of the talking animals.)

1. Steven Raith

Lana....Lana...Lana...LANA.....LAAANAAAA--

WHHAATTT??

Made myself feel better now.

Steven R

4. msknight
    Coat

Personally....

I think Universal should take a stand. It should haul itself in to court and demand tens of millions of dollars from itself. You know ... just to make an example that this kind of thing won't be tolerated. It should out its name in public as being criminal scum and of course, hire the most expensive lawyers to prosecute itself.

Of course, at the same time, this means it will have to hire the next-most-expensive set of lawyers to mount a defence, saying that it has no control over the administration of its own network; that its employees are not under its control and, thus, has no liability for what they do. It should also deny culpability on the grounds that the hardware supplied by its ISP is so shoddy and open to hacking (as Lizard Squad members should be able to testify) that there is no realistic chance that it could have had any knowledge of having even downloaded its own movie in the first place, let alone have knowledge of what is on its own network.

Look on the bright side ... popcorn sellers (and lawyers) would make a fortune.

THAT, my dear friends ... would be a film worth watching. Let's be honest here, it would be a damn sight more interesting than yet another Marvel film.

1. msknight

Re: Personally....

(nothing actually against Marvel films per-se, but they're kind of flooding the market at the moment.)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually... that's genius. Set up two independent legal companies to fight a lawsuit, and claim damages from yourself, and write off the whole thing. Awesome way to move profits around.

1. msknight

Might only work if you hire yourself as your own lawyers as well, otherwise you leak profits to the sharks...

Does that count as a conflict of tax interests?

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Per se US and ROM media

I think it's already in production

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

THAT, my dear friends ... would be a film worth watching. Let's be honest here, it would be a damn sight more interesting than yet another Marvel film.

Being Hollywood and all, tens of tons of money would roll in, thus paying for both legal teams, and Universal would still post a "loss" on the venture.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Being Hollywood and all, tens of tons of money would roll in, thus paying for both legal teams, and Universal would still post a "loss" on the venture.

Ah, but the sheer irony of seeing that film being pirated would be worth it on its own :)

4. Kubla Cant

hire the most expensive lawyers to prosecute itself ... hire the next-most-expensive set of lawyers to mount a defence

If the price of lawyers is a measure of their competence, it would be safer to do it the other way round, just in case there's a custodial outcome.

5. jonathanb Silver badge

127.0.0.1 is registered to IANA. Probably they would take them to court.

No joke alert icon because they probably are that stupid.

5. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Also on the list is http://127.0.0.1:4001/#/fr/."

To me that looks like an illicit web server. Whilst it is obviously not appropriate for a take-down notice, it does indicate that localhost *might* have some malware on it that *might* be distributing the master copy, which *might* indicate that the evil pirates are insiders.

1. Doctor_Wibble

Or possibly half of a URL filtering/selecting conversation? The '4001' has the look of one of those numbers selected rather than randomly assigned - the '/#/fr/' says it's not just half of a port-scan result and it had to come from somewhere. Plenty of web filtering software lives on localhost ports.

Or it's a brown M&M.

1. chris 17 Silver badge

could be anything listening on localhost port 4001 but,

http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=4001

ewOak, ICQ Client

OptixPro (Backdoor.OptixPro.13.C) - trojan horse that opens a backdoor on TCP port 4001.

2. Velv
      Boffin

Doesn't even need to be malware, they may be aware of a new tool that does background routing to prevent ISPs from blocking downloads.

Directing traffic to localhost:4001 means a service is running and listening. User google searches for required download, google returns link to 127.0.0.1:4001 and when clicked user can reach download site by VPN bypassing any ISP restrictions or take-downs of public servers.

1. chris 17 Silver badge

@Velv

have you details of such a service

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's almost certainly...

... cacaoweb.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wikipedia says it's Microsoft Ants game...

6. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Presumably ...

A test to see if the scanner works.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

It looks whoever run the tool had his or her own pirated copy on the local machine...

1. eJ2095

Well they need something to compare it against ;-0

1. msknight

Quick ... someone replace the template with a copy of "The Sound of Music."

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

reL eJ2095

Why would they need a copy, wouldn't an has be smaller by at least 2.5k times.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: reL eJ2095

A hash would only be useful if you wanted to check for an exact duplicate. For the software to actually be useful, it has to recognize similar, but not identical copies. It would be silly if it overlooked things like a change in the metadata, but it should also catch various types of reencoding. Most movies found on the Internet aren't in Blu-Ray or master quality; they're reencoded to use much less data but still look the same to a human. The software should be able to detect that, but that's not possible with just a hash.

8. Ian Adams

honey pot

Or does this suggest that they were offering a copy of the film as a torrent honey pot to see who came looking for it and forgot to delete themselves from the list?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: honey pot

Oh come now, they're not smart enough to even think to do that.

Too busy suing schoolgirls for their lunch money.

9. Sebby

Amateurs!

Everybody knows that ::1/128, fe80::/10 and fc00::/7 are where all the real criminals are hiding. If they haven't found those yet, it's because they just aren't looking. Come on guys, fire up those scanners, time is money you know, and this could take a while ...

PS any pirate sites entirely hosted over IPv6 yet? Might be a good way to vastly accelerate deployment ...

10. AceRimmer1980
    Pirate

Was it a Unix system?

cos I know these.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've just tried the link http://127.0.0.1:4001/#/fr/ and it doesn't work?

They must be really quick at taking these sites down.

(For the purposes of highlighting the sheer stupidity of Universal)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

S'funny

I tried http://127.0.0.1:4001/#/fr/ and found the movie!

Yours sincerely,

wawa-mania.ec forum administrator.

2. veti Silver badge

I just tried 127.0.0.1, and it clearly belongs to an evil hacker. The bastard has all my files.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only one...

...who hasn't seen any of the Jurassic movies?

Pirated or not.

So, wasn't me, OK!

13. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    FAIL

A Scanner Darkly

Any request for a take down that contains errors, especially obvious ones such as this should be returned to sender and ignored in it's entirety as being from an unreliable source. For extra points, don't tell the sender what the error is, let them find it themselves.

All future requests from the same sender should be de-prioritised for a couple of months for manual checking until the recipient can be "trusted" again.

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: A Scanner Darkly

It's been said before, but these takedown requests are supposed to be validated and form legal documents as they are part of the evidence supporting the request. If they contain obvious junk or have been built by a robot then the originator should just have the next 10 bulk-requests binned, never mind simply de-prioritised.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

No, they should be prosecuted for filing a false legal document that they've put their name to.

AIUI, one of the supposed "protections" in the DMCA is that the notice must be signed by a person who signs to say that it is a true statement. Since the statement is false, and could be seen to be false by anyone competent to be making claims about it's accuracy, then whoever put their name to is should be prosecuted.

If that person didn't actually sign it (as I suspect is the case) then whoever produced the document with a forged signature should be prosecuted.

No, I can't see that happening either !

1. Chris King

I've had to deal with notices for IP addresses that don't belong to us, and one in a 10-net that wasn't even in use on our local network at the time.

They got told to stop making stuff up in the first case, and to read RFC1918A in the second.

I usually find that when a notice comes in for newly-pirated material, the machine is most likely compromised (and being used as a warez depot) but older films/music/games are more likely to have been downloaded by the user. Getting take-downs for ten-year-old movies really gets tiring after a while.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"should be returned and the sender ignored in its entirety"

FTFY

14. John G Imrie

I'm thinking it's not on Universals machines' but on the scanning company that they hired. Universal should be suing them.

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: 127.0.0.1

Now we just need to know the IP address of the scanning company and we can all download the film for free, now that we know where a legitimate copy is.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they are hosting the download then surely they have authorised it and it is not a pirate copy at all?

16. Ged T

You've all been 'nudged'

...so thanks for talking up our film.

Marketing Universal

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: You've all been 'nudged'

What film? All I'm talking about is how unbelievably clueless Universal Pictures are. Was there a film somewhere in this story?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

System looking for dodgy films

fingers itself.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It could be worse..

With that sort of *cough* "expertise" *cough* it's likely that they will proclaim that every machine with a 127.0.0.1 IP address must have pirated movies on. I personally would *love* to receive such a claim. Can we send them some people to "help" in that direction? Please?

(evil grin)

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Joke

Re: It could be worse..

What do you mean "every machine with a 127.0.0.1 IP address"? Everyone knows that IP addresses are unique identifiers each pointing to an individual laptop. It must be true, I saw it on one of those TV documentries, CSI or NCIS or something.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It could be worse..

It must be true, I saw it on one of those TV documentries, CSI or NCIS or something.

AFAIK they usually have an octet > 255 in them. Not that that is a new idea: they even did that in Sandra Bullock's The Net, which shows just how far ahead of its time that movie documentary was. As a slight aside, Mrs Bullock is actually quite IT competent, as is her cousin.

19. NozeDive

What if Universal is leaking intellectual properties on purpose, and through some screw up, or series of screwups, 127.0.0.1 ended up on this list?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"What if Universal is leaking intellectual properties on purpose"

That would make Prenda Law seem like small fry.

20. Daedalus

Any port in a storm in a teacup

Port 4001 is (was) apparently linked to the Microsoft Ants, an antedeluvian game. But it wouldn't be the first time somebody tunneled out on a port that was assigned to something else.

21. Rick Giles
    Pirate

Maybe it's a clever tactic...

To get access to everyone's PC's?

22. Rick Giles
    Joke

Are they

just looking at titles or are they doing bit checks?

If they're just looking at titles then everyone needs a public share that has files named after Universal's catalog of shite.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Are they

Titles. This has been tested.

23. chivo243 Silver badge
    Devil

Ready! Aim! Fire!

Foot - Check

Gun - Check

Fire! - Check

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon