back to article Pirates also buy content legally, Australian gov study finds

As Australia's communications minister Malcolm Turnbull releases a survey designed to help justify the government's Internet not-a- filter legislation, the nation's opposition is showing signs of morning-after regret for waving the laws through parliament. The law, passed in June, gives content owners a court process by which …

1. veti Silver badge

Newsflash: lots of places don't have Google data centres

And it's going to take more than copyright reform to change that.

For instance, Google is very conscious of its green credentials; Australia is about the most green-hostile country on earth currently.

Then there's its government's constant attempts to censor and filter the net at every level. This is simply not the behaviour of a government that's interested in attracting that sort of business.

For Australia to pursue that sort of business would require a complete political overhaul. No mere "election" could bring that about.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

"those who consumed 100 per cent of their content illegally spent the least money"

No shit.

1. Diogenes

Re: "those who consumed 100 per cent of their content illegally spent the least money"

its been fixed (100% legal spend least) , - but your comment still stands

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Set VPNs to Damp-Squib mode

Both sides of Australian politics are easily influenced numbskulls.

1. Thorne

Re: Set VPNs to Damp-Squib mode

Both sides of Australian politics are identical to each other. We have the Liberals and the ALP (Another Liberal Party). Tony and Bill are even starting to wear the same blue tie.....

4. Phil Kingston

Timing is everything

So the research finished back in April, but wasn't released until after Tony got this bill through?

If only he'd waited till he actually had some facts to base a policy decision on.

But that's not the Abbot way.

5. Wombling_Free
    FAIL

We're only trying

to emulate our own government. They do illegal stuff all the time.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seeing what you are buying isn't bad

When you are not working, poor, or just starting out you have to take every advantage so will of course spend less. Then there are those who have money, maybe a lot of money, because they never pay a bill when they don't have to or when they can get someone else to pay.

On the other hand, as shown, most of us will pay, if only to encourage more of the good stuff, more of what we want.

BUT An increasing problem is theft by companies. The data we create is our data, every bit as is the data created by entertainment and software companies. Yet they claim it isn't theft because it's up for grabs or signed away with purchase agreements. Goose gander most will say.

And some are even stealing back their own products.

I just had several Microsoft products, most bought and paid for at full price (one was a student purchase) become non-genuine. A check of their web site shows they've changed the rules and decided to put more hoops in place if I want to continue to use their overpriced, bloated, buggy, spy-ware by design crap. Meanwhile the Linux related purchases I've made over the years still feel like money well spent.

Maybe if we could get a refund and invoice for our time after buying crap entertainment there wouldn't be such a need for pirated copies. At the very least there should be at as much government action on theft of our data as the data of entertainment companies.

7. aberglas

It's hard to be a Labor pollie

You know you need to agree with everything of substance that the government does so they cannot use news corp against you. Yet they keep doing these crazy things, and you have to agree with them. Hoping for something really important to come up -- like a helicopter ride...

8. RobHib
    Flame

Those figures are exaggerated bullshit!

I'm in Oz and the majority of people I know:

- Do not watch on-line movies (legal or illegal ones), in fact many are like me who don't watch movies at all (except for the occasional one on free-to-air TV), we either do not have the time or have better things to do.

- Same with music, I've over a thousand vinyl and probably double that number of legit CDs and I've simply not the time to listen to them all.

- I'm in IT and the most of my clients haven't the whit to bypass or circumvent on-line TV download blocks, as it is, they've enough difficulty just connecting to the ABC TV's catch-up iView service.

- I see dozens of PC regularly and I'm surprised how few games are actually on them. As for me, I haven't played video games in years.

Yes, there's clearly a percentage of illegal downloaders and gamers around, and if you're in IT you'll easily recognize that demographic, but I'd reckon pigs will fly before that percentage reaches 48%.

What I want to know is how those BS statistics were concocted. Clearly, if you only survey the demographic that I referred to in the previous paragraph then clearly you're likely to get a figure of 48%. But then, this isn't a general survey of the population, is it?

(Seems to me it's the same old story/cracked record repeating itself: the MPAA, BSA and cronies are spending far too much moolah lobbying gullible pollies and generally making themselves objectionable.)

9. Stretch

I have sky and netflix and also the BBC TV Tax. I will consume whatever I like however I like as I have paid quite enough, thank you. You have collective collection agreements. Use them and fuck off, as you have no right to be paid anyway and you should thank your lucky stars for anything you get.

To confirm: you have NO RIGHT to be paid for creative work. No one asked you to do it. You want to get paid, you get paid up front and work on commission.

1. Cpt Blue Bear

I love getting told that "creatives" (read publishing companies) have the right to get paid for their work. My favourite reply is to look slightly puzzled and say "I didn't realise you were a Marxist".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like