back to article The Register's resident space boffin: All you need to know about the Pluto mission

Dwarf planet or not, every schoolchild still learns the name "Pluto" as the ninth and final Sun-orbiting body alongside the eight undisputed planets - and now a spacecraft of the human race has finally visited the remote iceworld. From the very first data that reached the ground, the colossal effort was clearly worthwhile, …

1. JetSetJim
    Pint

Well done folks!

Congrats to the New Horizons team.

They should sit back and have a beer or two while waiting for the data to come down. 16 months for 15Gbits of mission data! Perhaps they should torrent it instead of relying on BT download :)

1. Ian Michael Gumby
      Alien

Uhm just a small nit ... Re: Well done folks!

"New Horizons also took images of the system for several months on approach, in case a last-minute tweak in trajectory was needed to avoid an unknown obstacle."

And you expect to have driverless cars by 2020?

They almost hit my space craft. Clearly no intelligent life in this solar system!

2. DropBear
    Joke

"Pluto’s huge distance from the Sun makes solar power useless, so expensive plutonium is needed"

Hold on... so, for Uranus we'd need... uhhh... Uranium? Yessss, I think I get it now!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, you get that there expensive Plutonium by breeding Neptunium...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. The last doughnut
    Pint

A tremendous achievement

4. Richard Taylor 2
    Pint

Hats off - not just great engineering/science but the patience over the journey. Wonder what the teams finger nails look like?

5. Spoonsinger

Re :- "Meeting a cold dwarf hasn't put off NASA one bit"

I will take umbrage at the cold dwarf thing. It seems obvious that it has internal activity and therefore is actually a proper planet rather than a lump of icy rock and shouldn't be shunted into the whole 'lump of solar detritus' category. Besides Carl Sagan managed to get nine planets on the plaque of the Pioneer missions, (and he was a clever bloke). Modern day people are going to just confuse the aliens with their PC revisionism.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Re :- "Meeting a cold dwarf hasn't put off NASA one bit"

Actually, it's entirely possible there is no internal activity and the "new" surface is entirely due to atmospheric evaporation and deposition.

And Pluto is a dwarf.

6. Your alien overlord - fear me
    Coat

And why wasn't El Reg doing something like this instead of playing with balloons and paper planes?

Mine's the coat to protect me from the down votes :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Given the trouble they had with a small rocket, think what would happen if El Reg tries to launch its own version of an Atlas V...

1. imanidiot Silver badge

It would be glorious and awesome? Possibly involve lot of beer and bacon sarnies?

1. sisk

If ever the Bureau of Special Projects get their hands on an Atlas, might I request that there be a well equipped cameraman on hand for those of us who can't be present to witness it in person with beer and popcorn?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Coat

"It would be glorious and awesome? Possibly involve lot of beer and bacon sarnies?"

Sadly, despite all the hoppy and bacony goodliness, neither ingredient nor any combination thereof is going to lift an Atlas V into orbit let alone to escape velocity. Lager, on the other hand, is far more gassy and may just be possible. Especially XXXX sheeps piss mixed with artificial "bacon bits" Much experimentation has already been carried out with a lower energy substitute known as "cola" with a Mentos catalyst.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Simply wonderful

This is indeed a treasure trove. The data and the conclusions that it will bring are going to entirely change our view of this little planetoid and its history.

Great times.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quote of the Year

"If Neptune had 'cleared' its zone, Pluto wouldn't be there."

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Quote of the Year

"it’s already clear that at least part of the surface of Pluto is young. Planets and moons are continually being bombarded by debris, so the older a surface is, the more impact craters it has on its surface."

Alternate theory?

Pluto has cleared it's zone, resulting in few later impacts, therefore, it is a planet.

1. Just Enough

"Pluto has cleared it's zone, resulting in few later impacts, therefore, it is a planet."

Nope. You still appear to have a rogue apostrophe in its way there. Perhaps in a few thousand years it may impact on the t.

2. Donkey Molestor X

> "If Neptune had 'cleared' its zone, Pluto wouldn't be there."

no kidding, eh? i keep wondering if we're still talking about planets here or hockey players :)

9. DanceMan

Excellent overview of the mission. Thanks to El Reg and Dr. Jones.

10. PhilipN Silver badge

One way ticket please

When is Branson going to start selling trips there?

Hell, forget about the bearded one. Let's club together and do it ourselves.

Anyone have my good mate Elon's phone number?

Seriously though, New Horizons team - bloody brilliant! Nobels all round.

11. ian 22

Whisper from space

The transmitter aboard New Horizons produces only 10 Watts. Amazing it is detectable at a distance of 4.5 light hours!

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

Re: Whisper from space

"The transmitter aboard New Horizons produces only 10 Watts. Amazing it is detectable at a distance of 4.5 light hours!"

Indeed..

Now if I could only get that sort of response off my phone service......

2. Mystic Megabyte
      Joke

Re: Whisper from space

What are you going to do when the computer says that it's going to fail in 48hrs?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

12. imanidiot Silver badge
    Pint

Excelent achievement. If I ever meet one of them at the bar, beers are on me -->

13. disorder

I have some umbrage to take at various reportage of 'initial survey complete', from various places. Without meaning to pick on this one in particular. Yes this is the planet/not planet thing but whichever way you fall on that fence it's wrong to say so.

I being pragmatic fall on whatever side of the fence gets another grand piano-probe sent to the basically as-large (and heavier) Eris, and you can call that 10 planets, or 8 and two biggish-but-not-really ones.

I don't plan on being alive at Sedna periapsis but you could throw that in too.

Naturally the answer is to pool the tritium from reg keyrings to make a nuclear power supply for a future LOHAN derivative. With the added bonus, for outer solar system being that it has its own lights?

14. Kubla Cant

A fantastic achievement, and a fascinating article.

I wish I could say the same about Monday evening's The Sky at Night on the same topic.

For some reason they repeatedly called Pluto's moon Sharon. It's news to me that the Lord of the Underworld had an Essex girl rowing the boat across the Styx. Even though they're astronomers, they surely can't be unaware of the mythical origins of the names. "Charon" starts with the Greek letter chi, which I've always assumed to be a slightly aspirated "k" sound. It's not as if there isn't a major world religion that's spelt with chi.

I have a vested interest: like many other people in the world, my given name starts with this phoneme. Am I going to have to call myself "Shris" in future?

Another couple of points. Why do TV presenters think the best way to show a picture on my TV screen is to show me their sodding tablet? If they can get the picture on the tablet, they can show it full-screen on the TV. And why does The Sky at Night have to be presented by irritating hyperactive nitwits? Doubtless highly-qualified nitwits, but the point remains.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Apparently 'Charon' (the moon) is pronounced 'Shar-on', not 'car-on' (like the ferryman) because its discoverer wanted to name it after his wife (Charlene), but the naming conventions of the IAU say that objects shouldn't be named after spouses or mistresses. Charon was chosen, as a compromise, as it sounded a bit like his wife's nickname 'Char', hence the pronunciation, and also the Greek/Roman god confusion (Charon is the ferryman of the dead in Greek mythology, Pluto is the Roman god of the underworld, so maybe we should start referring to the planet as 'Hades').

Shall we reach a deal: you don't refer to yourself as 'Shris' and James Christy doesn't refer to his wife as 'Karlene'.

1. Kubla Cant

@Loyal

Interesting; I didn't know that. So presumably James Christy's surname is pronounced 'Shristy'?

Although Charon is the ferryman in Greek mythology, it seems the Romans used the same name. Apparently Virgil called him Charon in The Aeneid (I confess I haven't read it in Latin). If so, the Pluto/Charon pairing is legitimate.

2. Kubla Cant

To sum up, it's called Sharon because it's named after a woman who isn't called Sharon.

Shome mishtake, shurely?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"To sum up, it's called Sharon because it's named after a woman who isn't called Sharon.

Personally, I always thought it was pronounced tcharon, the same ch sound used for chart. But I'm just an ignorant so and so with little classical education.

2. Gio Ciampa

Auntie loves her iThings, so wants to show us she has them at every opportunity

3. Intractable Potsherd

@ Kubla and Loyal

Kubla - I have to agree. That "Sky at Night" special showed that the BBC can and will drag everything down to "Horizon" standards (I will not refer to it as "New Horizon" for obvious reasons!) Who were those dribbling baboons presenting, and did all those really tired scientists think they were being interviewed for childrens' television? Thanks for nothing, BBC.

Loyal - It is, and always will be, Charon with a "K" to me, regardless of what the discoverer, no matter how clever, thinking with his prick thought he was doing.

4. joshimitsu

Then they would have called it "Karen" instead.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"And why does The Sky at Night have to be presented by irritating hyperactive nitwits?

To get down wif da yoof? He looks like a rumpled bag of spuds and she looks like a 12yo in an adults body. I've really gone off the show since Patrick left the planet, but I keep watching in the forlorn hope that the producer will grow some balls and accept that The Sky at Night is NOT a CBeebies production.

15. Eclectic Man Silver badge

'Young ' surface

If the Plutonian atmosphere freezes during winter, and, presumably, sublimes in the summer, would that create the appearance of a 'young' surface without the need for a molten or hot core?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'Young ' surface

There's very little atmosphere on Pluto, frozen out it would form a thin frosting across the planet rather than obscuring some stonkingly big geology.

It's a shame New Horizons didn't carry a magnetometer as that would have probably detected any magnetosphere driven by a convecting interior.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

It's a shame New Horizons didn't carry a magnetometer

They should have sent McGyver instead. Need a magnetometer? There's got to be plenty of other bits and bobs aboard that he could use to whip up whatever instrument might be needed at any given time.

2. annodomini2

If most of the surface is made of different ices due to the lower melting point, compare to rocky substrates, could it not just flow back.

As per Europa?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Triton

'Active geysers of nitrogen had been found on Neptune’s moon Triton in 1989, but the source of heat for that was thought to be tides.'

I'm pretty sure the consensus is that Tritonian geysers are driven by solar warming of a dark layer under the translucent nitrogen crust since they cluster close to the moon's subsolar point in the mid-southern hemisphere. The energy needed to perform the large scale reworking of Triton's crust is almost certainly tidal, the moon has plenty of tidal energy from its retrograde orbit around Neptune.

17. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Sky at Night ...

I wish you critics would watch S@N more and try to understand its ethos before taking cudgels to it. Education, information, entertainment.

Lintott is a good scientist and a crap presenter but actually very good when interviewed.

Maggie A-P is probably a good scientist, very enthusiastic but needs someone to tell her that dressing like an Alice in Wonderland character is not suitable for this type of 'adult' tv. A 'slow down' button would be very useful. Rumors that she's actually Patrick Moore dressed in a Bubbles outfit have little basis in fact ...

Having to fit PL and MA-P on screen to show an iPad displaying a 'high resolution image' was just pointless in the extreme.

Pete Lawrence tries to be sensible and valiantly brings near sanity to the proceedings.

It *was* great that they did a special for what was, by any measure, a momentous event and any such publicity has to be good.

However, like a poor Pizza company, S@N tries hard but fails with delivery too often ... ok, where do I get a cudgel?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Sky at Night ...

"Rumors that she's actually Patrick Moore dressed in a Bubbles outfit have little basis in fact ..."

Upvoted for that :-)

18. StephenD

P4 and P5

Surely named a little while ago (2 July 2013, to be precise) as Kerberos and Styx - image and caption both therefore out of date.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like