back to article El Reg hosts the IBM Bluemix Programming Competition 2015

This competition is finished. Conrad Schnitzler

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

The coolaid is strong in this one ...

... Use the force, finesse is not really important.

2. Woza
    Stop

Well, I was going to enter, but

"THE CHALLENGE is open to United Kingdom residents only."

1. Lionel Baden

Re: Well, I was going to enter, but

Well, I was going to enter as well, but I also am disqualified :(

"that you can put together an program that can run within a time limit or on limited resources rather than just lashing together a hideous brute-force monstrosity."

3. Jonathan Richards 1
    Thumb Up

Won't somebody think of the children?

If I'm being honest I dislike hearing software development referred to as “coding”: to me the “coding” aspect – actually bashing the code in and debugging it – is relatively straightforward compared with the design function that should precede it.

Yes! What he said! I've been moaning for ages that all these 'teach kids coding' initiatives miss the point: any fule can bash out some code that will compile, even some that will produce meaningful results for a range of inputs, but nobody teaches kids how to understand a user requirement... or select/design efficient data structures... or build test harnesses to test code using unexpected or corrupted inputs...

A coder is not a software developer, the coding bit is essential but not sufficient, and exposing young minds to the fine detail of specific languages too soon can (in my opinion) limit their later ability to think outside that language's limitations.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

awful bluemix signup page

Has anyone actually managed to register with big bluemix using that link?

I have tried filling in details several times but the register button does nothing, and no errors are flagged.

And there goes my slight interest...

This topic is closed for new posts.