back to article Fancy signing into Windows 10 with Office 365? WHOA there, my friend

Depending on your circumstances you may well have been looking forward to the day of signing in to Windows 10 using nothing more than an Office 365 login, via Azure Active Directory. But that day may not be upon us quite yet. There are two aspects to Azure AD sign-in with Windows 10. One is for administrators, who get the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately the experience went downhill fast.

Sums up the Microsoft experience.

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Not thought through...

Microsoft's services these days show an alarming tendency to "fire first, aim later".

Reminds me of Commodore in the early 90s...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not thought through...

More like one of Clive Sinclair's "yes it's ready" promises so foolishly you send him the cash, wait six months for delivery then find out you've just been suckered by a Clive classic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not thought through...

"More like one of Clive Sinclair's "yes it's ready" promises"

He did get away with some dodgy business practices and iffy quality control that really wouldn't be allowed today. But thats the beauty of rose coloured glasses I suppose.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent article

Thank you for your excellent article. I have been trying to understand the whole Office365/MSA/Azure sign-in process for some time now and always end up frustrated and bewildered. Your article has clarified a couple of things for me. I live in hope that Microsoft will clean up this mess.

1. P. Lee

Re: Excellent article

What is MS' solution to multiple Office365 running off a single Windows Terminal Server?

4. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Is that...

...DESQview?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

250 character limit?

So someone at MS genuinely thought an 8 bit length field in 2015 was good programming practice??

Still, I suppose the 80s retro coding matches the hideous 80s retro GUI so at least they're consistent.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 250 character limit?

It's a curious choice since Storage Spaces with ReFS doesn't have that limitation, which is probably the reason I'm switching over to that here. [Which will be backed up to *nix.]

6. IHateWearingATie

This is really not good enough...

.... MS need to sort this out PDQ. The sign in process in Win 8 already is a bit weird with ODFB and Office, and the confusing prompts for a Microsoft Account (aka my hotmail log in which is what it will be for a large number of people I suspect).

It doesn't seem that hard to design a sensible single sign on for Win 10, but that woudl require their product team, heaven forbid, from working together for once

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Will 2015 be the year of the Windows desktop?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Will 2015 be the year of the Windows desktop?

Don't know, but it seems unlikely to be the year of the Windows X Desktop.

8. Hellcat

This has been going on for ages - the battle for who will be the single sign on in a Microsoft product - 365 or MSA.

Hardly unexpected though when you have 2 product teams working apart and eventually someone says - hey guys, we need cross product access.

9. oldcoder

Anybody else read the headline and see

AAD as Acquired Attention Deficit?

Another product of incompetence... (actually the images from "The Boob Tube" came to mind) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072723/

10. Shady

I remember when...

... circa 15 years ago, that installing and using a desktop linux distro was as painless as this experience. All MS need to do now is stuff up the ethernet drivers and I'll be able to fully reminisce about trying to use SuSE on an AMD K5 with a cheap network card.

1. P. Lee

Re: I remember when...

Heh! Don't knock 'em: SuSE had a driver for my green froggy-shaped ADSL modem when Lasermoon and Redhat didn't.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

This can all be explained by the usual integration teething problems you get when products from different firms need to be integrated using an industry-standard, fully open and well understood specification, but where there's still a bit of leeway as to how it all should work in the real world.

We had the same sort of issues with early enterprise message bus providers too.

Oh wait... I see what you mean...

12. razorfishsl

It all depends which Data centre you are connected to when using the M$ cloud services.

Over here in HK it took nearly 4 months just to get 365 working and even now it is a pile of shit.

Don't even dream it works with anything other than M$ explorer.

The whole thing is designed to force you off any sort of 3rd party system and onto pure web based M$ email systems.

Cannot wait until all the M$ 'experts' are forced to use word & excel via a web browser, thought you could travel round China to your remote manufacturing plants and stay connected and use your office 365?

Well fuck you.

Boy is this windows 10 going to be a laugh once all these execs start traveling about the planet. Holidaying in the Philippines & Thailand is going to be taking a dive.... no wonder M$ is trying to setup a global wireless network.

Me so horny.... me M$ friend you, me network u, love you long long time....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Me love you no shit. You no butterfly! {Finger-waggle}"

Yeah, it should be very interesting as in Chinese curse. No thank you.

[Both lines of descent have been serving in the area for two centuries, so yeah, I know those lines.]

2. Champ

Do you seriously expect to type "M$" and get taken seriously?

13. westerdaled

Status update

All

Has the situation been resolved so that users and Join Azure AD and login to WIndows 10 with their office 365 credentials?

Daniel

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like