back to article Here's why Whittingdale kicked a subscription BBC into the future

A subscription-access BBC isn’t a new idea, and for its advocates, it’s a natural evolution that ensures the survival of the Corporation in the modern world. Yet Minister for Fun John Whittingdale kicked the idea down the road yesterday. Whittingdale explained that for "conditional access" to work, non-subscribers would have …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A TV tax based on income?!

So it goes down as you get wealthier as you're spending more time at work and less on the TV, or it goes up as you're less likely to be funding phone-in crap like Strictly Come Pop Factor and more likely to consume documentaries?

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: A TV tax based on income?!

I guess it goes like this : you stop paying BBC directly and instead BBC is subsidised, to the tune of £4bln, from your taxes. Well, they might not admit it, but this is how it would end up at the end.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much for

Radio 3 only?

1. davemcwish

Re: How much for

Although the TV License covers TV, radio and online, it's only required if you do, or have the capability to watch live BBC broadcasts. If you've just got a radio then AFAIK nothing....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And in the new subscription world?

2. Nick Kew

Careful! Subscribe to that, and you'll suddenly see a lot more crap and correspondingly less good stuff on Radio 3.

I'd go for Radios 3 and 4. And I'd pay double to be spared some of the others, like Radio 2 inflicted on us by builders.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: you'll suddenly see a lot more crap

Radio 3 with pictures? I like it!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Licence 'rewording" required?

At the moment - as I understand it -you require a licence to view live broadcast material.

But not to watch non-live broadcast such as (in the case of the BBC) the iplayer service.

So, and I've not seen any numbers to indicate the scale of what might be a very minor issue, a UK resident could quite legally remove the household aerial and watch Eastenders or what have you a day late without contributing via the licence fee.

Is this an important issue, might it become a more important one if the numbers doing it increased?

1. uchian

Re: Licence 'rewording" required?

The BBC lost 150 million this year, as this trend (which has been known about for a while) has happened more quickly than was expected.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bbc-axe-1000-jobs-searing-5987176

2. Frank Bough

This is exactly what my brother did after the TV licensing people sent him a threatening letter. He'd always paid his fee up until that point.

3. Indolent Wretch

This is something being specifically enabled as requiring the license in the new "deal" the BBC is getting from the government. It won't make any difference but it is possible. Presumably they'll force you to enter a TV license number to access iPlayer and restrict simultaneous usage.

4. g e

And you can get paid subs for t'internet, like wot those Netflix and Amazon chappies do.

Seems to me someone could work out something like plumbing your license number into the iplayer and getting access to everything on one IP at a time (to reduce the benefit of sharing your license# with pals) and people without licenses could pay for individual programs/channels/series to be streamed as they wanted, charged pro-rata in line with the BBC's own published viewing figures for their programs/channels or something

1. MrXavia

" getting access to everything on one IP at a time"

Won't work when IPv6 kicks in, which will be sooner than they get their act together and restrict iPlayer to subscribers..

And anyway, if I have a license why can't my wife watch iPlayer at home while I watch it sitting in an airport?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, that is what you are allowed to do. Is it an important issue? Well the BBC (and the Government) think so as that was part of the review of the licence fee and one of the factors that triggered it.

Less percentage of the population are paying a licence fee and a large part of that group are people who only use 'catch up' for their viewing.

The ability to require a licence for using catch-up would required a change in the law and so it is part of the negotiations.

1. PNGuinn
        Mushroom

There's a world of difference between putting the Beeb's internet - or part of it - behind a paywall and requiring a TV tax for watching "catch up" from anyone else.

I defy anyone to come up with a cast iron definition of what "catch up" is. My guess is that they'll not dare to limit it to the BBC website - that'd set a dangerous precedent.

AND how do you police it? Give the TV licencing nazis the right / obligation to snoop on what anyone does on the intertubes??

I can see how THAT would appeal to those who we elected to serve(?) us.

Alternative - You've got a computer / tab / phone / ithingie - your'e a CRIMINAL leaching off the BBC - Get a TV licence - per device, please (we'll just slip that one in while noone's looking) - PAY UP or go to PRISON you terrorist.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As an honest no TV license holder my understanding is the viewer needs to pay to watch anything real-time or within one hour of broadcast regardless of the medium.

Luckily for me I think 99.5% of TV is risable so I'm happy to wait infinity or maybe the odd clip on youtube a year or so later. I wouldn't touch iplayer in case I slipped up.

I'm heavily against taxing the device as it is levied on an assumption that everyone is a dishonest TV watching sheep. Some of us love to learn and there is precious little to learn from most TV content.

I know the propaganda machine needs us to watch TV so I guess mine will be a voice in the wilderness. As part of the justification for device tax new meme will start, "those who don't watch telly must be off interfering with goats" or similar.

1. Richard Taylor 2

But in my world, the radio is worth it - but if the BBC disappears then I probably won't be able to support that.

7. Matt Siddall

This is exactly what I do - watch TV on catchup (nothing live) and hence pay no license fee.

1. Richard Taylor 2

And I take it you listen to no radio either? Its a legitimate loophole, but no less pathetic for that.

1. Matt Siddall

I actually don't listen to radio, but even if I did, I didn't think you needed a TV license to do so any more.

To be honest, the only things I like that the BBC produces are Doctor Who (of which I usually end up with the DVDs anyway) and Sherlock (which is very much few and far between). I did get a license before the last season of Sherlock started, found absolutely nothing else that was even slightly watchable and cancelled it after 3 months.

I do find catch up a lot more convenient. I don't have a lot of time to watch TV anyway, so it seems odd in this day and age that we still have to wait for a given time to watch a show. I'd rather just watch when and where I want - if I wind up seeing things a day or two later than everyone else, I can live with that.

8. PNGuinn
      FAIL

Re: Licence 'rewording" required? @ac

This is where it is all so silly.

If catchup is so much of a problem - put THAT on a subscription basis.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Stop

"Other countries are bounding ahead"

Going to have to pick you out on this. Could an emaciated BBC supplying just news and Cbeebies over 4K DVB-T2/HEVC be in any way regarded as more of a success than the current BBC supplying channels over DVB-T/H264?

It's not about the compression algorithm. It's about the content and it always was. DVB-T/H264 is what most of mainland Europe uses but, Scandinavian noir police dramas aside, they don't have the content. (Ironically it was BBC4 that made Scandinavian noir police dramas acceptable for the English-speaking world.)

1. theblackhand

Re: "Other countries are bounding ahead"

My understanding from the article was that:

- the government would provide funding for services that benefited the whole of the country (examples given of news and children's TV but not necessarily limited to that)

- further services would then need to be provided by a subscription service

- the current DVB-T hardware does not have uniform hardware support for hardware necessary to support a subscription model

- DVB-T2/HEVC is a EU standard and moving to this would allow the introduction of hardware to support subscriptions as a standard in addition to supporting 4K

Personally I believe the BBC needs to change and has needed to for some time - not so much through the current, apparent political conflict but more due to the changing nature of their audience and competing services.

Younger audiences (16-24) watch significantly less TV content than older audiences across all UK channels and have been for some time as this is beginning to affect the older demographics as well (i.e. 25-34).

Combined with BT/Sky's competition of new series and sporting events, the BBC stands to become left behind unless the change how they deliver and charge for their content.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

After a cursory look at the DVB website, I'm not entirely sure that a DVB-T2 MUX is mandatory for subscription services. It's DVB-CSA3 which is the standard for subscription services and appears that it provides support for SD MPEG2 streams which can be broadcast over a DVB-T MUX.

https://www.dvb.org/standards

"Support for use of the DVB Scrambling Algorithm version 3 within digital broadcasting systems"

So if someone really wanted a subscription service they could buy the hardware with CI+ to have it, but that wouldn't mean everyone would have to throw everything out because subscription services require DVB-T broadcasts to be dropped.

At least to my untrained eyes.

2. eesiginfo

Agreed.... the discussion should primarily be about content, AND developing delivery methods that align with changing 'generational' viewing methods.

One example of this can be seen with sky news, that now streams to Youtube.

Once the content (and quality of it) is established...... the cost is pretty much pre-determined.

So what about concentrating on a broad range of interesting/intelligent/educational programs, and leave the general entertainment garbage to commercial channels, who are anyway doing that kind of stuff.

While the garbage might be cheapish to make... the scale of offerings demand a huge BBC administration.

Slimming the BBC down, to concentrate on the described content, would ensure that there would still be a channel or two that offers stimulating broadcasts IE. ensuring that Britain would not suffer the total dumbing of the population.

Regardless of whether you are rich or poor...... you may want to watch intelligent broadcasts.

It may even be the case that the commercial channels would happily prefer the garbage, and even accept advertising on the BBC, as being specific to intelligent programming.

In this way, we could gain a subsidised advertising model, as a necessary national service.

Like a rail infrastructure is subsidised (while it generates it's own income).

Then just let it go out to the world, as Britain's contribution to culture.

Everybody gets it for free anyway (Filmon and geo blockers).

The value/returns would be significant, if historical evidence of the impact of BBC World Service, is anything to go by.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

If you remove the content that has a broad appeal you have to reduce the licence fee.

If you reduce the licence fee then you won't have the money to make documentaries that also have a broad appeal like the Blue Planet series, Wonders of the Universe series, or others that you can take your pick from...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:BBC_television_documentaries

The BBC's remit has to be that serves the whole population otherwise it won't be able to do that, it really will be restricted to the middle classes. Alternative funding proposals all seem to lead to turning it into another Arte, which is a joint effort between two countries' broadcasters and even then it's so niche its audience share is 1-2%. As much as we all like to complain, who's going to say that this is the kind of BBC that they want?

3. PNGuinn
      Flame

@Dan

Methinks there's not a lot of difference between News and CBeebies these days. Not that I've ever watched Cbeebies. I'm just presuming that its a dumbed down version of "Listen with Mother".

5. msknight

Need an opt out

I only watch News and the occasional Dr Who on TV, and that's it. If they up the rate then I want the option to not pay anything, and throw the TV in the bin.

Anyone know of a flat screen fish tank?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Need an opt out

I watch part of the BBC and occaisionally another part the the BBC. The pay nothing option is easy, don't watch any BBC content. My sky subscription is only reasonable because I don't watch any sky output.

2. dogged

> I want the option to not pay anything, and throw the TV in the bin.

You already have that option.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Well, I don't watch Dr Who so if you want to watch it, will you pay my share of my subscription that goes to that programme? And somebody else can pay the share that goes to football...

4. Graham Marsden
      Boffin

I don't have children, why should I have to pay taxes that go to schools?

I don't have a car, why should I pay taxes that go to roads?

I have private medical cover why should I pay taxes that go to the NHS?

etc etc etc...

1. Avatar of They
        Meh

Argument little flawed. Road tax is meant to pay road tax, and you do pay for it in either bus fairs or taxi fairs, only pedestrians don't pay (and cyclists) Because the road tax isn't enough, that is a different reason, but the tax is still meant to cover it.

NHS, well your private medical company won't have an A&E or ambulance (you may wanna check) so you do pay for the NHS. Something everyone needs to remember when BUPA come calling, you still use the NHS to get there.

Schools, well education is part of taxes so you can have that one.

Most other taxes started out being something to cover where you CAN opt out, like VAT, don't buy and you don't pay it etc etc.

TV Tax is just another, my annoyance is buying a DVD player to watch DVD's generates threatening letters from the licence team. Would love to opt out so I can save my self money. Nothing good on TV if you don't like cooking or reality TV, the rest I can buy as a boxed set so the makers get their well deserved money.

1. billat29

You have to pay for schools. You will need to have a generation to create wealth to pay your pension, deal with your medical problems when you age and finally wipe your backside when you are too feeble to do it yourself.

2. Graham Marsden

@Avatar of They - Re: Need an opt out

I think you've rather missed my point which was exactly *that* just because someone might say "I don't use it, why should I pay for it?" ignores the fact that they still *benefit* from it.

We benefit from a non-commercial BBC, not least because if the BBC *did* go commercial, it would suck a huge amount of advertising revenue away from other broadcasters, thus reducing choice.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Did that whoosh sound puzzle you?

4. Metal Marv
          Alert

Everybody who pays income tax, pays for the upkeep of the road system. "Road Tax" was abolished in 1937.

Motor vehicles now pay "Vehicle Excise duty", and this is related to how much pollution said vehicle emits. Electric cars, Cyclists and pedestrians don't emit the same level of Pollutants, hence why they don't pay VED.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Need an opt out

Wrong. As of the 2015 budget it's road tax again.

2. moonrakin

Well - it's not unreasonable to expect that taxes be spent responsibly.

I don't think that any of your 3 examples can be held up as presently being unalloyed success stories by any stretch of the imagination.

Rather than twiddling encryption ... perhaps the much thornier problem of how to restrain dysfunctional bureaucracies and get them doing what it says on the tin might be addressed.

It's not like the BBC is alone in the wasteful, venal and wonky world of our present public "services" is it?

5. PNGuinn
      Coffee/keyboard

@MSK

Yes - Yesterday in Parliament - R4.

Icon because it would be funny if it wasn't to damn seriously sad.

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Flawed comparison

The UK market has lagged behind other countries, using DVB-T/MPEG-2 for FreeView when the rest of Europe was implementing DVB-T/MPEG-4…

The UK was a pioneer with DVB-T, which is a niche player in countries like Germany (satellite dominates) or the Netherlands (cable): so much so that some of the private companies want to drop it completely. The switch from analogue to digital in Germany was also forced through much faster than in the UK but with fewer channels and none in HD.

However, I don't see what any of this has to do with the licence fee. In Germany it's a pro-household and includes PCs. No exceptions like the UK has. The fee is comparable, and just like the UK, about 50% of it goes towards sport. Want cheaper, universally accessible TV? Require more sports to be free to watch.

1. Shinku

Re: Flawed comparison

I'm fine with the licence as it stands, and I can even understand closing up the old on-demand-is-exempt-for-some-reason loophole, but anybody who tries to tell me that a tax on PCs or smartphones can sod off.

The TV licence funds essential services which enable us, the viewing public, to receive content - and that's fine, we're funding the content we consume (and the upkeep of the transmission network?) - it makes sense. But if I've paid my internet bill, and my phone bill, and bought my PC and smartphone, and consume (for example) YouTube, Netflix, Amazon and Twitch content... well, what would I be paying a licence for? At no point does that money contribute to the content I'm viewing or the infrastructure over which it travels, that's what I pay my ISP/mobile phone carrier/content providers for. Even if you consider content created by the BBC, not only has that already been paid for by the TV licence, the rights fees are being paid by Netflix/Amazon/etc for streaming online, which are in turn being paid for by me, the consumer. This argument also applies to the BBC Store, whenever that goes public sometime later this year. I see no justification for arbitrarily deciding that just because I own a thing with a screen and speaker I must be doing something which requires a TV licence. Put a TV licence check on iPlayer if you suspect I'm a freeloading licence-dodger, that'll be fair enough by me.

2. Naselus

"Want cheaper, universally accessible TV? Require more sports to be free to watch."

Or drop sports from the Beeb's mandate altogether.

Assuming the BBC wins the rights to a hundred or so 90-minute games of football every year, that means it's spending half it's annual budget on just 6 and a quarter day's worth of TV time, which a considerable portion of the audience couldn't give a toss about or even actively dislikes. I'd rather see that money being put into documentaries and good script writing than being used to pad Wayne Rooney's salary and 3000 hours of Strictly Come Dancing being used to pad the shortfall.

3. FlatSpot

Never mind the fancy stuff.. I'm amazed that when it comes to the local news on the BBC HD channel you get an interlude... why can't they pipe the SD channel down the HD channel ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why no SD on HD. HD doesn't have a regional Opt only national. At the moment.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Unhappy

German TV is hardly the shining beacon that we hope the BBC will become either, it just seems a huge waste of money...

"Since 2013, Germans pay a per-household flat fee of €17.98 per month for all electronic devices, known as the Rundfunkbeitrag or “broadcast contribution”. The amount replaced the old GEZ radio and TV fee which was payable per device. The system used to be based on individuals taking the initiative to pay, and an army of inspectors who were allowed to do door-to-door patrols, but was replaced by an obligatory payment, so that no one can avoid it. Exemptions include low-income families and students. Disabled people can apply to pay a reduced fee of €5.99. Companies pay according to the number of employees they have, but every company, whether a bakery or a hair salon, is obliged to pay.

The fees are criticised as being among the highest in the world despite public stations carrying ads, and because of the often poor quality of German television as well as the high number of programmes bought from foreign broadcasters, particularly the US.

The annual revenue from licence fees is approximately €7.6bn, with an additional €500m raised from commercials, giving Germany one of the largest public broadcasting budgets in the world. The international success of television series from Scandinavia, the US and Britain has prompted questions about why, with its huge budget, Germany has a poor record of producing exportable formats."

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Sorry, forgot the source...

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/19/public-sector-broadcasting-worldwide-bbc

7. knarf

I love the BBC but....

I'm not sure it is worth it for the programs I watch, also the "dumbing down" of news recently I find quite annoying.

1. chris swain

Re: I love the BBC but....

I no longer turn to the BBC for news, finding Channel 4 to be much better these days (still watch the occasional Newsnight though)

8. dave 93

Subscription version of iPlayer for non-UK customers

For the last few years, the BBC had a subscription version of the iPlayer for iOS users via a BBC Worldwide app. It worked well, and offered curated collections of BBC programmes, including whole series rather than catch-up TV content.

Sadly, as of this month, this app is no longer supported, and the BBC has stopped taking my money.

Offering BBC content to a global paying audience over the internet seems like an obvious way to make extra income, and solves the 'conditional access' problem - what am I missing?

1. Shinku

Re: Subscription version of iPlayer for non-UK customers

There's a new BBC Store to soon be launched (unsure exactly when) which I presume will act as a replacement for the previous BBC iPlayer Global. No sign of what might be available on it yet, or what the cost of content might be, but I'm looking forward to it. Might be worth using if they can shovel up some nice archive content.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"what am I missing?"

The fact that the Beeb is run by numpties?

3. DavCrav

"Offering BBC content to a global paying audience over the internet seems like an obvious way to make extra income, and solves the 'conditional access' problem - what am I missing?"

Do they have the rights to everything worldwide? Answer, no. In the UK the government compels for example music copyright owners to give their permission for the BBC to use any music it wants. They do not have such rights abroad.

4. Nick Kew

Sadly, as of this month, this app is no longer supported, and the BBC has stopped taking my money.

They were probably concerned that TPTB might notice they had other income streams. Not to mention technology that might be relevant to the license review itself.

9. AndrueC Silver badge
    Facepalm

Other access devices don’t have anything CI, including the BBC’s YouView box. Why would it? The designers conveniently (for the BBC) assumed everything terrestrial would always be unencrypted.

Freesat boxes don't have a CI either (or it only works if the receiver is flipped into 'manual mode'). That was a requirement of the original spec I believe.

"The BBC intends to launch a national free-to-view satellite proposition as an additional means of access for licence fee payers to access digital services, including the BBC's digital television channels and radio services. This access route will be offered on the basis of a one-off initial payment [b]with a guarantee of no ongoing subscription charges[/b]."

I wonder what the legal position would be in that case if all the Freesat boxes became useless due to a change of heart by the BBC?

1. Paul Shirley

Being on every possible delivery platform - Sky, Freesat, cable & internet has a distinct stink of ensuring everyone requires a licence. A notional tax based on a service you could not receive wouldn't survive the first trip to court, whatever the law says. That means withdrawing that 'free' availability simply isn't an option for the BCC, unless they simultaneously switch to conditional access.

I think they have a damn good idea how few Sky customers would volunteer to pay for the BBC channels.

1. Nick Kew

Being on every possible delivery platform - Sky, Freesat, cable & internet has a distinct stink of ensuring everyone requires a licence.

Any Internet platform comes with a log of traffic to your address. If anyone accuses me of watching telly on a PC (to the point of having to defend myself), I shall suggest they requisition logs from my ISP, and waive whatever notional right to privacy I might have in that regard.

2. Warm Braw

It was entirely deliberate.

One of the reasons for the rush to get Freeview out of the door after the debacle that was ITV Digital was explicitly to get STBs free of Conditional Access deployed as widely as possible. It was a deliberate attempt to forestall any attempt to replace the licence fee with a subscription model.

You have to hand it to the BBC - they had a great deal of foresight.

And, of course, same with Freesat. But that was also leverage to reduce the huge fees Sky were charging the BBC for the privilege of encrypting their content so only UK citizens could view it.

And any comparison other European Digital Terrestrial systems (with minor exceptions) misses the point - terrestrial is an also-ran compared with cable or satellite in most of them.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"But if viewers wanted extras, they’d need to pay. "

And the problem there is what they end up classifying as 'Core' vs 'Extra'. I have a strong suspicion that a significant portion of the BBC's current worthwhile output would be classified as 'extra', subject to subscription.

My telly died last year but I still pay for the license, just in case I decide to get a new one. I'm happy to do that because it isn't so great an amount to pay for what we currently get.

If they move to reclassify any part of what they currently broadcast as 'premium content', then I'll just stop. That's a game I will not play.

1. Irongut

Re: "But if viewers wanted extras, they’d need to pay. "

You sir are an idiot.

"My telly died last year but I still pay for the license... because it isn't so great an amount to pay for what we currently get."

You have no TV so you get nothing. You are happy to pay a fee for nothing!?!?

While you're here I have this cubic foot of air I'd like to sell you...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Idiot?

1. I am law-abiding and I'd like to be able to legally watch something via my DVB USB thingy if it's important enough to me.

2. Despite it's many flaws I think the BBC is very worthwhile and I don't begrudge the amount currently needed to fund it, whether I watch it or not.

An idiot I am not, and you can blow your cubic foot of air back wherever it came from.

11. Bronek Kozicki
    Flame

bollocks

... reluctant to increase the cost of the BBC for the middle classes who most use it, but who are currently subsidised by low income license fee payers

numbers or it didn't happen. Just a reminder, a middle class is someone who can afford monthly subscription to Sky or Virgin Media, and thus is not limited by free terrestial TV.

Also, paying same price for same service hardly seem "subsidising" to me, I guess some Guardian reader must have put this sentence for you?

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: bollocks

I think they see it in terms of the middle classes listening to Radio 2, 3, 4 during the day, and in the evening watching the News, Only Connect, Springwatch etc while the low incomes only go to BBC1 to watch Eastenders before changing over to watch Emmerdale, New Faces/Opportunity Knocks Britains Got Talent etc on the other side.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: bollocks

"Just a reminder, a middle class is someone who can afford monthly subscription to Sky or Virgin Media, and thus is not limited by free terrestial TV."

Your wrong there, I think you will find they actually cable up poorer/lower classed areas first, because the poor are more likely to sit watching Virgin Media/Sky TV...

12. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

I assumed it's been widely hacked "since 1997"

Quoting a standard number doesn't necessarily make it secure.

In North America, such card based subscription systems for satellite TV were and still are a plaything for hackers.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well in France the Canal+ encryption scheme used to be easy to get at, but they've cleaned that issue and now, if you don't pay, you don't get Canal+.

I do now know of any hackers that manage to bypass that. Not saying there aren't any, but what little there are are not hurting Canal+ revenue any more for sure.

2. John Sager

Re: I assumed it's been widely hacked "since 1997"

Common Interface is just that - an interface between a conditional access device and the TV set. All the security stuff is in the module, with none in the TV. It was designed that way deliberately (I was one of the designers) so that conditional access provision could be independent from TV/Set-top box manufacture. Sky, in their infinite business wisdom, decided to do it their way rather than joining the party. Lots of arguments at meetings in Geneva as I recall!

There is an upgraded specification, CI Plus, which adds encryption between module & TV using a standardised system to placate some of the content owners. That is independent of the over-air crypto & customer management provided by the module.

13. Shinku

I'm not enthusiastic about a subscription-based BBC, I feel it (and thus we) would be worse off if it happened, I would expect no more of it as a subscription offering than I would any other commercial broadcaster. That is to say it would have to cater primarily, or entirely, to the types of content people are willing to pay directly for and I believe that would weaken or even completely remove what little of its factual and otherwise well-made content remains. This, I think, would cause it to fall rapidly from its place as a world-respected broadcaster with fans all around the globe whether they can reach the content legally or not.

Having said that, I also feel that a lack of foresight, planning and perhaps long term technical awareness has caused our national broadcast networks to be restricted and retarded. We could be using DVB-T2/MPEG-4 for everything now and we wouldn't be stuck trying to cram dozens of mediocre quality channels into a few strained multiplexes, we could be using the bandwidth much more efficiently. Except we can't, because when the digital switchover happened everybody rushed out and bought receivers which aren't capable of anything other than a strict definition of DVB-T/MPEG-2. See also DAB vs DAB+.

It's not the 20th century any more, technology moves quickly, why do we continue to use these rigid devices which are designed to be unable to cope with updated standards or entirely new ones? Worse, why are these devices built with no option to be upgraded? Could we not have had receivers designed from the start to all have CAM slots and codec upgrade modules? How much landfill is comprised of old gear which can no longer be used? Most (all?) of the OnDigital/ITV Digital era stuff is pretty much useless today, and I think even some of the early Freeview stuff is unusable now too.

When you can buy a Raspberry Pi for £20 or thereabouts, it seems entirely reasonable to me that we should have equipment which is reconfigurable, basically a dumb tuner connected to an ADC (because there's no real reason to change those) and a multipurpose computer. Then you'd have some combination of built in software and hardware codecs (as per the Pi example, MPEG-2, VC-1, H.264) and some external interface to shovel a bitstream to in case of a more modern codec which can't be handled by the hardware because of aged hardware. Better yet, make it USB so we can use the same modules on PCs for maximum compatibility. I'm not suggesting manufacturers just flog some sort of Pi + tuner dongle + Kodi HTPC package, of course not, but can't we have some sort of expandable standard which won't get left in the dust before it's even launched?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Freeview offers OTA firmware updates but none of the El Cheapo MPEG-2 boxes are be able to upgrade their firmware anyway, or the hardware isn't good enough to cope with H264.

Then there are the legal gubbins of adding a new codec to a device which didn't originally have the licence for it and there's no way of charging the end user extra or even working out how many end users have updated.

Maybe a HVAC tuner could be used via the CI?

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

DTV was all about the cost.

It all comes down to money. During the switch to Digital Terrestrial, TV consumers were being effectively told that they had to spend money in order to continue watching TV. This was never popular, but it was convenient that it coincided with adoption of flat-panel TVs that softened the blow by giving consumers larger screens and space in their homes back as part of the 'deal'.

It would have been possible to publish requirements that mandated more functional and thus more expensive devices, but if the minimum cost STB device was £70-100 rather than the £20-30 (or even cheaper for the supermarket specials) that it was, imagine what the backlash would have been.

I remember at the time I ended up buying freeview STBs for 8 TVs in the house (it's a big house with TVs in most of the bedrooms) and ended up paying a couple of hundred quid for the privilege. I would not have been happy if it had cost me £500 instead, just for the privilege of being able to use the TVs I already owned.

Of course, I don't think that any of the first set of adapters I bought are still functional (catastrophic capacitor breakdown took most of them out - with the exception of the very oldest - about 12 years old, which was still working a few months ago)

These old adapters have mainly now been replaced, along with the TVs they used to drive with TVs that receive freeview anyway. If I had to go through the whole exercise for 7 TVs (one bedroom is no longer being used as a bedroom), I would be pretty unhappy.

I'm getting pretty fed up of everybody, from the technology companies through government and down to people I know who seem to assume that everybody will be replacing tech on a 3 year cycle. It just does not fit in to many, many peoples lifestyles to replace all their tech over such a short time span! As a result, road-maps for at least the next 10 years are required to allow the public to decide whether to spend little and often or a lot, but less frequently.

14. Andy Mc

Interesting view on history

"The UK market has lagged behind other countries, using DVB-T/MPEG-2 for FreeView when the rest of Europe was implementing DVB-T/MPEG-4. Within two years, Germany will be switching over to DVB-T2 using HEVC, which makes much more efficient use of spectrum for 4K transmissions"

Completely nonsense. It's because we were right at the leading edge that DVB-T and MPEG-2 were implemented. To the best of my knowledge the only countries that launched with H.264 were those who were many years behind us. And we were one of the first adopters of DVB-T2. HEVC was barely even a concept at the point we implemented HD on DVB-T2 6 years ago, which is why we chose H.264.

1. P. Lee

Re: Interesting view on history

>"The UK market has lagged behind other countries..."

It rather assumes that there is a "front." Do we actually want 4k? That seems like way too much data to use on most PC networks, never mind a tablet with 3G.

Do we want to bulk up video transmissions to the point where they don't fit that well on networks and devices? Yay! We've adopted a standard that ruins our networks for the same content that we had before! We must be at the forefront of IT!

Personally I'm reasonably happy with mpeg2. Its a little irritating that tablets don't support it, but that's the tablets' fault, not broadcast TV. I'd like a higher framerate for watching tennis, not a larger screen.

2. tin 2

Re: Interesting view on history

^ This. And to add, with something as universal as the (several) TVs in everyone's house, you can't keep changing the standard every 10 years or so and expect everyone to buy a whole new pile of kit. A line has been drawn and we need to stick with it for a time.

IMHO the line in the UK is not too bad, the problem is the commercialing* of it where the commerical entities are hell bent on (or have to, depending on your view) stuffing the muxes with as much as they can get away with fitting in.

*or re-commericalising, after our hated BBC essentially rescued it out of the catastrophe of ONdigital. TBH for all the thanks they got, I would have just let it die!

Also, we're not using DVB-T2 for standard def contrary to what the article currently says.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mandate

I don't think some of that is quite right. The directive you link to under the ref EN 50221-1997 is to Directive 98/84/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 November 1998 on the legal protection of services based on, or consisting of, conditional access . All that does is bring any legal conditional access device into the single market. There is no 'essential requirement' even allowing for the use of the EN for voluntary compliance (ie its not a New Approach directive).

The actual EN may have been produced by a mandate but all that means is the creation of the standards is mandated not its use. It also means national standards bodies in the EU may not offer a competing standard and must implement as a standards.

The elephant in the room may be the EU referendum. The BBC as is was created outside of EU state aids rules as it predated our entry. Any fundamental change that still used state funding or state support in any fashion would have to go through state aids approval so I doubt there is any desire to do this on either the Gov side or the BBC side as it would be a very political exposure to the EU Council - some of whom are unlikely to have positive views about the BBC.

16. uchian

If the BBC went subscription based, Netflix and Now TV would start to look extremely bare if the BBC stopped letting out the back catalog - which would make a lot more sense to be on iplayer in a subscription world.

Netflix would lose : Red Dwarf, Bottom, Doctor who, top gear, QI, Big School, I'm Alan Partridge, The Mitchell and Webb look, Orphan Black, etc, etc...

Now TV would lose, Well, pretty much everything off gold and Dave for a start.

Also, I think there would be an uproar when the 6 million people who watch Eastenders suddenly realize it is behind a paywall...

17. tin 2

But... how do you control the cards

This is a multi-faceted matter with arguments on each point all over the place, so let's suppose for a moment the BBC goes subscription, with some kind of CA card, and all everyone's kit can handle it, or it is deemed acceptable to scrap.

How do you maintain the household eligibility or do you scrap that too?

If a house has 6 TVs, do you give them 6 cards? How do you stop them giving them to their mates? Or do you have to subscribe 6 times? Or do we go back to only one TV in the house (which is basically one TV with one crap-technology VOD channel, not a suite of channels, so it should be a boat-load cheaper). How do you let your kids watch cbbc in the back room while you watch the golf?

The tech - and also the human interaction involved - doesn't exist, and I can't really see how it can be made to exist. The BBC were completely right to try to make a DVB-T and -S system that is based on no CA. It requires the licence fee, but so does elimination of one hell of a unanswerable ball-ache.

1. Irongut

Re: But... how do you control the cards

Because in the almost 25 year history of Sky they haven't solved all those problems already. Oh no.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: But... how do you control the cards @Irongut

Sky control it for their satellite service by making all of the boxes require a card, and then charge you ~£11 per month on top of your basic subscripting per additional STB.

You also have the problem of long runs of pretty fussy co-ax cable to the satellite dish (you can't just split it because of the signal polarisation), and the requirement to have a quad- or octo- LNB.

So no. They've not controlled it. They've made it a revenue earning opportunity, like they always do.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: But... how do you control the cards

Yep, solved by making you buy another box and rent a viewing card for an extra tenner. Great solution!

18. IHateWearingATie

Do not mess with Radio 4 Mr Whittingdale...

... if you value your Tory seats in the home counties.

19. chris swain

I'd like to retain a set of commercial-free TV stations

I've never got my head around the fact that you pay for subscription TV and STILL have to watch adverts!

I value the BBC for what it is and would probably pay a subscription fee for a package that included their channels if I didn't have to pay a licence fee (just as long as they keep knocking out reasonable quality documentaries on BBC4, anything with professor Jim Al Khalili for example, or their medieval history docs)

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Happy

Re: I'd like to retain a set of commercial-free TV stations

I've never got my head around the fact that you pay for subscription TV and STILL have to watch adverts!

It's because the subscription is not enough on its own. If you want advert free TV (legally) you'd be paying higher subscriptions. The industry has determined(*) what price point best suits their business model and they make up the difference through adverts.

Another way to look at it is to see the subscription as being a subsidy.

And if you don't want to watch adverts get a DVR, stop watching live TV and use the fast forward button ;)

20. Mage Silver badge
    Unhappy

A subscription-access BBC isn’t a new idea ..

No, and Ofcom would love it as it would be the end of Terrestrial TV.

Ofcom is obsessed with mobile (it wouldn't be the licence revenue) to exclusion of caring about any other spectrum use. Both Ofcom and Comreg want to sell off ALL the UHF spectrum and close Terrestrial broadcast.

Subscription BBC would massively boost Cable and Satellite Pay TV too. So there are many powerful anti-consumer interests that want to throttle the BBC and Free To Air TV.

21. gareth 19

"In the UK public service multiplexes can’t scramble their signal – it’s a cornerstone of “universality”. Yet this requirement would be dropped if a hybrid universal/conditional model was adopted."

Until fairly recently you could get BT Sport via BT Vision boxes using a CI card (rather than over the internet via Youview boxes), Setanta and someone before them have been encrypted too. Were they on a separate multiplex?

I'm struggling to see the equipment as a problem. If you want Sky you get a box and dish. If BBC became a subscription service why would it be expected or required to be more easily available than Sky?

1. Paul Shirley

BT Sport in on a commercial mux (COM6 ATM), as are the subscription streaming channels in the mid 200's. The old terrestrial channels fill PS1,PS2&PS3.

The BBC did encrypt the HD programme guide to force manufacturers to agree licences and DRM restrictions. It was broken before they even turned on my channels ;)

22. heyrick Silver badge

Fee per receiver vs licence fee

Has anybody crunched the numbers on this? TV in the living room, TV in the bedroom, TV in the kids room...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Social conscience

"currently subsidised by low income license fee payers"

But of course most of them are also paying for Sky subscriptions, so actually it would put more money in their pockets if they no longer had to pay a BBC licence fee as well. That means you can support this idea and have a social conscience.

24. Indolent Wretch

The idea of a subscription only state broadcaster has been hopefully kicked a bit further than "down the road" because it's a ****ing stupid idea.

The whole point of a state broadcaster is universal access.

About time somebody bit the bullet, scrapped the ridiculously inefficient and unfair concept of a TV license and just funded the damn thing through direct taxation.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

No direct taxation, God no. The BBC woud just be another government department subject to all the political meddling that that entails.

Although at the moment the Tory Boy and friends are pushing it to its limits with the review and dropping the Trust.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

funding a state broadcaster

Surely it's possible, somehow, to fund the BBC out of general taxation without subjecting it to political interference?

I don't watch TV myself. I'm happy to pay for the BBC if it produces something educational. I'm not happy to pay for it to produce dross. Though, to be fair, TV dross is a lot less harmful than many things that the government spends my money on...

2. Jean Le PHARMACIEN

" funded the damn thing through direct taxation"

Indeed. I have a house in France and portion of the "taxe d’habitation" has a portion marked "la redevance audiovisuelle" (which is a fairly recently devised piece of the tax) which in 2014 was €133. Apparently if you have no device capable of receiving broadcast programmes (which includes Digital TV Recorders and tape TV recorders) you can claim a refund. I did; as I only have a mini-PC into which I drop a mirror image of my home DTR hard drive. It's only been six months and I'm still waiting for the refund.

BTW if I don't watch commercial TV stations; can I claim back the TV advertising portion of every product I buy?

Is that a "No" I hear?

It would seem then, that I am paying for a service I don't use/want. In which case it's a worse tax than VAT. It's such an unfair tax!

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: " funded the damn thing through direct taxation"

'BTW if I don't watch commercial TV stations; can I claim back the TV advertising portion of every product I buy?

Is that a "No" I hear?

It would seem then, that I am paying for a service I don't use/want. In which case it's a worse tax than VAT. It's such an unfair tax!'

Even worse, you're paying VAT on that portion.

25. Trollslayer
    Mushroom

Conditional Access isn't mandated

The provision of a CI (Common Interface) connector is mandated.

Unfortunately the CI connector being usable isn't. I saw a TV with the connector on board but it wasn't connected to anything so they could use some cheaper parts inside.

26. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Combine TV detector vans and Google street view cars with wifi slurpring kit

That's gotta be more efficient.

27. peterm3

Your view that public service television would somehow be better or cheaper if it relied upon a simplistic market model is flawed. Just like with healthcare, it is cheaper to fund such public services collectively. As you say, Germany has a better model. High quality public service broadcasting using the latest technology, including HbbTV which is a better platform for video on demand than the mix of standards we have.

Not sure I'd want to live in a country like the US where only the wealthy have access to intelligent TV. Television helps bind society together, rather than a completely individualistic consumerist "I'm alright Jack" society.

28. bed

and another thing...

I see on this forum two sorts of threads: Do I need a TV licence if I don’t watch live TV (no), and is the TV Licence the best way of funding universal access (pass). In Scotland another thread is rumbling along because of perceived or real bias at BBC Scotland and a number of people, upon realising they have stopped watching or listening to the BBC because of this, then stop paying the licence fee. If you appreciate a good rant, read https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2015/07/16/bbc-cringe-the-norma-desmond-of-broadcasters/

29. Christian Berger

Subscription won't work from a technical standpoint without criminalizing lots of honest users

Essentially it's a form of DRM, and DRM has the logical cryptographic problem of making Bob receive Alice's messages without Bob receiving Alice's messages. So part of Bob has to receive the messages while another part of Bob must not receive them.

The "solution" Pay-TV providers choose to use is to enforce not the Common Interface, but CI+ which requires Bob's receiver into acting against the will of Bob, turning off all the advantages of digital television.

Also if you look at the world, subscription TV services have failed nearly everywhere, however the more you force people into them, the better they work. Murdoch forced satellite viewers in the UK to subscribe to his services by scrambling nearly all channels in the 1990s. Sky UK now can actually do creative fictional programs. Sky Germany always had just one of many channels, so people didn't bother. The result is that they essentially play a wild mixture of movies and sports, but no original programs outside of sports.

In the US where cable companies force you into getting Pay-Channels for decades now, they even mildly work, producing well watched programmes like "The Daily Show".

30. David Webb

Correction?

A correction for the end? We do use DVB-T MPEG2, but for SD signals, for HD we actually do use DBV-T2 MPEG4, which is fair enough, 2 is fine for DVD quality, 4 for HD so I can't see why we would need to use MPEG4 for SD transmissions? Unless someone can explain why it would be better.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like