back to article Australian Government hopes to untangle NBN migration mess

Australia's government is looking for industry input into National Broadband Network (NBN) migration policy, and wants submissions by August 20. Communications minister Malcolm Turnbull's statement says the new round of consultation seeks a migration framework that is both industry-led and focussed on the end user. The …

1. Jasonk

Hockey just stated in a recent conference that they are spending $70B on the MTM.

2. aberglas

Why force people to move?

I have never understood why we need to force people to move in the first place. If they are happy with their copper then why not let them stay there until the copper eventually rots away.

Anthony

1. mathew42
      Unhappy

Re: Why force people to move?

Because without those customers on the NBN, the financial viability of the NBN is called further into question. One would think that the $800 per customer that Labor agreed to pay Telstra for each customer to be migrated would be ample incentive for Telstra.

Clearly those not migrating to the NBN don't understand the benefits. However if they don't use more than 10GB/month then they may find that 4G is a cheaper solution.

2. Tac Eht Xilef

Because, in many cases, the copper is already rotting away?

(One of the silly things about Malcolm's version of the NBN is that it replaces the bit that isn't rotting away, and then tries to run high-speed data over the bit that is rotting away...)

1. mathew42

> Because, in many cases, the copper is already rotting away?

Is it really many cases or a few? The copper connecting my home was direct buried in the 50s and apart from a couple of contractors going through it with a backhoe it has performed as expected.

1. Jasonk

Well according to iiNet and contractors it's many. Contractors claim upto 70% of the network inst upto scratch. iiNet the only company that has built FTTN in this country has said most faults are in the last mile of cooper.

3. AnthonyP69

Why do you need to switch your PSTN service

If the NBN is using the MTM tech why does anyone need to switch there services? I would assume that the PSTN line in a Cable area would not be touched.

If you are getting FTTN then NBN should be wiring the PSTN line back into the Telstra exchange after they cut and split your existing line on to the FTTN MUX.

1. mathew42
      FAIL

Re: Why do you need to switch your PSTN service

Because at this point in time we are still discussing Labor's incompetent NBN implementation.

1. DiViDeD

Re:we are still discussing Labor's incompetent NBN implementation.

Aa opposed to the LNP's incompetent installation, of course. It really is time Australian's realised that it simply doesn't matter what colour rosette a weasel is wearing. It's still a weasel. And in most cases, a self serving, incompetent weasel.

4. Andrew Punch

Untangle a mess of their own making

After 18 months you get cut over. A workman comes, switches you over and you still keep paying Telstra or whoever.

5. DiViDeD

The Errant Apostrophe

Bloody predictive typing. Actually put the spurious apostrophe in Australians to save me the trouble of fucking the sentence up on my own!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like