back to article Facebook's React Native is exciting devs. Or is it, really?

Facebook's React Native framework is hot. The question is, for how long? After all, while Facebook-born React is smoking, it wasn’t very long ago that Google-spawned AngularJS had the web world all a’flutter. Before that, it was Backbone, SproutCore, and a variety of other hot-until-not JavaScript frameworks. On the one hand …

1. FF22

Comparing React to Angular is...

... you know... They are not aiming for the same niche. And they both are aiming for just a niche are of software development. That's why they won't impact neither the JavaScript world, nor the web world overall.

2. Spacedman
    Devil

Search for "Facebook React Native"...

Go to "Getting Started" page...

See "Requirements: OS X"

Close browser tab.

1. Al-Tamimi

React Native apps may target iOS 11.0 and Android 5.0 (API 21) or newer. You may use Windows, macOS, or Linux as your development operating system, though building and running iOS apps is limited to macOS. Tools like Expo can be used to work around this.

3. John 110

@SPACEDMAN

I concur with your subtly stated conclusion that perhaps the article should have mentioned OS X only somewhere near the top so uninterested parties could have stopped reading/started sarky comments efficiently.

4. James 47

I'm not really sure what all this all is, but I'm pretty sure it'll end up with my CPU at 100%

5. clocKwize

This article seems like a mash up between something about react native (a thing that lets you write native apps with react) and a comparison of web frameworks. Are these 2 things related? Not really. Does react native deserve an article? probably not. There are other frameworks that do exactly the same thing, except without react. Its not new(s)

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

And it's a welcome return to champion PR man, Matt Asay… Namedropping and "boosting" his friends' stuff is what he's best at.

Meanwhile, the performance of ReactJS has recently been questioned: https://aerotwist.com/blog/react-plus-performance-equals-what/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Winning the web is the whole darn world.”

Ah, the wisdom of the presentation layer people.

Transactions? Trustworthy/secure data? [etc]

The presentation layer person, and their boss, and their boss, doesn't give a fuck, so long as it looks shiny enough to win the next round of orders.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Winning the web is the whole darn world.”

Without SALES people, none of you developers would have any stable jobs.

Complaining about the sales department is just so much "sour grapes". Rather than complain all the time, you should try it. It's not very easy to sell your shitty product!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Complaining about the sales department is just so much "sour grapes""

Well there's a problem for starters, though not a complete surprise.

A salesperson who has no idea what "presentation layer people" means, and doesn't think to look it up before spouting off (hint: nothing to do with Powerpoint, not really related to 7 layer OSI model either).

I've worked with some fantastic sales folk in my time. The best ones tend to be the ones that know what they don't know, and therefore if in doubt seek advice before opening their mouths (and thereby removing any doubt about their cluelessness).

"Rather than complain all the time, you should try it. It's not very easy to sell your shitty product!"

Been there done that, but from a sales+profit point of view things work better when sales and tech are on the same wavelength, and when the product can do more than impress the PHB with its shininess. Maybe stuff that can actually do what it says on the tin.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Mushroom

Well, at least I now have heard about the MEAN stack: MongoDB, Express.js, AngularJS and Node.js. The mind boggles. What the fuck is that shit and how is it of any use to anybody?

Converting to the MEAN stack gives your development team a number of benefits, the three most significant being a single language from top to bottom, flexibility in deployment platform, and enhanced speed in data retrieval.

More like barely able coders falling over themselves, unable to get any meaningful work done while the applications blow up left and right.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Without SALES people, none of you developers would have any stable jobs.

Because all software is written to be sold, as any fule kno. Companies never develop software for internal use. No one in academia creates software. There's no free software.

2. P. Lee

Transactions?

But this is facebook. They just do advertise one weird trick and hope that someone else, somewhere is making some actual money in order to pay for it.

7. Robert Grant

React Native and Angular not comparable

As already mentioned, this article is weird. ReactJS doesn't compare directly to Angular (for obvious reasons, if you know a little about each of them) and ReactNative is even less comparable, as it's for building native apps with. Why is Angular even being mentioned here?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: React Native and Angular not comparable

Writing about Angular lets Matt cite more tweets.

When you win free-content curation, you win the article.

8. Mikel

Off topic comment here

Facebook's market value is on course to surpass Microsoft's before the end of 2017. Maybe sooner.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Off topic comment here

Unless the crash comes, which won't be long.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Off topic comment here

Remember when Yahoo! hit $110 in December '99? Remember when it hit $4 a couple years later? Good times.

9. Morten Bjoernsvik

YUI anyone

I still see YUI stuff around. Makes me sad when sorting a 100cols x 10000rows table in 30 sec, when it now takes 2 sec using React/webpack (with proper caching).

10. Neil Stansbury

Bah - Yet another ill concieved hipster Framework

If you're going to put CSS in JS code - it's foo bar

If you're going to put HTML in JS code - it's foo bar

If you're going to make me write or call a render() method - it's foo bar

If you're going to make me write a "view" object it's foo bar

Yet another ill conceived re-invention of the wheel;

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Bah - Yet another ill concieved hipster Framework

If you can't be bothered to think of meaningful identifiers, it's "foo bar". I think you meant "FUBAR".

11. captain veg Silver badge

just learn javascript and CSS, FFS

Just what are all these frameworks for, other than to consume bytes and processor cycles? Seems to me that mostly they are to facilitate incompetents to copy and paste code that they really don't understand in order to produce web sites and applications that really don't work very well. The briefest of visits to stackoverflow and its ilk confirms this to be so.

-A.

12. GDI_Lord

Let's add C# to those search terms trend search on Google, shall we?

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=BackboneJS%2C%20EmberJS%2C%20Sproutcore%2C%20c%23&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT%2B6

13. springheeljim

No-one should be using JavaScript anymore.

(We should be using LiveScript.)

14. WatAWorld

Picking the 'latest and greatest' software implies you don't care about the long term

If your managers or owners pick the 'latest and greatest' software for a major project it strongly implies they are either stupid or aren't expecting to be around for the long haul.

15. bartonhammond

React Native is great!

I've written apps with AngularJS and Meteor and React Native now. I was hesitant to go the RN route, but I thought I'd take a couple of days and try to do something.

After a few days, I dumped both AngularJS and Meteor - not because they aren't great solutions with an incredible ecosystem, but rather because I wanted to be as "native" as possible and RN provided that avenue.

Though RN JSX appeared to be an ugly red-headed stepchild at first, I soon realized it was a total mind shift on what makes a "component". I think Facebook has got this right. When I wrote Angular directives and such, if I stepped away from the code for a month or more I couldn't remember all the magic pony tricks it performed. Not so with React Native.

Having no experience with native mobile development, it's daunting to come up to speed on how to actually build an app that can be deployed to your device. It took me a long time and lots of searching to effectively do this. The result is a "starter app" that I've written called Snowflake which I'd like to share with your readers in case they, like I, want something more then a toy todo example yet again.

Snowflake, https://github.com/bartonhammond/snowflake, is an open source, free, React Native iOS/Android "starter app" which uses a single code base that runs on both platforms.

The application is tested using Jest, Facebooks official testing framework, and has over 86% code coverage. Snowflake demonstrates hot reloading and has a code walk through explaining those concepts. It also has Continuous Integration using Bitrise.io so that the final apps are built in the cloud.

Accompanying the CI code and docs are 7 videos of over 45+ minutes of instruction. The code is fully documented (http://bartonhammond.github.io/snowflake/snowflake.js.html)

If your readers have interested in React Native example they might want to look at Snowflake.

Thanks for the article, I believe RN will be hot for a long time...possibly contributing to global warming! ;) -barton

16. Morten Bjoernsvik

I find meteor more productive

Being a mediocre javascript programmer. I found maintaining and tuning my React stack taking too much time. Having several projects in various lifecycle stages on the same server, I always have problems when node.js is being updated.

I then moved to meteor. For me I had to switch to mongoDB from Redis. I find it a bit slower, especially on grapic intensive apps when doing changes. But 'meteor update' has saved me much time and hazzle. and the meteor.is_server() and meteor.is_client() separation is easier for a javascript novice to understand :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like