back to article Tuesday, Wednesday break my heart. Thursday doesn't even start. Friday I'm in .love

Today, Friday, sees the launch of one of the more interesting new internet top-level domains that has been approved by ICANN: .love. The TLD has passed from "sunrise" – during which trademark holders get first dibs on their names for a premium – to "general availability." Which means that you can now buy a domain ending in . …

1. Mark 85

So the corporates missed out?

The PR types are missing out on things like apple.love or Microsoft.love so we can go to those sites and express our fondness for them? <rolleyes><shakes head><wonders what the hell whoever came up with this was thinking--- besides a profit>

2. Ben Tasker
    Stop

While its advertising is amusing, it doesn't seem to have grasped internet domains, however: the company owns neither tubi.tv (its website is at tubitv.com) nor hooli.sucks. So close, yet so far.

So not really the best example that generic TLDs are gaining acceptance after all then?

1. VinceH

"So not really the best example that generic TLDs are gaining acceptance after all then?"

I think Kieren's put two and two together to make five with the hooli.sucks reference. The adverts lack a dot, so they aren't pointing at a domain. It's just designed to look like a Hooli sign, vandalised by someone adding the word 'sucks' - and it therefore probably has nothing to do with the .sucks TLD.

Similarly, I'm not sure why tubi.tv is mentioned (although it would be a logical one for the company to acquire if possible) - the adverts specifically show a link to a page on tubitv.com

3. Yes Me Silver badge
    WTF?

Still puzzled

So has anybody ever explained why any of this is a good idea for anybody except for the moneysucking bottomfeeders (or the other way round) that set up the new registries?

4. Velv
    Joke

Sooooo many possibilities ...

andymurray.love

man.love, and point it at the Russian Government? Or at least an spoofed Russian Government?

actually.love - Richard Curtis?

puppy.love - So many things you could put behind that

1. VinceH

Re: Sooooo many possibilities ...

"puppy.love - So many things you could put behind that"

Ewwwwww.... that's probably illegal in most parts of the world! ;)

hate.love - for those who like to tattoo their knuckles. (Though I think it should really be the other way around, like your Richard Curtis one).

5. Simon Rockman

all_you_need_is

6. Daniel Hall
    Flame

How to give everyone a headache!

Hey,

Whats the name of that website again? Oh yes its theregister..

OK, guess ill try .co.uk first, then maybe .com if that doesnt work.

But now, it could be (or soon to be if this trend continues:

theregister.tech

theregister.news

theregister.<insert one of a thousand other words here>

Obviously using theregister is a bad example as its an established site and everyone knows its extension, but what about newer sites youve been asked to checkout but the person telling you cant remember the extension?

Ahh.. Google..

1. Mark 85

Re: How to give everyone a headache!

Well... to most people, Google is the internet. No need to remember site names in their entirety, no need to have a favorites list....

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: How to give everyone a headache!

"but what about newer sites youve been asked to checkout but the person telling you cant remember the extension?"

Average Joe, whenever they bother to think about an address instead of just searching for it on Google, appear to think all addresses end in .com anyway. I have a .net domain and many's the time I've had to repeat,"no, not dotcom, DOT NET!!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like