back to article SourceForge goes TITSUP thanks to storage fault

Popular source code repository SourceForge is experiencing a Total Inability To Support Usual Performance (TITSUP) incident and appears to be attempting to recover big slabs of the site. Reader David H says he tried to visit the site and received a message that the site is in “disaster recovery mode". The Register's visits to …

1. oldtaku Silver badge
    Trollface

Be funny if some of that malware they love to add to project installers bit them in the ass.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

It's a pile of poo

SC has been down more often in the last 6 months than the previous 6 years. This time even their mailing lists are down.

They are bleeding projects as people get fed up with the outages. The one I work on (Yoshimi) is now mirrored on github, and if this continues we may make it our default repository.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: It's a pile of poo

Dice have no idea how to handle what they've bought.

SF is dead now, in all but name. They tried to bundle the code in adware, trick you into false downloads, and all sorts. It doesn't matter the scope or limits they put on that, you can't do that on an open-source download site.

Slashdot has been on the decline since they took over. The code is still stagnant and doesn't support basics like a pound sign (how hard is it? £ ffs...), but all they've added is irrelevant and somewhat demeaning ads - EVEN IF you were a former subscriber and still have the "Disable Advertising" button. They went through many months of just not knowing what to post and facing user backlash from adverts posing as serious article.

Dice have basically killed two of the most famous IT sites by trying to turn them into shovelware/advertising sites.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

It is known as "delivering shareholder value"

In buckets.

1. Elmer Phud

More of a 'suppository' than 'repository'?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The one I work on (Yoshimi) is now mirrored on github, and if this continues we may make it our default repository.

Just move already.

3. Phuq Witt
    Thumb Up

Well Done Reg!

Two jokes in one sentence:

"...Popular source code repository SourceForge is experiencing a Total Inability To Support Usual Performance (TITSUP)..."

1: TITSUP

2: Referring to Sourceforge as "popular"

4. CAPS LOCK

The Curse of Dice...

.. 'and death shall come on swift wings to Dice acquisitions'

5. MrWibble

Hopefully someone took it out back and put a shotgun to its head.

6. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

What the **** is it with a live link to SourceForge.net and getting blapped with spamvertisements? :/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Cloud

Your data and services on someone else's computers, over which you have no control.

8. Justin Clift

Good

I hope they don't recover. Really.

9. phil dude
    WTF?

don't want to scare folks but...

Github has a need for flash on its site - I'm not sure where as I only get the firefox "WARNING!! Retarded plugin".

So if SF is crap, perhaps GH is not far behind....

Thank Goodness git *itself* is a distributed system...

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: don't want to scare folks but...

Github has a need for flash on its site ...

It won't be in anything critical. Flash isn't installed on my system at all, and GitHub works well (has for ages).

If it's any help, Adblock Plus might get rid of the Flash warning for you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: don't want to scare folks but...

I'm pretty sure the only use for Flash on GitHub is the copy URL-to-clipboard button for people that are too lazy to select+copy for themselves.

10. Christopher Edwards

This is so bloody Inconvenient

I know SF is an utter utter utter piece of crap that peddles crap ware etc. etc. but does it also have to be down all the time. I mean they could peddle the adware AND have decent up time.

I have to use it after all. Hopefully after this SNAFU I'll have to use it less often.

11. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Still down

and still no news.

My main concern now is the users list, which is also inaccessible this time. Unfortunately github doesn't run a list server as far as I know.

It's not a huge list for our project but it's not tiny either, so the idea of sending bulk BCCs to keep people up-to-date is not exactly appealing.

12. thames

@Will Godfrey - SF have effectively been dead since Dice bought them and worked their death magic on them. SF are a zombie who is still shambling forward for now, but they're dead and I can't see how they can be resurrected. Put it behind you and move on.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Unhappy

Yes, I pretty much came to that conclusion but when you leave 'home' it's a good idea to also leave a forwarding address. We've done that for the project itself, but where can we point the users to for an equivalent for the mailing list? I don't have the facilities for setting up one myself - besides it shouldn't be dependent on just one geriatric.

It's all a bit of a mess!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Google Groups is a free alternative that some places have gone with.

I personally don't like their web interface, but it's possible to use them like a standard mailing list too (eg subscribe to get emails), not going through the web interface. ElasticSearch moved to them a while ago, and apparently they're doing well there.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would love to know the storage vendor that essentially took down a company.

Really really curious...

14. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Stop

At this time (UK evening 21st), the code repository is still down.

So 4 days for DR to come though and counting. Guys, are you serious about being a place to trust?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like