back to article NASA boffins peer at Pluto: Could it be ... is that ... OATMEAL?

NASA has released the latest data sent back by its New Horizons probe and it includes images of smooth, segmented plains, possible hydrocarbon deposits and our first look at Pluto's moon, Nix. Youtube Video Alan Stern, principal investigator of the New Horizons team, explained at a press conference on Friday that NASA had …

1. Steve Button Silver badge

Oatmeal?

Porridge. There fixed that for you.

1. DropBear

Re: Oatmeal?

That's okay, I have no idea what either is...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Headmaster

Stand still, laddie!!

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

No oatmeal for you!

1. Mpeler
        Paris Hilton

"similar to those seen near Mars' North Pole"...

Not oatmeal.

Batter.

Couldn't get to Mars, so had to batter the next best thing...

Paris, because she's, er, batter (even if not fried),,,

2. Mark 85

Now we know...

where all that oatmeal or porridge that we wouldn't eat as kids went. And mom used to say she was going to send it to some starving kid in China... Ha!!!!!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now we know...

I see this as solid confirmation that porridge is alien jism, and I was right all along to avoid eating it!

Score: spoiled brat 1, common sense, good health and my long-suffering parents nil

3. Johnny Canuck

porridge

When I was young and we were living in northern Ontario country, I used to love hot porridge with brown sugar and milk for breakfast during the winter. We never got it any other time so I guess I didn't have time to get tired of it.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

" complex hydrocarbons that had fallen from the sky "

It's raining oil

A space mission that could actually make a profit?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: " complex hydrocarbons that had fallen from the sky "

The solar system has plenty of fuel, but oxidiser is far more restricted (AFAIK, only available on Earth). There is lots of water which can be broken up into fuel an oxidiser - if you bring a nuclear reactor. The only big advantage of resources in space is when you want them in space and can avoid the cost of rocketing them off Earth.

Plenty of space missions make a profit. Almost all of them only went as far as Earth orbit. There were claims that tourist revenue paid for the moon landings (I have not seen real accounts, and even if true, I am sure Mickey Mouse gave a bigger financial return on investment.)

5. tony2heads
    Alien

Sputnik Planum

They heard that the earthmen were sending a camera, so they tried to plaster over the cracks.

It looks like my attempts with polyfilla (spackle for our American readers)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Horizons is currently measuring as it orbits the far side of the planetoid"

The only thing New Horizons is orbiting is the centre of the galaxy (unless by a series of miraculous slingshots it gets captured by another solar system in a few thousand or million years). I think you mean it's peering at Pluto's rapidly dwindling backside?

But +1 for "planetoid"; cracking good Defender clone and a fine sample of Acornsoft's heyday. Time to fire up "BeebEm" :-)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tenzing Norgay

Norgay was not just the first Sherpa climber of Everest. He was the first climber in the world. (Unless Edmund Hillary somehow staggered in front of him)

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Tenzing Norgay

I'm not sure where you got that from, but the only people who know whether Tenzing or Ed were the first to knock the bastard off, were Tenzing and Ed, and they took the secret to their graves.

8. Your alien overlord - fear me

Sorry, did they say 'wind driven'? So this non-planet has a round moon, is round itself and now has an atmosphere. Time to upgrade it again since these are the same particulars as Mars.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not at all.

You may remember the "Twilight Zone" series wherein unknown asteroids could have totally 1G gravity and a normal oxygen atmosphere.

9. x 7

1) " blown into cervices........." So how many women are there on Pluto? Or are these animal cervices?

2) "New Horizons is currently measuring as it orbits the far side of the planetoid." Is it really? I thought this was just a flypast

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Planet of the gigantic women!!

"New Horizons is currently measuring ass, it orbits the far side of the planetoid"

2. x 7

is

I see the cervices have been corrected.......that screws up any joke about the images being a bit smeary........

more seriously, I've been racking my brains to understand what Moore was getting at here: "Moore speculated that they were complex hydrocarbons that had fallen from the sky and been blown into crevices on Pluto's surface, noting that similar features can be found on Earth."

Just where on earth do you get buildups of complex hydrocarbons falling from the sky?

10. David Pollard

Obligatory xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1551/

11. Ru'

If there's oatmeal/porridge then that explains the massive spoon (leaves the bottom of the screen about 24 seconds into the video)!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

"...bubbling up"?

I think if Sputnik Planum were really bubbling you would see some surface effects that were a wee more dramatic. I think the geophys' who thought that one up should look at what happens when you have a very still, quite thin liquid layer containing mixed components that has a heat flux passing through it for a very long time.

it creates cell-like structures which look just like what you see here. In our primordial soup it is theorised that it eventually gave rise to the first cellular structures and eventually organisms. Each cell has warm fluid rising at the centre and descending at the boundaries. Interactions between the chemicals involved create increasingly complex molecules which are eventually subject to phase changes over the temperature ranges and this can physically build 'cell walls' and this might further accelerate the process of wall building.

So yea, The surface "could have been formed last week for all we know". The centre of each cell will certainly be constantly refreshing as the edges 'subduct'. Perhaps we a looking at the first example of a Megafauna Extremophile!!! Someone just needs to go there and stir the porridge a bit before it invades Earth. Or.. just rename it to Plut-Ovum and leave any future problems for another species to worry about.

BTW: I wonder if the walls of these cells are like hydrocarbon biscuit. Mining them and ship them back to Earth and you could market the stuff as "Manna from Heaven"! It might feed our planet until we work out how to turn Earth into the Promised Land.

1. cray74

Re: "...bubbling up"?

"I think if Sputnik Planum were really bubbling you would see some surface effects that were a wee more dramatic"

The bubbling activity of rock in Earth's mantle and various diapirs (like a salt diapir) happen without fast drama.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon