back to article Space Station 'nauts dive for cover from flying Soviet junk

The International Space Station's crew sought refuge in the orbiting science lab's lifeboat on Thursday after NASA warned the habitat could be hit by flying satellite debris. Russian cosmonauts Gennady Padalka and Mikhail Kornienko and American astronaut Scott Kelly crammed themselves into the Soyuz podule that's attached to …

1. Mark 85

I've wondered about this every time they have had to dive into the lifeboat....

Is the Soyuz debris proof or just a smaller target?

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Re: I've wondered about this every time they have had to dive into the lifeboat....

It's a much smaller target, and can detach in seconds and return to Earth without needing any pre-planning, in the event that the ISS suffered serious damage. In terms of debris proof, it would be practically impossible - there are all sorts of things up there in all sports of orbits that could intersect with huge amounts of energy.

1. Tom 13
        Joke

Re: sports of orbits

Wait, I didn't know the ISS had put in a bid to host the Olympics.

I expect a lot of records will be broken if they win!

2. DJO Silver badge

Re: I've wondered about this every time they have had to dive into the lifeboat....

Is the Soyuz debris proof or just a smaller target?

Presumably the capsule is at the back of the ISS so any debris would have to pass through the entire station before impacting the Soyuz capsule.

1. Hairy Spod

"Presumably the capsule is at the back of the ISS so any debris would have to pass through the entire station before impacting the Soyuz capsule"

Does space have a one way system?

1. DJO Silver badge

Does space have a one way system

The ISS is not stationary, any object in the same orbit going in the same direction will be going at roughly the same speed and thus presents a low risk, objects going in the opposite direction will have a colossal closing speed but will impact at the "front" of the station so the back can be protected (a bit). Objects in non-equatorial orbits may cross the ISS orbit at an angle but there are fewer of these and have a far lower probability of impact.

1. druck Silver badge

DLO, it's much worse than that. There are thousands of bits of debris in intersecting orbits with inclinations ranging from equatorial to polar, and even some retrograde. There is also the issue intersections from debris in highly elliptical orbits such as booster stages.

Basically the ISS could be hit from any direction, front/back/left/right/up/down, so there isn't really a safe place to put the Soyuz, but luckily it is built like and old tank compared to the rest of the station.

1. DJO Silver badge

Basically the ISS could be hit from any direction

Not from behind, any (unpowered) object in the same orbit will be moving at the same speed, if it's at a different speed it'll either gain or lose altitude until it's in a stable orbit, in extreme cases it'll escape or decay and burn up.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

That's not quite right. The ISS is in a roughly circular orbit, but an object in a highly elliptical orbit (just short of escape velocity) could be moving at up to 41% greater velocity if it encountered the ISS whilst at its perigee, even if approaching from behind. And 41% of 11.2km/s (LEO orbital velocity) is enough to do serious damage.

1. DJO Silver badge

That's not quite right. The ISS is in a roughly circular orbit, but an object in a highly elliptical orbit...

Absolutely correct, however that is a remote possibility while object impacting from the front with a high closing velocity are far more likely to present a problem. Given the low orbit the ISS occupies and the location of most orbital crud (higher than the ISS) by far the safest place to put the escape capsule is at the back of the craft, having at the back also means that pushing it away from the ISS would slow it down a bit so it could make an easier return to the Earth.

1. Adrian Midgley 1

there isn't a one way system, but almost everything in orbit

was put there going the same way round[1].

What differs is the inclination of the orbits, up to about 90 degrees if you consider polar orbits, but mostly only a few degrees.

[1] Because the delta-V is 2000mph less if you launch with the Earth's rotation from the equator than if you launch against it.

2. Dwarf

Lasers

They need lasers and those gyro chairs they have in star wars, it will be entertainments for those long days in space.

Seriously though, I thought that there was a debris capture programme that was supposed to be sorting this issue out ?

At least that's what a news web site reported in 2011, see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/01/space_debris/

Later in 2015 we were told it exists

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/07/swiss_spaceship_sucks_satellite_scrap/

3. Graham Marsden
    Joke

"including delivery charges the fuel costs nearly $10,000 per pound"

Blimey, do they send it Parcel Force...?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "including delivery charges the fuel costs nearly $10,000 per pound"

It's the huge, dangerous, noisy, disposable delivery vehicles.

And they're real gas hogs, oy.

2. Mark 85

I think this comes under the heading of "Registered, 2 day or less, insured" delivery... gold plated packaging is, of course, extra.

1. SteveK

Meanwhile, the 'Russian debris' was actually delivered by Yodel (or whatever name they're using this month), they didn't bother going and knocking on the door of the ISS and just lobbed it over the fence.

1. Elmer Phud

Jeez- they actually bothered to bung it over the fence?

I thought it was always left out as a temporary pissoir for dogs.

2. launcap Silver badge
          Mushroom

> they didn't bother going and knocking on the door of the ISS and just lobbed it over the fence.

Or in my case, leaving a highly nickable consignment (booze) out on the front doorstep, in full view of the pavement. Instead of ACTUALLY DOING WHAT THE DELIVERY INSTRUCTIONS (printed on the box) SPECIFIED!

<pant, pant>

Just as well my $BOOZEVENDOR$ is happy to take my word for non-delivery of items.

(Icon describes what should be done to Yodel. Nuking from orbit is the only way to be sure)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or even Parcel Farce...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh those evil Russians...

Because one can't write an article these days without pointing a finger at Russia...

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Oh those evil Russians...

Only if it was, in fact, part of an old Soviet craft. Which it is.

Recently the worst offender is the Chinese with their anti-satellite test that cause a huge cloud of debris, largely higher than the ISS orbit. Most Chinese scientists were appalled by it, but of course you do as the leaders tell you.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

http://stuffin.space/

The oldest remnant was, IIRC, launched in 1956, and don't forget the fuckers who've tested their anti-satellite weapons which, as you'd expect, turn a single debris object into 80,000 debris objects.

6. Alister
    Headmaster

"The data on the possible close pass was received too late and was not sufficiently precise enough"

Eww... The NASA bloke needs to learn English, the data was either not precise enough, or was not sufficiently precise, but it can't be both together...

1. Elmer Phud

" but it can't be both together..."

Nah, it's all quantum these days, innit.

7. Mark Simon

The obvious irony

… in seeking protection from the Russian debris by sheltering in the Russian space craft. Surely it won’t hit one of its own?

8. Sporkinum

Anyone else remember the crappy sitcom Quark, about a space garbage man?

1. x 7

"Anyone else remember the crappy sitcom Quark, about a space garbage man?"

No, but the idea sounds strangely charming....

1. JCitizen
        Happy

I had completely forgotten that one!

@ x 7 - If I had known as a young man that it was the satire it was, I think I'd have watched it. We were all tired of gummy space stories by then.

2. Mark Simon

Mank you for reminding me …

Thank you!

You’re Melcome

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like